Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So is wind noise really an issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my app specifies dB, so I'm making the assumption it's unweighted (neither A nor C).

I'm less interested in absolute dB accuracy and more how the readings differed between the two cars. My numbers seem lower than most, so the calibration could be off. However in a dead quiet room in the house, it was reading the proper levels (18dB), and when I spoke normally, the app registered as conversation level dBs. So it's probably not too far off.

Interesting. I don't have enough gapping in my existing seals between the glass to wedge this thing in there. I think that's why I'm getting dB readings in the 50s range when I test for wind noise.

This does point to inconsistency of the OEM seals around the glass.

Agreed that masking tape should be the first step before committing to the purchase. You should be able to measure the difference with a dB app on your phone if indeed the wind noise is caused by these seams.

I just took my Model 3 home yesterday and drove for over 100 miles at 80+ mph. I was specifically listening for excessive wind noise due to this thread and I'm happy to report that my particular car is super quiet. It's the quietest car we own right now other than maybe our 200 series Land Cruiser (when it was on street tires).

Hats off to RPM tesla,
they definitely try to make things affordable, unlike TSportlines with their $110 screws for the 18 inch wheels which I think is an insult to their customers.

I am going to order this part from RPM tesla. If anything I suspect it will make the pano roof look better. The gaps on the pano roof look definitely large to me. It looks off.

Interesting. I don't have enough gapping in my existing seals between the glass to wedge this thing in there. I think that's why I'm getting dB readings in the 50s range when I test for wind noise.

This does point to inconsistency of the OEM seals around the glass.

Agreed that masking tape should be the first step before committing to the purchase. You should be able to measure the difference with a dB app on your phone if indeed the wind noise is caused by these seams.
@novox77 would you be willing to snap a photo of how tight your gap is? Ideally with a ruler for scale? It would be helpful to understand the range of these gaps as we "solve" noise issues.

@novox77 would you be willing to snap a photo of how tight your gap is? Ideally with a ruler for scale? It would be helpful to understand the range of these gaps as we "solve" noise issues.

Happy to in a few days. The car is at the service center! I found some scuffs on the rear bumper post-delivery (I live in NH, and Tesla has to deliver direct to my house because there's no NH service center. I cannot pick up at the MA service center or MA will force me to pay sales tax).

To clarify, the panel gap itself is normal, but the OEM seals look good. If I applied the RPM solution, I'd be crushing the OEM seals, and I don't think I really want to do that.

Ok so I am trying it.
View attachment 296967

I also had screen spline lying around. I would go with this size in the picture. Make sure it is the circular kind. NOT the flat kind.

View attachment 296957
I had such a big gap I had to use the backer rod. The smallest backer rod they sell.

View attachment 296961

Here is the spline in the gaps

Also I can use this dental tool to pull up the screen spline to keep it flush with the frame

View attachment 296963

View attachment 296965

This is a long view of the spline

I posted this under another thread. I actually tried circular screen spline. 25 ft is all you need. .19 or .22 size will fill in the gaps. Cost less then 5.00. I did have to use backer rod for one huge gap as seen above in the thumbnail pic. Not sure if it makes a difference. I do not have a decibel meter. I did drive around and it all stayed in place. Plus the wind noise does not bother me really. But wanted to be helpful and save you all some money.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Hats off to RPM tesla,
they definitely try to make things affordable, unlike TSportlines with their $110 screws for the 18 inch wheels which I think is an insult to their customers.

I am going to order this part from RPM tesla. If anything I suspect it will make the pano roof look better. The gaps on the pano roof look definitely large to me. It looks off.

Look above..also on another thread listed on the forum entitled wind reduction, problems with breakage of material when applying.