Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh the other thing that annoyed me intensely was him conflating efficiency with range, which is fine if you are discussing cars of a single fuel type, but in this context electric cars are always more efficient that fossil fuel counterparts. Range is a different discussion.

There was loads of stuff in the video like this but it seems to have been received with rapturous applause.

Oh the other thing that annoyed me intensely was him conflating efficiency with range, which is fine if you are discussing cars of a single fuel type, but in this context electric cars are always more efficient that fossil fuel counterparts. Range is a different discussion.

There was loads of stuff in the video like this but it seems to have been received with rapturous applause.
I’m not saying that EV’s aren’t more efficient and of course as we move to more renewable energy production then actually some level of inefficiency shouldn’t have much impact on the environment either so it’s all good.

However not sure I agree with these 130mpge ratings that they try to use to compare fuel based cars to EV’s. It doesn’t factor in the losses you get when charging the car I believe nor the energy losses in a power station if it’s fossil fuel based. As said I’m sure EV’s are more efficient but guess I’m saying that it’s not easy to compare that efficiency against an ICE. The method they have currently seems flawed.

I don’t think this is the main point of his video though. It’s at least when you look at the Range Rover Sport, the diesel is vastly cheaper than the PHEV if your a private buyer. It’s maybe slightly skewed stats as the APR on the diesel is much lower and it has a deposit contribution which the PHEV doesn’t have because there’s a longer lead time on those from all the company sales.

It would be interesting if you removed all the incentives to buy an EV, what would demand really be then. I suspect extremely low.

It would be interesting if you removed all the incentives to buy an EV, what would demand really be then. I suspect extremely low.
Especially if they took away the company car tax benefit. Just about everyone I know with an EV has done it as a company car because of the pretty big tax savings. But of course some will still argue the government are doing virtually nothing to encourage EV adoption.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
It would also be interesting if all the subsidies around fossil fuel exploration and drilling were removed. For balance, like.
Sure but to even the playing field they’d need to remove the tax at the pump and road tax also. The cost per mile on an ICE would drop significantly. It’s already with all the tax often cheaper than an EV using public charging, it would be heading down to the cost of running an EV with home charging at 7.5p per kWh.

Reactions: ACarneiro
It's hard to disagree with many of the reasons highlighted here....

The Government have removed most of the incentives for private buyers and there are too many inefficient EV adaptations of ICE cars which disappoint first time buyers (but Tesla does get a positive mention although lengthy delays in sourcing parts for repairs impacts on spiralling insurance costs).
Harry always tries to give an impression that he's very well informed and backs his arguments up with data, until you actually listen to what he says and you realise that his conclusions are simply nonsense.

From that video I would agree with him on

* lots of larger EVs simply aren't efficient and that means their range isn't great
* most public chargers seem pretty expensive
* expensive but useless cars devalue a lot

however to reach a conclusion that a Diesel Land Rover is the best solution is nonsensical. By his own admission Tesla are delivering efficiency, and as we know SuperCharging is priced fairly, and other than on the occasions you make long journeys it's a time and hassle saver to charge at home rather than line Putin's pockets at the petrol station.

Still he'll get another chance to pick more sensibly in a few weeks when his Range Rover is stolen.

Harry always tries to give an impression that he's very well informed and backs his arguments up with data, until you actually listen to what he says and you realise that his conclusions are simply nonsense.

From that video I would agree with him on

* lots of larger EVs simply aren't efficient and that means their range isn't great
* most public chargers seem pretty expensive
* expensive but useless cars devalue a lot

however to reach a conclusion that a Diesel Land Rover is the best solution is nonsensical. By his own admission Tesla are delivering efficiency, and as we know SuperCharging is priced fairly, and other than on the occasions you make long journeys it's a time and hassle saver to charge at home rather than line Putin's pockets at the petrol station.

Still he'll get another chance to pick more sensibly in a few weeks when his Range Rover is stolen.
He made it clear that he tows a lot so a Range Rover Sport makes sense for him. He’s talking about why he made a decision for him with that car choice.

The theft rate on the new ones is low. Ever since they put in UWB into their keys a few years ago. It’s sadly the older ones that are stolen all the time.

He made it clear that he tows a lot so a Range Rover Sport makes sense for him. He’s talking about why he made a decision for him with that car choice.

The theft rate on the new ones is low. Ever since they put in UWB into their keys a few years ago. It’s sadly the older ones that are stolen all the time.
ok, it'll catch fire and burn down a car park.

• Disagree
Reactions: FastLaneJB
Tax =/= subsidies
I don’t think you need subsidies for the world to manufacture and make fuel. You might need it to push the market into going into the North Sea where it’s more expensive than getting fuel from other countries. If you don’t subside then you cannot make tax revenues off the production in the first place if they never setup shop there. I think it’s also partially a matter of national security. When you still need fuels for the country to operate, you want to have some local production if at all possible.

Anyway I’m all for EV’s. I buy my cars based on the fact that I enjoy cars so I’m not picking one solely based on price or cost to run. Most people do though and the EV at the moment only makes sense to most people when there’s government incentives to help sell them.

ok, it'll catch fire and burn down a car park.
One car. Ultimately bad things happen sometimes with all products. People have been riding around with flammable liquids powering their cars a long time without worrying about it or having that much of a safety issue. Now we sit on top of batteries that could electrocute us and can also burn quite well but don’t worry about that either.

a0xJKJR.png

That's a bit on an NRA style excuse. When one brand of car is regularly involved in crime, fires or horrendous accidents pretty consistently then it's fair to suggest that we would be better off without them.
We should stop as we have derailed this thread but I’m here on an EV forum and own 2 EV’s now and zero ICE cars. I also am I private buyer on my car with no tax breaks from buying it. I’m not disagreeing with that point. I was merely saying many people don’t have an issue with their ICE and until you make it cheaper for them to own an EV, they won’t be interested in buying one. Hence why private buyers of EV’s is dropping, not going up.

Reactions: ACarneiro

We are going off topic here but Im going to agree with most of what he said and nit pick a few bits from memory.

Goes on about insurance and buys a range rover.

Electricity at home is not zero VAT unless you have solar.

His co2 percentages from private cars or cars/trucks etc as a whole does not account for the logistics and refinement involved before it gets to the pumps.

Talks about efficiencies but fails to mention the actual efficiency of the internal combustion engine.

I do like his videos but this one was a bit more about him than the average Joe.

Very honourable if not generous that he didn't put the rover through their business or even a business (youtube??) .

We are going off topic here but Im going to agree with most of what he said and nit pick a few bits from memory.

Goes on about insurance and buys a range rover.

Electricity at home is not zero VAT unless you have solar.

His co2 percentages from private cars or cars/trucks etc as a whole does not account for the logistics and refinement involved before it gets to the pumps.

Talks about efficiencies but fails to mention the actual efficiency of the internal combustion engine.

I do like his videos but this one was a bit more about him than the average Joe.

Very honourable if not generous that he didn't put the rover through their business or even a business (youtube??) .
Yes I must admit the bit that got me was him worrying about the monthly payments when he’s got a barn full of cars. I don’t think he’s short of a few bob.