Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chain for 20" sport wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is my main concern with those images, and the text Tesla uses (“tires approved by Tesla”): it is confusing and potentially dangerous.

There are two reasons why you should not attempt to drive in snow with the standard summer tires that come with the Performance model:
  1. They are summer tires. They will be positively dangerous in cold weather, and at the first hint of snow.
  2. The California Department of Transportation clearly states you need “snow” tires (all-seasons are ok) to pass chain controls: Chain Controls
So both common sense and the law should be enough to convince folks to not attempt to go for the snowy hills of CA with the standard tires. Chains or not.
If something happens, it is guaranteed that the police report will note the type of tires on your car, and your insurance will definitely find that fact to be enough to deny coverage.

That is my main concern with those images, and the text Tesla uses (“tires approved by Tesla”): it is confusing and potentially dangerous.

There are two reasons why you should not attempt to drive in snow with the standard summer tires that come with the Performance model:
  1. They are summer tires. They will be positively dangerous in cold weather, and at the first hint of snow.
  2. The California Department of Transportation clearly states you need “snow” tires (all-seasons are ok) to pass chain controls: Chain Controls
So both common sense and the law should be enough to convince folks to not attempt to go for the snowy hills of CA with the standard tires. Chains or not.
If something happens, it is guaranteed that the police report will note the type of tires on your car, and your insurance will definitely find that fact to be enough to deny coverage.

#2, what? Your link clearly states that S rated tires are not required if you have chains on.

“chains required on all vehicles except.. with snow rated tires”

In other words, unless you have s tires on, in R-1 conditions, chains are required. In R-2 conditions, if you don’t have snow tires on and don’t have awd, chains are required. Nowhere does it say that chains must be used in conjunction with s tires.

#2, what? Your link clearly states that S rated tires are not required if you have chains on.

“chains required on all vehicles except.. with snow rated tires”

In other words, unless you have s tires on, in R-1 conditions, chains are required. In R-2 conditions, if you don’t have snow tires on and don’t have awd, chains are required. Nowhere does it say that chains must be used in conjunction with s tires.
I’m not sure I am following. Here is the text from DOT:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires1 on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices2 are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
1 Snow-tread Tires: The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.”

R-1: chains are required unless you have snow tires on at least 2 drive wheels.
R-2: chains are required unless you have snow tires on at least 4 drive wheels.

You don’t need snow tires if you have chains on.

R-1: chains are required unless you have snow tires on at least 2 drive wheels.
R-2: chains are required unless you have snow tires on at least 4 drive wheels.

You don’t need snow tires if you have chains on.
OK, I see it now. I still would not do that. I know it means I need new tires or new wheels and tires, but I would not head for the mountains on anything less than all-season tires. And I had all-seasons (no chains) on a rental Volvo XC90 in Colorado in December, and once in the mountains with snow on the road, avoiding a deer out of a turn meant ABS firing like crazy, and the car plowing straight. the deer was kind enough to move out of the way...
And I still wonder how one’s insurance would react to an incident where one had summer tires on, chains on the back wheels (as mandated by Tesla) and ends up in a ditch in an R1-2-3 situation. That text above allows that.
It also allows fully bald tires for that matter, but I assume another part of the California Vehicle Code covers that.