Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air - Efficiency gained at highway speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 1% range increase with SAS seems insignificant to me (you should never plan a trip where your margin of error for running out of battery power is just 1%) but if you have a steep driveway and need the extra clearance obviously SAS is worth having. The argument that it is necessary for speed bumps I find unconvincing: I've never scraped on a speed bump in my car with coils. If you think you need SAS to go over speed bumps, you're going to fast.

Last edited:
The 1% equates to 2.7 miles on the 85D. Come on!? I'm torn because the long-term costs with the air are pretty significant. I'm convinced on the 19"s because they provide 3% more than the 21"s PLUS they last longer AND are cheaper to replace. But 3% is almost 10 miles of range on the 85D. That's significant. I don't see the 1%/2.7 miles would really make a difference.

The post you quoted started with: "Air suspension is lots more valuable than the lowering at speed."

Yet you then chose to question the value of the 1% increase in efficiency, saying, "Come on!?", as if the poster was suggesting that was the reason to get the air suspension. It's pretty clear that neither the poster you quoted, nor anyone else that has posted was suggesting anyone justify the cost of the air suspension based on the increased efficiency gained from lowering at speed.