Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sluggish wipers 2014 Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even with the fixed fastest speed the wipers seem noticeably slower than every other car I've had apart from an old 1960s car. In heavy rain the screen just isn't cleared quickly enough compared to every other car I've had. Auto seems to go to the fastest speed but that fastest speed isn't fast enough.

What solutions are there?

New tesla wiper motors and linkage?
Different wiper motor brand with the same linkage?

Fiddling with the linkage so that it moves more freely on the assumption it's got gummed up over the years and that's why it's so slow?

Is there an updated version of the wiper mechanism in later cars that could be used instead?

My feeling is the wiper system is about 1/3 to 1/2 too slow on the top speed which is significant.

I haven't used RainX as that usually needs too much maintenance. Wipers need to work adequately and I'd expect all modern cars to get such a basic thing as wiper speed ok.

Is there a calibration menu or some way of cheating to force the top speed to be a bit faster?

I haven't found the wiper speed to be a problem, but I also use Aquapel. It's like RainX, but it lasts for months, not weeks. On the highway I generally don't even turn the wipers on unless it's very misty. If the rain overwhelms my wipers now, it's a sign I should have evacuated before the hurricane arrived.

Reactions: srichards
The wipers on Tesla Model S cars have been a consistent annoyance for me going back to our 2013 versions. The sensitivity to start isn't reactive enough causing them to take forever to start and the highest speed they go is probably half that of other car manufacturers. This latter annoyance is only an issue during massive downpours but if you find yourself in that situation it's creates incredibly dangerous situation unless you pull over and wait it out. I would guess that the "high" setting on these cars is about the "medium" speed setting on previous cars we've owned. If you search here you'll see lots of complaints over the years and Tesla basically has ignored these. Pretty lame for a company who claims safety is a pillar of theirs.

Reactions: srichards
It is indeed a safety issue. Random sudden heavy rain seems to be a feature of UK weather. The auto also slows down a lot when you drive more slowly so on roundabouts you can be left unable to see properly as they've slowed down too far.

The wiper motor is only a motor. I'm curious as to how the wiper speeds are set and whether they can be interfered with in any way.

Just found a very useful thread with some tech info on it.

Tesla have a replacement in their parts catalogue. Wiper RHD Module 1028699-00-C This is the motor and the base which connects onto the wiper arms as far as I can tell.

I assume there is a LHD one for LHD cars. Does the C indicate it's the 3rd go they've had?? I do hope it's not going to need a software update to work properly like the boot struts did.

Going to be fitted this week which will ensure dry weather for months :)