Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show off your aftermarket wheels.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
honestly just based it on everyone else’s sizing on the forum. i later thought about why i didn’t go 295 instead of just following what everyone else was running...but it ended up working out because there is a chance you will run into a clearance issue up front. not with the fenders but with the inner tire and some of the suspension components. i believe there are two of us who ran into this issue running bridgestone 285’s which i guess have sidewalls that protrude more than usual. supposedly easily solved with a 3mm spacer. so id imagine you’d probably have to do that with 295’s

Reactions: Fastcar
In my case 285/35/20 was the recommended tire from Jamie @ Signature Wheels. Frankly, considering the beating the rear rocker panels/wheel arches are taking from rocks kicked up by the front 285s, I can't imagine going any wider. I will say that at even non-Plaid launches, I am getting wheel spin and that might be the only rationale to go wider, but I'm not sure the 295s would be any different.

I have two sets of 20” tires - pilot sport 4 all seasons and pirelli PZ4 MO1 (Mercedes AMG spec). Both sets are 265/40R20 fronts and 295/35R20 rears.

I have realized that the pirelli tread width is almost an inch less than the PS4AS and that results in very different traction profiles (obviously). Interestingly, wh/mile ain’t that off.

I get more traction control kicking in with the wider PS4AS than I do with the narrower pirellis. Now sure the pirellis are 280treadwear compared to the 500 PS4AS and that probably has a lot to do with it.

What I’m saying is that going by tire size ain’t all you need to focus on. You need to experiment with treadwidth and compound softness.

I know that when I replace the pirellis with the latest Pilot Sport S 5 (yes you read that right - getting them shipped from Dubai) , I will be very curious about the tread width (not listed yet) and report back here !

Reactions: SignatureSales
What made you go 285 over 295? I just ordered my wheels so looking for tire input thanks

I chose 245 / 295 because it is one of the closest in heigt combinations you can do, depending on the front width…

245 / 285 for me is still “ok” and I currently have a set with this combination because it is the closest in width combination, but it also depends on wheel width…. I’m my case 9 / 10.5

Hope this helps some else when deciding wheel sizes for 22”

I chose 245 / 295 because it is one of the closest in heigt combinations you can do, depending on the front width…

245 / 285 for me is still “ok” and I currently have a set with this combination because it is the closest in width combination, but it also depends on wheel width…. I’m my case 9 / 10.5

Hope this helps some else when deciding wheel sizes for 22”
How did you manage the weight rating? 245/30 seems like it can barely handle the weight of a Corolla, leave alone a 5000lb car

Last edited:
IMG_5816.JPG
IMG_5835a.JPG
IMG_5832a.JPG

Got the 19" TSportline TSF in gloss black on the new 2024 MSLR. Absolutely hated the stock hubcaps, and didn't want to buy new 20" tires - as I like the ride quality on the 19s. I generally prefer a bit more contrast with my wheels, but the gloss black seemed to go much better with all of the blackout window and door handle trim. Love the look!

I chose the highest which is 95w XL (extra load 1521# each = 6084#)
Wow. Have you taken dynamic weight into consideration at all. For a long wheelbase like the S, the tires handle up to 1.3X their static weight during braking (front), cornering, acceleration (rear) - weight transfer.

For a car with a GVWR of 5600lbs (rounded up to the nearest 100), 1.3X static weight is 1820lbs or a load rating of 101.

I think you are quite underspec’d for your car with 95 load rated tires. The Plaid gvwr is similar to a Tacoma.

Shorter wheelbases (like a Miata) will weight transfer up to 1.7X.

Last edited:
what 20" tire combos are you guys using on MS Plaids? i was considering square setup but second guessing my self not going with a 295 or 305 rear and i think 295 front will poke out
265/40R20 front
295/35R20 rear

I find a 285 tire in the front is sorta overkill because it makes the steering much harder. Also if you use spacers or a reduced offset than factory, it only increases the effort needed for steering even further. So people with 285 in the front and a reduced offset have a double whammy

View attachment 1037905View attachment 1037908View attachment 1037910

Got the 19" TSportline TSF in gloss black on the new 2024 MSLR. Absolutely hated the stock hubcaps, and didn't want to buy new 20" tires - as I like the ride quality on the 19s. I generally prefer a bit more contrast with my wheels, but the gloss black seemed to go much better with all of the blackout window and door handle trim. Love the look!
I have been debating going 20s for a more 'balanced' look, but you are convincing me to keep 19s.
I do like the overall ride quality of the 19s.

I put on a 20" square set up at 285/35 with the Michelin PS all-seasons, or the same width as OEM Plaid 19" rear tires all around. Did not notice any change whatsoever in steering effort or tram lining. Very slight change in ride quality, but close to the 19s, better than the 21s, and massively improved looks. The biggest issue was the weird tire sound I got from the Michelins. Very noticeable hum at 55-80mph, peaking around 70mph. Miles have improved it, and turning off the noise cancelling option improved it, which admittedly seems to otherwise cancel very little noise anyway in my on/off comparisons. Still, I would have preferred an EV foam tire, which I could not find in this size.