Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shouldn't All Black Model 3s Be Back of the First Production Line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the last earnings call, Tesla made it clear they are prioritizing highest margin configurations.
We focused on that meaning SR would be pushed back (and that once D is available, First Prod likely gets pushed behind LRD+PUP).
But in the same spirit, why would Tesla currently paint any Model 3s black and thereby take a 2% gross margin hit?
Granted, black is the second least popular color, so they're not painting many cars that color anyway.
I'm assuming it takes the ~same amount of time (and material/labor cost) to paint a Model 3 black vs another color.

On the last earnings call, Tesla made it clear they are prioritizing highest margin configurations.
We focused on that meaning SR would be pushed back (and that once D is available, First Prod likely gets pushed behind LRD+PUP).
But in the same spirit, why would Tesla currently paint any Model 3s black and thereby take a 2% gross margin hit?
Granted, black is the second least popular color, so they're not painting many cars that color anyway.
I'm assuming it takes the ~same amount of time (and material/labor cost) to paint a Model 3 black vs another color.
Could be why no Black model 3's since like 4800/4900 in VINS, but now there are quite a few Black configs so they are going to have to do a run soon.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Could be why no Black model 3's since like 4800/4900 in VINS, but now there are quite a few Black configs so they are going to have to do a run soon.
The only thing that tempted me to get black was a tip of the hat to the Ford Model T.
But given that my wife's 2011 black Lexus RX450h is incredibly trashed from rock chips, there's no chance I'll ever own another black vehicle.
So sorry, Mr. Ford.

The only thing that tempted me to get black was a tip of the hat to the Ford Model T.
But given that my wife's 2011 black Lexus RX450h is incredibly trashed from rock chips, there's no chance I'll ever own another black vehicle.
So sorry, Mr. Ford.
Black is easier to touch up though than say my last bright blue car. The factory touch up paint was closer to black than bright blue when it dried.

Black and silver seem not to be getting the same love from production runs at the other colors, but what about FSD? A black/aero config is still more profitable with FSD than is any other color without. I'd imagine they would try to find a way to slot those in with the same "highest margin" ideas in mind.

Surely there are production requirements that make it difficult for Tesla to churn out one black/aero/FSD here and another there, but I would expect there's enough of a draw from the high-margin software options to prevent all black cars from being pushed to the back of the line.

Black and silver seem not to be getting the same love from production runs at the other colors, but what about FSD? A black/aero config is still more profitable with FSD than is any other color without. I'd imagine they would try to find a way to slot those in with the same "highest margin" ideas in mind.

Surely there are production requirements that make it difficult for Tesla to churn out one black/aero/FSD here and another there, but I would expect there's enough of a draw from the high-margin software options to prevent all black cars from being pushed to the back of the line.
I don't actually expect that Tesla is pushing black bars back; just pointing out that they would if they were serious about making highest margin configs soonest. That said, you make a good point about FSD (and EAP for that matter). I forgot that some people are buying FSD now...12.6% per CJ/Troy spreadsheet. I then filtered to see if black+FSD differed (my hypothesis was that black configs were more budget-conscious and therefore thought black+FSD would be lower than the 12.6%). Black+FSD=12.8%. So ~1in8 cars is buying FSD (wow) and ~1in8 cars is also black+FSD (wow x2).

I don't actually expect that Tesla is pushing black bars back; just pointing out that they would if they were serious about making highest margin configs soonest. That said, you make a good point about FSD (and EAP for that matter). I forgot that some people are buying FSD now...12.6% per CJ/Troy spreadsheet. I then filtered to see if black+FSD differed (my hypothesis was that black configs were more budget-conscious and therefore thought black+FSD would be lower than the 12.6%). Black+FSD=12.8%. So ~1in8 cars is buying FSD (wow) and ~1in8 cars is also black+FSD (wow x2).

Interesting indeed! I personally ordered Black/Aero/FSD because I'll be covering my car with a 3M vinyl wrap, so there was no point in paying for another paint color. Additionally, I value the added range of the aero wheels and would rather not have the added risk of popped tires with 19". Lastly, I ordered FSD in case the price goes up or in hopes that Tesla covers the potential added hardware requirements once they finally work out FSD.