Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should we disconnect our Teslas from 3G and wireless to stop Tesla revoking AutoSteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are you going to disconnect your car from 3G, permanently?
The modem subassembly would need to be removed (I believe). It would be insufficient to merely remove the 3G SIM as the car could still update over WiFi.
There are obvious implications to the above actions for car functionality.

Autopilot was never legal in Hong Kong.
So why did Tesla push the update to the HK cars knowing it wasn't legal?

Tesla has never, ever removed an important feature in this manner without a regulatory body being involved.
Auto suspension lowering at speed was removed without owners' consent and without a regulatory body being involved.

I think Tesla HK pushed V7 out together with the rest of the world because it was a major update and we were all waiting for it. Then a tabloid reported a stupid guy using autosteer on busy streets and almost causing accident, and then asked Transport Department about it. TD replied that they had never received application for approval from Tesla. After that, V7 was stopped from rolling out and new deliveries were having 6.2. Then a few days ago we received notification that the features would be temporary removed and next days, autosteer and auto-lane change were greyed out. Some guys are still having the features because they lost 3G connectivity during that period and they didn't reboot.

It's like everyone buying up ammunition every time a Democrat is in office ..... With the prospect of government taking our tools away, time to stockpile on autosteer.... GO!

But real-talk: I support the ability to control the version of software in your car. I'm pretty sure the EFF would have something to say about that as well.

CNET now reports that unassisted emergency braking is required on a car to receive a coveted 5 star safety rating. Translation, the government expects and encourages autonomous safety features which is what our AP is supposed to be. Only people that can screw that up is us.