Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla Reconsider Policy re: Credit for 19" Sig|Perf Wheels?

Is it a good policy to not provide a credit to Sig & Perf buyers who select 19" rims?

• I feel it is an unfair/unwise policy.

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • I feel it is a fair/good policy.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • I don't feel strongly either way.

Votes: 34 34.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Styling issues aside, Tesla ought to offer wheel sizes and tire options that are appropriate for road conditions where the cars will be driven without a financial penalty.

I understand why people are upset but this issue only applies to Signature owners and people getting the performance version. I would prefer 19" wheels but will get the 21" performance wheels since they come with the car and there isn't a credit to downgrade.

Exactly!! I want the upgraded interior. If I could configure the standard model with the upgraded interior that would be fine. I think Tesla is being short-sited here. I simple house credit for the downgrade to the 19" inch wheels makes many customers happy.

I also think that the house credit idea is great, and Tesla would hit it out of the ballpark if they offered all of the interior options on ANY Model S. That way if someone did want a particular interior option, they could get it at a price of course. Let's face it, people shelling out $60k+ for a car should be able to get any option they want as long as its technologically possible. That's just smart business.

+1 for the house credit idea.

The more I think about it the Less sense it makes to me for Tesla to keep the current policy and not offer a credit.
Without a credit a number of peope will order 21's on their Sig's and Perf's with the intention of swapping them. With all these "discounted" 21" rims on the market how many Production Model S buyers, who were willing to pay full price for 21's from the factory, will opt to order 19's to swap for 21's at a discount from the, less than 100% happy, Sig/ Perf owners ? I imagine roughly the same number of Sig and Perf owners wanting 19's. At the end of the day revenue to Tesla will be about the same. In fact it will probably be higher by offering a credit because some buyers simply won't be bothered with swapping and simply downgrade from Sig/Perf while the few Sig/Perf buyers who opt for 19's would be offset by Production buyers swapping for 21's at a discount. (hoping I explained my thought clearly, it makes perfect sense in my head :) ).

Anyway it seems like Tesla would make a lot of people happy by offering a credit and it seems to me from a simple revenue standpoint not lose anything; likely the opposite. Further, the policy of offering a credit would avoid diminishing the passion, enthusiasm and excitement of those who feel the current policy is unfair and very likely would have the opposite effect of increasing enthusiasm for the company as we would feel heard and treated well.

Last edited:
I also think that the house credit idea is great, and Tesla would hit it out of the ballpark if they offered all of the interior options on ANY Model S. That way if someone did want a particular interior option, they could get it at a price of course. Let's face it, people shelling out $60k+ for a car should be able to get any option they want as long as its technologically possible. That's just smart business.

But they've got to keep the Signatures differentiated. It would not be smart to suddenly change direction, let anyone buy all the options and leave the Signature buyers wondering why they put down $40k deposits.....

My problem is that there are very few people wanting 21" rims in Manitoba - even "city folk" have major problems with potholes. I don't really have the option of getting 21s and selling or swapping. They are basically unuseable here.

They could always provide the Continental Extreme Contact Tires on the 19" inch rim. That would allow the traction needed for the Performance S. Honestly it seems so basic to me. Tesla is doing such a great job on this car but I think 21" wheels are just ripe for rim replacement and other problems. I want a performance S. I want the upgraded interior in the performance S. I think driving around worrying about pot holes makes no sense. Tesla needs to read this forum and offer the Performance S with the Continental tires an the 19" rims. They should provide a house credit towards other options. They get their full money which is important so that the company can be successful. Everyone wins.

My problem is that there are very few people wanting 21" rims in Manitoba - even "city folk" have major problems with potholes. I don't really have the option of getting 21s and selling or swapping. They are basically unuseable here.

What about the Perimeter Hwy in the summer? Or the road to Grand Beach (again only in summer)? Hwy 1 to Portage is not too bad. 3 roads for those tires!
:)

But they've got to keep the Signatures differentiated. It would not be smart to suddenly change direction, let anyone buy all the options and leave the Signature buyers wondering why they put down $40k deposits.....

I agreed that it would be prudent for Tesla to offer a reasonable house credit for switching to the 19" wheels on Signatures. However, I also agree with Nigel that Signatures would become almost meaningless if all Signature options were to be offered on any Model S.

Larry

When you change the customer pricing to employee pricing, the Signature price drops and the pricing for the options pops up—and it lets you down grade the wheels and pay less! So employees not only get an employee discount (total for fully stocked Signature costs them less) but it also looks like they can remove a couple of options from their Signature (or downgrade, such as the wheels) and pay even less!

With the amount of free publicity and "EVangelism" Tesla gets from most of the people on these boards, we should qualify for (at least) partial employee pricing !

I agreed that it would be prudent for Tesla to offer a reasonable house credit for switching to the 19" wheels on Signatures. However, I also agree with Nigel that Signatures would become almost meaningless if all Signature options were to be offered on any Model S.

Larry

The base + aero wheels are available for Signature/Performance models which are equipped with 21" turbine/high performance by default. If you see a Model S with 19" standard or aero wheels, it might be a sig/perf car. Or if you see 21" rims, it might be a base car. So no optical differentiation is achieved here.
Tesla discourages "downgrading" from the default wheels for sig/perf by not giving a credit for the $3500 price difference. At time of writing, 57% consider this unfair.

The base + aero wheels are available for Signature/Performance models which are equipped with 21" turbine/high performance by default. If you see a Model S with 19" standard or aero wheels, it might be a sig/perf car. Or if you see 21" rims, it might be a base car. So no optical differentiation is achieved here.
Tesla discourages "downgrading" from the default wheels for sig/perf by not giving a credit for the $3500 price difference. At time of writing, 57% consider this unfair.

Hi Volker,

Good point. Tesla already permits downgrading the default wheel/tires on Signatures, and permits upgrading a General Production car with most of the features available on Signatures (including wheels/tires), but does it make sense to offer ALL of the Signature features as options and still claim there was something exclusive, and worthly of a placing a $40,000 deposit by purchasing a Signature? Instituting such a liberal upgrade policy now after so many folks have opted for a Signature model would be imprudent.

Larry

On a Performance model, is there any difference between the Standard and Signature other than (a) the availability of the Sig Red paint and (b) badging?

No standard tech, sound studio, twin chargers or rear parcel shelf to start...

Exclusive interior options which remain to be seen or heard of...

I have a feeling that the Sig owners are going to be getting more distinctive package offerings in the near future, but I have no idea it that is true or not.

I have a feeling that the Sig owners are going to be getting more distinctive package offerings in the near future, but I have no idea it that is true or not.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla doing something for its Signature reservation holders. However, I would be surprised if it was something that could potentially effect the production line or production schedule. Things that occur to me are a field installation of a center console insert, waiving the first year's annual maintenance fees, etc.

Larry