Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not had an encounter in a parking lot where I could not hear an ICEV.

I guess it depends on your ears.

And I live in a nice part of West Los Angeles. Not somewhere where most people have old jalopies.

The NTEAA performed a test with a few blind volunteers and some blindfolded group members and the results were that above ten mph they could hear both the EV and a quiet ICE. Below ten mph they couldn't hear either.

While I do not want a law that would mandate that EVs make noise at low speeds, I would like a "Pedestrian Alert" function that the driver could activate as desired to produce a modest sound, something much less than the standard horn produces. A "soft horn" sound. Something that would be perceived as a polite "Hi there just want to let you know I'm here, I'll wait..."

The NTEAA performed a test with a few blind volunteers and some blindfolded group members and the results were that above ten mph they could hear both the EV and a quiet ICE. Below ten mph they couldn't hear either.

The North Texas Electric Auto Association? That citadel of scientific research. I trust my own ears more.

BTW Using initials like NHTSA doesn't make the NTEAA more credible.

I have not had an encounter in a parking lot where I could not hear an ICEV.

And I live in a nice part of West Los Angeles. Not somewhere where most people have old jalopies.

Hi Rob,

I agree with Jerry's point. There was an occassion when attempting to cross a street on foot that I was startled by a BMW silently making a slow turn into my path. I remember commenting to my wife with surprise, as we stepped back out of its way, that it was just as silent as our Model S at that speed of around 10-15 mph.

Perhaps the appropriate government agency can measure the decibel levels of ALL new vehicles, not just EVs, before imposing any regulations.

Larry

Hi Rob,

I agree with Jerry's point. There was an occassion when attempting to cross a street on foot that I was startled by a BMW silently making a slow turn into my path. I remember commenting to my wife with surprise, as we stepped back out of its way, that it was just as silent as our Model S at that speed of around 10-15 mph.

Perhaps the appropriate government agency can measure the decibel levels of ALL new vehicles, not just EVs, before imposing any regulations.

Larry

I have no doubt that is what NHSTA would do. They sometimes instigate research based on anecdotal evidence but they don't make judgments or policy on it. My personal experience and the anecdotal evidence I have seen is that no one with normal to better hearing has had problems identifying an ICEV based on noise alone whereas many have had so with BEVs.

Maybe a grad student at a research university is reading this. :wink:

BTW Someone who is distracted might not actively see or hear a city bus coming from their right or left. That is different from not being able to see or hear the city bus.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that is what NHSTA would do. They sometimes instigate research based on anecdotal evidence but they don't make judgments or policy on it. My personal experience and the anecdotal evidence I have seen is that no one with normal to better hearing has had problems identifying an ICEV based on noise alone whereas many have had so with BEVs.

Maybe a grad student at a research university is reading this. :wink:

It seems this issue was initiated with a concern for blind people. Why not a concern for people with hearing problems too? :wink: Maybe we should then be concerned about inattentive pedestrians, or people, talking on their cell phones, or texting, on infinitum...

Larry

I live in Florida and we have quite a population of {ahem} older folk; seems to me that they don't always hear as well as you or I. Our Main Street has a 15mph speed limit and I see people stepping out in front of ICE cars all the time. Personally I don't want to see our lives surrounded by sound but if it's going to happen shouldn't it be loud enough for the most vunerable to hear, and naturally cover ALL vehicles?

While I do not want a law that would mandate that EVs make noise at low speeds, I would like a "Pedestrian Alert" function that the driver could activate as desired to produce a modest sound, something much less than the standard horn produces. A "soft horn" sound. Something that would be perceived as a polite "Hi there just want to let you know I'm here, I'll wait..."

I wouldn't mind that being mandated ( pedestrian horn).

I live in Florida and we have quite a population of {ahem} older folk; seems to me that they don't always hear as well as you or I. Our Main Street has a 15mph speed limit and I see people stepping out in front of ICE cars all the time. Personally I don't want to see our lives surrounded by sound but if it's going to happen shouldn't it be loud enough for the most vunerable to hear, and naturally cover ALL vehicles?

I agree, but here in Florida we already have a noisemaker...the air conditioning. :biggrin:

Larry

It seems this issue was initiated with a concern for blind people. Why not a concern for people with hearing problems too? :wink: Maybe we should then be concerned about inattentive pedestrians, or people, talking on their cell phones, or texting, on infinitum...

Larry

That would mean loud enough for the nearly deaf, which would mean way to loud for the rest of us.

Yes, that's the tongue-in-cheek point I made earlier. If we accommodate every special interest group where does that leave the rest of us? :confused:

Larry

I think they should be optional for those that want them. Maybe put them on an on/off switch.

My Lexus was every bit as quiet at low speed as my Tesla and just as "dangerous". I had distracted idiots walking in front of me all the time. It never occurred to me to have a noise maker installed. It just occurred to me that people are clueless and walk around distracted so I best be careful not to run anyone over in a parking lot.

I'm sure the percentage of folks who have ACTUALLY been seriously injured from walking in front of an EV are minuscule and were likely the fault of both parties. There's no real World reason for this other than it's another slam people can put on Electric vehicles. In other words, this is a solution looking for a problem where there really is none. If EVs have to have them then ICE cars should have to have them too.

I had just as many distracted idiots walking in front of my not-so-quiet former G37 as my Tesla.

Once in a while. I come up behind clueless pedestrians walking down the middle of a parking lot aisle with their back to me. In that situation a little patience readily solves the issue. They either notice me and move aside, or eventually get where they are going and turn aside. No biggie.

As I said before, I would appreciate a pedestrian horn. But not a must-have.

"Look out you hoser!"

- - - Updated - - -

That would mean loud enough for the nearly deaf, which would mean way to loud for the rest of us.
"What?!" (Some replies don't translate to keyboard well.)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's the tongue-in-cheek point I made earlier. If we accommodate every special interest group where does that leave the rest of us? :confused:
Unhappy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly!

True story: An obsessed relative (irrationally) hates EVs and bangs on all the time about the dangers of them being "silent"; there's great visibility out of their driveway but she still insists on standing in the road when we reverse out "in case someone can't hear you". Point out that their gas guzzler should make more noise to alert hearing-impaired folks and she fires back "Now you're just being stupid!"

Do we as a society pick and choose which person(s) we want to protect or is this about protecting the ICE market from those dangerous EVs?

I'm working with a friend to develop a small module that will use GPS and an accelerometer to detect speed and direction, and play one of several MP3s via a speaker. So if my car is moving forward or backward 5mph or less (or maybe 10mph or less), it's going to play the Jetson's car sound.

jetsonss car - YouTube

That's the stopping car sound. I just need to find the "starting" car sound.

I intend to build a few of these.. I don't know what the cost will be yet. I know some (most) people here don't believe in noise makers, but I've had a problem on my quiet street where there are no sidewalks and people walk in the street have no idea I'm behind them until either I get real close, or honk the horn (loud!!). It will also have a remote to turn on/turn off/trigger at will.