Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of Superchargers in mid America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did 22,000 miles per year for 3 years without superchargers.

Superchargers are a nice to have, not a necessity. 65K miles in three years.

Depends on your lifestyle. We have family and inlaws that are far enough away that SpC are a must. I would not have gotten a Model S if I couldn't travel out of my state. In the last 8 months and 17k miles, I probably SpCed more than 2 dozen times.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what demographic buys a $100k and then drives 500 miles. Obviously it exists and I can appreciate that. But it has to be single digit percentages of buyers. The depreciation alone buys a plane ticket. Hopefully most people who buy a $100k car make $100+ an hour so the time spent in the car and not working is another cost.

:wave: right here. I do that, DC <-> MA to visit inlaws. It's usually a long-weekend trip.

So 7 hours driving + 1 hour charging = 8 hours in the car
vs.
Get to the airport, 30 minute drive
Get to the airport 1.5 hours before your flight so that you can get through security and board your flight on time
Fly for 2 hours
Drive from the airport to the inlaws almost an hour
Total: Almost 5 hours

For a 3 hour savings (used to be 2 hour savings before I got the Tesla), I'm not going to buy 4 plane tickets. When my MIL comes to visit us, she flys, as she's traveling alone, and it makes no sense to drive for 7 hours alone when you can fly and save a little bit of time for not much more money.

- - - Updated - - -

Why - $500 depreciation on my car vs $100 on another + $50 in gas.

This only applies if you're leasing or plan to keep your car for a short period of time. I kept my last car for a while, and I plan to keep this car for a while. Road trips + my daily driving I easily rack up 20k miles a year.

The map is mostly a selling point. Proof that you can take a trip - not that you actually do it.

Again, maybe for you, but there are plenty of people for whom this is not true.

Reactions: callmesam
:wave: right here. I do that, DC <-> MA to visit inlaws. It's usually a long-weekend trip.

So 7 hours driving + 1 hour charging = 8 hours in the car
vs.
Get to the airport, 30 minute drive
Get to the airport 1.5 hours before your flight so that you can get through security and board your flight on time
Fly for 2 hours
Drive from the airport to the inlaws almost an hour
Total: Almost 5 hours

For a 3 hour savings (used to be 2 hour savings before I got the Tesla), I'm not going to buy 4 plane tickets. When my MIL comes to visit us, she flys, as she's traveling alone, and it makes no sense to drive for 7 hours alone when you can fly and save a little bit of time for not much more money.
And you didn't include the additional inconvenience, expense, and time of renting a vehicle. Unless I'm going to NYC, I need a vehicle.

I doubt I'll drive more than 12K miles a year but I'm planning to make 3-4 trips >500 miles per year to visit family members North, East and West of Texas - a pretty big state. (It will only be 3 family trips because the 4th trip has no SpC access :(. ) I also plan a couple of trips to conferences.

Another expense -- parking at the airport or cost of the shuttle.

Reactions: EcoBruin
And you didn't include the additional inconvenience, expense, and time of renting a vehicle. Unless I'm going to NYC, I need a vehicle.

I doubt I'll drive more than 12K miles a year but I'm planning to make 3-4 trips >500 miles per year to visit family members North, East and West of Texas - a pretty big state. (It will only be 3 family trips because the 4th trip has no SpC access :(. ) I also plan a couple of trips to conferences.

Another expense -- parking at the airport or cost of the shuttle.

Completely agreed.

I was more talking about the "time" aspect because David_Cary made it sound like someone who buys a $100k car doesn't care about money (show me 1 well off person who doesn't care about money? they didn't get where they are by wasting it), so I just compared time and showed that even on a 500 mile trip it's not as big of a savings in time as one might think it is.

Driving the NE corridor is a bit different than driving across Texas...

Obviously a family changes the financial equation.

The flight time from DC to Boston is obviously not 2 hours but I get that there might be some traffic. But you neglect that there might be some traffic between DC and MA?!?

Obviously some Tesla owners like you drive 500 miles. Is it really 500? It is pretty hard to get 500 miles in 8 hours. Possible yes - but must be perfect supercharging arriving with 10%.

I would argue that people neglect depreciation a lot. Tire life. Warranty expiration. Willing to bet what a Tesla with 100k miles is worth? Hard to pay $30k for it just because of warranty. $1 is a high number but hard to get it less than 50 cents.

Maybe in NC we are different. We certainly don't need to arrive 1.5 hours before flights. I for one would never drive to NYC. I suppose if I had a family member in Jersey, maybe... But I don't. I do know people that do. They drive their ICE.

You mention family - are you 1 car family? Most families aren't. The number of Tesla families that have 1 car is probably less than the two Tesla families. (Families defined as 2 adults for this argument).

Now think about it. If you lived in Texas and were driving 500+ miles (note the +) and were married with 2 kids, you could just take the ICE if you hated flying...

Most people that can afford a Tesla make a lot of money. Most people who are frugal don't buy a Tesla. The rich didn't become rich because they were frugal (the vast majority of the time). But hey - I have a Tesla and I can be cheap.

I'm not saying my situation is the "norm", but I am saying that you are way underestimating the number of people who drive long distances in a Tesla. There are reports of people doing multi-thousand mile trips.

FTR when it was just my wife and I, we have flown up to MA. We'd sometimes drive, sometimes fly. Flights are relatively cheap.

But the hassle of driving to the airport, flying with 2 kids, taking their booster/carseats with us, checking/getting luggage, for a 500mile trip is not worth it. No freaking way.

I don't understand why you want to nitpick my numbers, but sure, here's my response:

The flight time from DC to Boston is obviously not 2 hours but I get that there might be some traffic. But you neglect that there might be some traffic between DC and MA?!?

My bad, you're right it's 1hr 28mins according to Expedia. I assume that includes gate-to-gate. So take 30minutes off my estimate.

Driving costs 3.5 hours in a Tesla (2.5 hours in an ICE) as compared to flying. Money aside.

Obviously some Tesla owners like you drive 500 miles. Is it really 500? It is pretty hard to get 500 miles in 8 hours. Possible yes - but must be perfect supercharging arriving with 10%.

Door-to-door it's ~480miles, but I live in the suburbs of DC, and in-laws live in the suburbs of Boston (DC to Boston itself is 441 miles according to Google maps).

I have charging down to be between 55 minutes and 1 hour and 5 minutes (I think my best record for when it was warm, and my worst for when it was mild. never did the trip in freezing weather). So I rounded to 1 hour of charging. I think this is a fair estimate.

480 miles / average of 70mph = 6.8 hours. I usually set TACC to 75mph, and the speeding accounts for some minor traffic.

Driving late into the night, in an ICE (where I may or may not have been speeding.......), I've done the trip in around 6 hours.

So my 7 hour number and my 1 hour charging number are both accurate, and repeatable.

A Tesla with 100k in 5 years will be worth about $10k.

Agreed. But you can't have it both ways.

Your last comment says people who can afford a Tesla make a lot of money, so they don't care, yet here you say that depreciation will make the car worthless. If the people have a lot of money they don't care about depreciation ;)

Maybe in NC we are different. We certainly don't need to arrive 1.5 hours before flights.

Here it depends on the airport.

I've gotten to Reagan, was the only/first person in line for security and walked for 3 minutes and was in the waiting area for the flight. Is that normal? No, but it has happened.
I've also gotten to Dulles, and between security and getting to my terminal which I had to take transportation for, I had to run to the flight and was the last person to board.

1.5 hours is a good safe number. Even for Reagan, I never get to the airport with less than an hour to spare.

You mention family - are you 1 car family? Most families aren't. The number of Tesla families that have 1 car is probably less than the two Tesla families. (Families defined as 2 adults for this argument).

2 adults, 2 cars (one ICE, one Tesla), 2 kids.

We used to have an ICE SUV as a family car, but due to several reasons (Tesla included) my wife downsized to a smaller car. The Tesla is the family car. It gets most of the miles driven on it.

We'll be putting a deposit on the Model 3, so in a couple years, we should be a full EV household. In our neck of suburbia, it's very hard not to have a car per adult.

Most people that can afford a Tesla make a lot of money. Most people who are frugal don't buy a Tesla. The rich didn't become rich because they were frugal (the vast majority of the time). But hey - I have a Tesla and I can be cheap.

Agreed.

Most? That gets debated a lot around here so I really don't know. I'm middle class and could afford a Tesla because I have been frugal.

You also have to remember that a lot of people have Teslas because they don't want to drive ICE anymore for any reason. If I didn't intend to drive 200+ mile trips, I would have gotten a Volt.

My goal is to never own another ICE vehicle if possible. Superchargers are for long distance traveling to facilitate the adoption of EV's. They are not supposed to be centered in large population areas with high Tesla ownership. I also think Tesla has done a pretty good job over the last three years in building out the Supercharger network. It is a little puzzling that I10 has such a large gap. In Texas, they really need to cover I20 and I10 to facilitate long distance travel.

I personally held off on buying a Tesla because my driving needs do not allow me to use RV charging for my trips to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. Now that I have a Tesla, I hope they will complete the 2016 Texas map this year. I have some trips coming up that I may have to rent an ICE since there are no Superchargers on I20 from where I live to Dallas. Also, the same issue will arise for me traveling to San Antonio.

With respect, I'd say "not this."

To take a trip without SC's is to make "getting there in an electric car" the point of the operation. There's simply no longer *any* comparison to an ICE in the efficiency of the journey. It becomes "travel as end" rather than "travel as means". No amount of planning can get around a max charge rate of 58 mph.

I drove from Hickory NC, to Knoxville TN over 200 miles in a Leaf. When I didn't have a chademo my charge rate on L2 was 11 mph. Planning got me home that night.

You've got a mental barrier there in actions or language that says you can't do it, but others do on a regular basis so I don't agree with your can't do it attitude.

Last edited:
I gather that some here aren't aware that those Supercharger station sites are the gateway to Yellowstone National Park and have been much requested and anticipated by those who want to visit that gigantic park. It has nothing to do with the number of Teslas in Montana or the number of cars wanting to travel between SLC and Butte.

With a Supercharger station in West Yellowstone it should eventually be possible to drive across Yellowstone from north to west. Even without that, Idaho Falls offers easy destination access to Jackson WY (Grand Teton NP) or West Yellowstone, where L2 charging can be found.

I applaud Tesla for working to open up yet another major national park (as well as Grand Teton National Park) to Tesla tourist traffic.

and I'd like to see them do the same for the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. It and many routes to it are a dead zone with no chademo, no L2, not even 120v outlets in most of the park. It'd be nice to see superchargers around Cherokee, Gatlinburg, Townsend, so that the millions of visitors a year could consider touring the park in a Tesla. Even better if Tesla can donate some HPWCs to the park and let them put them in at one of the campgrounds that has minimal power (likely have to dial it down to lower amps as power is very limited in the park).

But I'm willing to wait for 2018 or 2020 for such nicety's. I'd rather see more on I-40, I-75, I-81.

and heck before that I'd like to see one in all 48 lower US states. Or at least all but WV and ND and call it the lower 46 that got superchargers first.

It is true that various L2 and RV park chargers can be used in an emergency. There are also some Blink type chargers at destination motels and an occasional Chademo. But there is a big problem with these. For instance there is a cluster of L2 chargers near Jackson TN halfway between Memphis and Nashville. But these are often ICED and there is no way to know whether they are or aren't until you get there. RV parks a can be useful but you have to phone first. And I have experienced one where I was told Tesla charging was fine on the phone, got there and the boss said NO.
So unless you have exact knowledge these can be dicey and if only a few are available I would only depend on them only if there is no headwind or rain or uphill and I can make a sure fire charger at 55 mph, an bout as slow as you can safely and legally go on an expressway.
I have had my S for 2 years and now realize Super Chargers are more necessary than I previously thought. Because if you get stranded out of juice in a BEV there is no option but a tow truck. And good luck finding one in Arkansas that has any experience in knowing how to tow a tesla without damage. Going West from Nashville is just too risky for me.
There are Nissan dealer but their attitude ranges from surprisingly Tesla friendly (Nissans can't charge at Tesla outlets) to downright hostile. I have heard that a few of them won't even let l Leafs purchased at other Nissan dealers charge up.

That being said there is some glimmer of hope that Tesla is going to do something with the huge US gaps instead of putting even more in parts of Europe already full of SC .But by the end of 2016?
I hope, but doubt.

Re the post about Great Smokey Mountains- there are several overnight chargers available at motels .

Reactions: Rocky_H
I just bought a 2014 S and am a huge supporter of Tesla...yet, I don't think I would have bought it if it weren't for the superchargers along I-70. Those were critical to my needs (it would probably be scary to try to add up how many hours of my life have occurred on I-70). They are still not everywhere I would like to see them though...it would still be a challenge to visit my family in Memphis (coming from Kansas City).

Don't know where the growth is going to be, but this was in the 2015 10-K recently filed with the SEC: Page 33 under "Trends in Cash Flow" Bold emphasis added by me.

We expect to see a net increase in cash and cash equivalents for the full-year 2016. We plan to fund about $1.5 billion in capital expenditures without accessing any outside capital other than our existing sources that support our leasing and finished goods inventory. We plan to invest in equipment to support cell production at the Gigafactory, begin installation of Model 3 vehicle production machinery, open about 80 retail locations and service centers, and energize about 300 new Supercharger locations.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
With 300 locations coming... There must be one coming in Rochester... Or anywhere in central PA.... Right?
As of today there have been 11 superchargers opened in the US this year. Last year as of this date there had been 37. Still nothing seems to be started to complete the I10 corridor. Just got back from a 6,300 mile trip and took our Expedition since we would have had to drive 900 extra miles to utilize superchargers. Total cost with cheap gas prices ended up being about a push with what it would have cost in additional tire costs and hotels using the Tesla. In addition by being able to take I10 there was a much less chance of running into bad weather. If weather had not been an issue would have probably taken the Tesla as originally planned.

Interesting to note that Tesla appears to be permitting new superchargers along I20 rather than I10. Permits have shown up on supercharger.info for Cisco and Sweetwater, TX west of Dallas and Lindale east of Dallas is not under contruction. It's also interesting that it's going from Dallas towards California rather than the other way around. Can't understand why they would not complete I10 first which connects California with Florida through Houston.

Interesting to note that Tesla appears to be permitting new superchargers along I20 rather than I10. Permits have shown up on supercharger.info for Cisco and Sweetwater, TX west of Dallas and Lindale east of Dallas is not under contruction. It's also interesting that it's going from Dallas towards California rather than the other way around. Can't understand why they would not complete I10 first which connects California with Florida through Houston.
Most interstate traffic is not coast to coast, but for up to a few hundred miles. The traffic counts on I-20 for several hundred miles east and west of Dallas is much greater than on I-10 in west Texas and New Mexico.

The fact is that the 2016 year is half over and Tesla has made little progress toward filling in the large US SC gaps, all the while building lots of non US SC.
I now believe the US 2016 Supercharger map to be either a wild ly over-estimated sales tool or a con job. Depending on how you feel about Tesla honesty. Because knowing what I know about Tesla's ability to overcome obstacles and do the nearly impossible, the best explanation I can find about why there is no SC in the 20th largest city in the US, a city sitting astride several expressways ,is that they knowingly lied about their intentions for mid America. I hope they prove me wrong in the next 6 months.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV and Pruitt
The fact is that the 2016 year is half over and Tesla has made little progress toward filling in the large US SC gaps, all the while building lots of non US SC.
I now believe the US 2016 Supercharger map to be either a wild ly over-estimated sales tool or a con job. Depending on how you feel about Tesla honesty. Because knowing what I know about Tesla's ability to overcome obstacles and do the nearly impossible, the best explanation I can find about why there is no SC in the 20th largest city in the US, a city sitting astride several expressways ,is that they knowingly lied about their intentions for mid America. I hope they prove me wrong in the next 6 months.

Nah.

It is more likely the desire (and business need) to expand into international markets and quieting domestic squeaky wheels. There will be a lot more squeaks in mid-America as they get closer to delivering the Ξ

Tesla really needs to fill in the gap down the Mississippi River in my opinion! Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, and N Louisiana.

If I want to go from Chicago down to Houston it seems to visit family, it would be right at 872 miles direct to where I'm heading. But, due to these huge gaps with Superchargers, I'd have to travel 1400 miles instead!!! (actually a bit more). This is ridiculous and negates the use of car long-distance. Focus on these areas I say before adding 100 more to California that is already saturated with SCs and plenty of non-SC options.

On this route it will be difficult to even make it, difficult to plan and even with CHAdeMO adapter, practically impossible without some destination slow charging, use of L2s for some very long waits, etc. :-(

Reactions: Beryl