Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recent Bear Activity

Ok scouts, listen up.
We've seen a lot of bear activity in these parts lately, but no worries, it's going to taper off dramatically soon. Bear attacks are most common towards the end of their active periods. With black and brown bears, we call it hyperphasia prior to hibernation, but with Tesla bears we call it anxiety prior to the end of a downtrend. Use your compasses to stay on course and we'll be out of the woods soon, quite possibly beginning this week.

Sometimes the bears attack each other for no reason too.

Attachments

• stream_54364021..gif
    stream_54364021..gif
    4 MB · Views: 63
He's pushing capital markets like everything else. We know his goals, but none say anything about maximizing share price. If you consider his goal to switch to renewables and electric cars as soon as possible then keeping a high investment rate to support rapid / reckless growth is right on target.

Capital is to be used. There is little difference between 4% dilution or 5% to Musk.

Nice. Bring the capital raise, Elon. Let's do this.

Reactions: Johan
. For the record, I agree that Tesla share price and performance won't change materially from it's current range bound situstion until closer to model 3. I do think however that expecting it to grow well beyond this over the last few years doesn't make much sens . As bears have pointed out quite often TSLA has been priced basically got perfect model 3 execution since the major short squeeze that got us to these prices. Selling more S and X than initial projections doesn't matter much to raise the price when it's priced on model 3 already, so I don't think much growth should have been expected over the last 2 years
I disagree. IMO when they start producing the MX in quantity and if they hit guidance and when TE starts making a substantial contribution, and they get the capital they need I think we could see a new high.

OTOH if they continue to have production problems and don't have a good cash flows it will probably get ugly.

I disagree. IMO when they start producing the MX in quantity and if they hit guidance and when TE starts making a substantial contribution, and they get the capital they need I think we could see a new high.

OTOH if they continue to have production problems and don't have a good cash flows it will probably get ugly.

Manufacturing and selling model X matters a great deal to the stock price .
It gives investors confidence . Confidence influences a stock price based
On far out goals. Confidence is required to raise money .

Reactions: MitchJi
Evercore ICI raised PT from $310 to $320, put out good balanced overview (via StreetInsider):
Galliers said while Tesla has been criticized by some for an apparent lack of delivery, they view view Tesla as a “Top Achiever” and believe shortfalls are a function of aggressive objectives. "Those who are critical of Tesla’s achievements should take a step back and consider what the company has delivered to date," he said.

The analyst said they don't believe delays in the launch and ramp-up of the Model X are the “best” proxy for the Model 3. The Model S was delivered on time and the Model X only 9 months late, he highlights. "Delayed product introductions are not unique to Tesla but also occur at traditional OEMs," he said. "Unlike Tesla, most OEMs don't provide details on when products will come to market, making it difficult to determine from the outside whether products are on track or falling behind."

Last edited:

I think they will hit guidance this year, so it will be interesting to see. For us to hit new highs we will need to be somewhere roughly near 230/240 before any of that news happens, preferably higher otherwise it may be too far to run. Now cash flow positive may be a different story. Seems tough to accomplish if they will be spending on model 3 volume tooling so soon now, so I'm seeing FCF+ as a pretty tough ask. Certainly possible though.
In any case, to me late Q3 or early Q4 are almost close enough to model 3 for what I meant. I think we fundamentally agree but I see the breakout as less likely than you do until 2017, so I expect a bit more range bound for most if not all of 2016.

Reactions: MitchJi
Evercore ICI raised PT from $310 to $320, puts out good balanced overview (via StreetInsider):

they view Tesla as a “Top Achiever” and believe shortfalls are a function of aggressive objectives. "Those who are critical of Tesla’s achievements should take a step back and consider what the company has delivered to date," he said.

Beautiful.

Some get it: Tesla is yanking rug from underneath European premium brands, mainly German brands.

It is going to hurt.

Nice coachwork is not going to cut it.

Why Tesla’s Mass-Market Car Should Scare Mercedes and BMW
While it's undeniable that Tesla is taking existing premium car drivers from the big German brands (we were one), what is the longer term hurt is that Tesla is becoming the aspirational brand for people coming from more mainstream manufacturers. That interrupts the pipeline to future buyers in a far more impactful way than stealing a few current ones. Advantage Tesla.

News from the BMW shareholder's meeting.

Those guys decide to take their time...

Via Seeking Alpha news:

BMW to do a slow roll into the long-range EV game
  • BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) CEO Harald Krueger says the automaker's long-range battery electric vehicle is still several years away from being introduced. The EV replacement for the 7-Series sedan is expected to come to market in 2021 -long after Audi (OTCPK:VLKAY), Mercedes-Benz (OTCPAIF), and Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) are in with their aspiring game changers.
  • Krueger made the announcement at BMW's annual shareholder meeting in Munich, Germany amid a broad talk on strategy.
  • The iNext from BMW will include advanced autonomous driving features and the latest mobility technology on top of the +500 km range.
  • The German automaker's slow roll into the long-range EV market has raised some questions with industry analysts, even as i3 and i8 EV/hybrid sales come in at a tepid pace.
  • Car shopping data does seem to suggest that BMW needs to take the Tesla threat seriously. 28% of Tesla shoppers in March also looked at a BMW model which was the leading brand overlap by a wide margin (Toyota 23%, Audi 20%, Mercedes-Benz 19%, Ford 17%, Lexus 16%).

Last edited:
Some get it: Tesla is yanking rug from underneath European premium brands, mainly German brands.

It is going to hurt.

Nice coachwork is not going to cut it.

Why Tesla’s Mass-Market Car Should Scare Mercedes and BMW
Competition from the Model 3 might prompt German carmakers to drop some prices as much as 10 percent to defend their U.S. market share, says Stuart Pearson, an analyst at Exane BNP Paribas. Tesla is aiming the Model 3 at “those looking to spend roughly $40,000 on a car, and that’s the core target market for BMW and Mercedes basically,” he says. “The fact is they don’t really have an answer to the Model 3 until the next decade.”

Stock is stuck in a rut, but I think at a level way below what it should be. I'd accept it more if it was stagnant at $242 which was the last raise that got gobbled up by investors.

Right now, it just seems that we're waiting on the next catalyst which could come in many different forms. Perhaps the 500,000th Model 3 reservation? Maybe it's a new hire. I believe we'll see some action May 31st.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.