Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take comfort as you choose; no one here expected 2/3 rds of the 2018 notes to be redeemed 1.5 years early, causing an outflow of about $1 billion (some of it absorbed by the hedge writers).

So far as I know, you are correct that no one predicted the early conversions.

But so far as I know, no one predicted that Tesla handle the $422 million payment for conversions with $597 million in cash generated from vehicle sales and leasing. In fact, when the conversions were announced the members who suggested that Tesla might raise even some of the money out of cash flows seem to have been ignored by most.

Dragging payments to key suppliers works great until they get spooked. That practice needs an alternate supply channel for mission critical parts.

IMO there is no credible evidence that Tesla is delaying payments to suppliers. This has been addressed at length by @vgrinshpun and @techmaven in posts upthread that you have ignored. The increases in AP are in line with production growth, and are basically a wash, especially when increased AR is factored in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerardf
Buried in those earnings are a $19.5 million reduction in pre-existing warranty reserves, $30 million in GHG/CAFE credit sales (mouse nuts) and the recognition of about $14 million reduction in COGS from prior quarters' gains from currency hedges. Repeatable?

In addition to the points made by @techmaven, IMO the correct starting point for the cash flow analysis should be the $597M in cash Tesla generated from operations ($424M) and sales of leased vehicles to bank partners ($173M).

After $139M in ZEV credits are taken out, $458M in cash was generated by the vehicle and energy businesses in Q3.

As explained upthread, the cash flow analysis from @DaveT that you reposted incorrectly accounted for items like Depreciation and Amortization and Stock-Based Compensation, which are included in Tesla's income statement as costs but do not affect cash flow.

Last edited:
Reactions: vgrinshpun
...The $14 million in currency hedges is repeatable if the U.S. dollar strengthens. If the dollar doesn’t strengthen then the currency hedge doesn’t increase, but then, the effect that the currency hedge is put in place to counter-act also doesn’t happen. I haven’t calculated which is better, but likely a weaker dollar would help overseas sales, so I bet Tesla would take the weaker dollar and not have the gain from the currency hedge. If the dollar weakens, then the cost of goods sold drops anyways....
Good analysis of the meanings of these three items. Your take on this middle one, however - the currency hedge - is dodgy, I fear. {Skip to final paragraph for the meat of this post; the rest is just me being pedantic} The reason is that you play a hedge for some time period. I can look at what my expected sales in countries A, B and C are going to be over the next Y period, and what my costs from countries B, C and D are likely to be over that same period, and place my hedges accordingly.

Then, one can minimize my FX risk AND reward by selling dollars forward, buying yen forward, and so on...OR if one calculates that the USD will be (falling/rising) against JPY but acting differently against the EUR...and using the corporate exposure to enhance that effect. NOW....if it is the latter, then I as a shareholder am furious, as I do not hold TSLA shares (nor those of any other company) as a proxy for playing in the FX market, which is what that second scenario is in my opinion. I do know, however, that some corporations' treasury departments do indeed veer from being currency neutral and, in my experience, eventually they get their comeuppance. Usually that ends with a couple of high executives getting nice fat severance bonuses as they decide to pursue a new career where they can spend more time with their families. How nice.

All right, back to Tesla. I have stated that my desire and expectation is to have Tesla pre-sell and -buy forward the appropriate amount of currencies so that, over the given time period, their exposure to those currencies' fluctuations against the home currency - USD - will not affect Tesla's bottom line. Because Tesla plays both in an SEC-regulated and a US public capital markets-dominated world, usually that time period is a three-month quarter (it doesn't have to be a quarter but that's the time period for which results mostly are shown. The specific time period is not otherwise truly important).

HOWEVER....in a real-world situation, it is vanishingly unlikely that one can predict with perfection exactly how many widgets one buys and wadgets one sells from and to those particular currencies over a hedge's time period. That being the case, in some quarters one will zig with the market, in other quarters one will zag. THAT, and not whether the USD fell or rose against this or that currency, will determine whether one sees a $14mm gain in COGS, or a loss of $8mm, or all is washed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggr
Good analysis of the meanings of these three items. Your take on this middle one, however - the currency hedge - is dodgy, I fear. {Skip to final paragraph for the meat of this post; the rest is just me being pedantic} The reason is that you play a hedge for some time period. I can look at what my expected sales in countries A, B and C are going to be over the next Y period, and what my costs from countries B, C and D are likely to be over that same period, and place my hedges accordingly.

[...]

HOWEVER....in a real-world situation, it is vanishingly unlikely that one can predict with perfection exactly how many widgets one buys and wadgets one sells from and to those particular currencies over one's hedge's time period. That being the case, in some quarters one will zig with the market, in other quarters one will zag. THAT, and not whether the USD fell or rose against this or that currency, will determine whether one sees a $14mm gain in COGS, or a loss of $8mm, or all is washed.

Thanks for the additional color. I was trying to stay away from the actual magnitudes involved since we don't actually know the derivatives held. I should have made a stronger point is just that it is likely better for Tesla that the currency hedge doesn't work at all. They would rather have their products be more price competitive in overseas markets than not. The currency hedge itself has structural problems, as @AudubonB pointed out. It might not cover the magnitude of the move, it might be too expensive for a small move and so forth.

Therefore, the repeatability of that item listed by @brian45011 is in both directions... a weaker U.S. currency relative to key markets is good, a stronger currency relative to the yen is good, and Tesla would take those effects over the currency hedge working any day.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Mod Note:

(not specifically directed toward any recent post; rather, this note is going to ALL active Investor threads).

LAST day of tolerance toward posts that otherwise would have been, and are, unacceptable. One week of election-related wailing and gnashing of teeth and blaming it on others and overall unproductive posts is enough.

Take comfort as you choose; no one here expected 2/3 rds of the 2018 notes to be redeemed 1.5 years early, causing an outflow of about $1 billion (some of it absorbed by the hedge writers).. Dragging payments to key suppliers works great until they get spooked. That practice needs an alternate supply channel for mission critical parts.

This is quite strange way to address the subject, but if you insist, probably no more than you considering AP out of context here.

The bottom line, and the point I was making in my post is that cash flow analysis should not be based on cherry picking one item or another, but should consider all relevant items and information. My original post included quote from the Q3 ER call in which Musk and Wheeler highlighted this and summarized overall situation with AP as "not material".

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC and EinSV
Can't speak for anyone else but...
A 60% rebate would have me shopping Powerpack for residence instead of Powerwall. Wow!

Situation in some US states is not much different, as for the battery storage installed with solar, 30% federal tax credit is complemented by 25% state tax credit...

Mod Note:

(not specifically directed toward any recent post; rather, this note is going to ALL active Investor threads).

LAST day of tolerance toward posts that otherwise would have been, and are, unacceptable. One week of election-related wailing and gnashing of teeth and blaming it on others and overall unproductive posts is enough.
Ok... then here's my semi-related to Tesla Donald Trump Sucks Rant...

There will be no stupid wall.
There will be no mass deportations.
There will be no reversal of Iranian nuke agreement.
There will be no removal of healthcare for millions of Americans.
There will be no "locking up" of Hillary
There will be no "bringing jobs back"
There will be no [a bunch of other stuff]

Donald Trump is a fraud and constantly changed his lies to adapt to whatever kept highly manipulable people on his side.

But what DT will have to do... is find low hanging fruit. The EPA is an easy target... as well as basically all of the environmental initiatives the US has in progress. I expect this to be the target of the very few things he actually does.

This post is about the Paris Agreement. Please refer to the video below in order to get a sense of the magnitude of what Trump is up against. It isn't just 17 cities around the US that is protesting him, I.e it's also parts of Europe: Germany, Sweden, London, etc. The climate change issue isn't just confined to the Democratic Party here in the US, the world has bought into it. And when that happens, does Mr. Trump really want to fight the world? In the end, he'll need to balance his support here, as well as overseas. Please watch the Germans protest. It appears that Trump will have too many opposing fronts to fight once he's in office, the clean energy isn't a battle he'll want to engage in as the entire world is a part of it.

Anti-Trump protests to continue throughout the country on Sunday

Okay, here's my rant:

I'm furious....with President Obama for allowing the Senate to ignore his Supreme Court Nominee. Furious.

Now, here's the thing. With Sen. Grassley saying "Let the American people decide"...well they did. The majority of the people voted for Secretary Clinton. While the Electoral college votes for President, it does NOT vote for Supreme Court Nominee's. The people have spoken, and they want a Democrat to select the next Justice on the Supreme Court. It's time for the President to take action. The President has done his constitutional duties, the Senate has abdicated theirs.

It's been over 270 days since Justice Scalia's death. The court has been in session for over a month now without their 9th Justice. It's past time for the President to ask the court to rule that the Senate's inaction is unconstitutional and thus the President may now assume they consent and install his nominee to the court.

Let the fireworks begin.

This post is about the Paris Agreement. Please refer to the video below in order to get a sense of the magnitude of what Trump is up against. It isn't just 17 cities around the US that is protesting him, I.e it's also parts of Europe: Germany, Sweden, London, etc. The climate change issue isn't just confined to the Democratic Party here in the US, the world has bought into it. And when that happens, does Mr. Trump really want to fight the world? In the end, he'll need to balance his support here, as well as overseas. Please watch the Germans protest. It appears that Trump will have too many opposing fronts to fight once he's in office, the clean energy isn't a battle he'll want to engage in as the entire world is a part of it.

Anti-Trump protests to continue throughout the country on Sunday

I don't see any real indication that Trump really is personally against climate change action. All republicans trying win the primary had to stake out anti climate change stances, just like they all had to stake out anti-abortion stances(Anyone really think Trump is anti-abortion? Or genuinely cared about Obama's birth certificate? lol) or pro-tax cut stances and anti-immigration stances. As recently as 2009 Trump, and even his kids, made a public declaration in the NYT's for climate change action.

Given this context my concern is that Trump probably doesn't care much about it one way or the other, like a lot of issues. But he needs to be seen fighting the establishment on some big issues. And climate change could be an easy target. The key part there is "seen", Trump needs to appear publicly to be fighting the establishment on some major issues. Trump strikes me very much as the type person that views all public persona as fake or for "entertainment or marketing purposes" and entirely separate from the real world of backroom wheeling and dealing. So I'm guessing we see some kabuki theater type displays that attack major issues like obamacare and climate change, while not really systemically changing the course beyond minor changes. To placate his rabble army he needs to sell change and attacking the system, while I'd bet in most cases those attacks are symbolic and for "public consumption".

When Does the TSLA Pop Come?

Here are some thoughts on when we could see TSLA break free of the long downtrend it has been on and engage in a serious uptrend. Judging from the number of shares sold short, the first segment of that uptrend could be quite steep as shorts who have made money with the stock jump ship to try and protect their profits. For us long investors, how do we time the beginning of the uptrend? My suggestion: don't time it, because when it takes off it may climb at quite a steep angle. Instead, establish your position by buying at good prices (TSLA is on sale, if you haven't noticed) and benefit from the uptrend when it arrives.

What could cause the uptrend to not happen at all?
Of course this is possible, but I think it would take a macro meltdown or a serious problem to make itself known at Telsa/SCTY in order to prevent the pop. The primary reason for the pop not happening would be some event or series of events that prevent Tesla from reaching substantial production of Model 3 in the second half of 2017. Running low on CapEx money could be one cause, thus this possible remedy
* The Musk-funded option for Tesla's CapEx needs to reach Model 3 substantial production- Let's say that Tesla needs an extra billion dollars to fund the Model 3 ramp and insure that the bank account has sufficient funds in it. How does one do this in a pinch? One possibility is that Elon Musk takes out a loan and collateralizes it with some of his SpaceX shares. Musk has in the past shown a wlilingness to gamble his entire empire to save a portion of it, why not gamble to save Tesla? In January, 2015, Fidelity estimated that SpaceX was worth $12 billion, but they later revalued their SpaceX shares by raising them 15%, so a value of nearly $14 billion is probably pretty accurate for SpaceX.when rockets aren't exploding. SpaceX plans to get back to launches by the end of the year. Provided that things go well with the launch, SpaceX's value could easily exceed $14 billion in value at year's end. People don't know exactly how much of SpaceX is owned by Musk (it is a private company), but 25% could be taken as a realistic number, and that equates to $3.5 billion of SpaceX owned by Musk. If Tesla got into a real pinch, Musk could collateralize the loan with SpaceX shares, and when Model 3 is in large-scale production and the SP is up, an equity raise could be used to pay off the loan. Musk also has billionaire friends in Silicon Valley who might be of help. The bottom line: Musk has too many options to choose from and Tesla is not going to run out of cash as it heads towards Model 3 substantial production.

If a pop is coming, when will it be?
That, my friends, is the tens of billions of dollars question, and I don't pretend to know the answer. Let me give some ideas of when it becomes more likely to happen, though.
* When TSLA drives out from beneath the dark clouds- Since Tesla announced plans to move 500,000 vehicle production from 2020 to 2018, Wall Street started to worry. When Musk announced the proposed merger with SCTY right after the fund-raiser, Goldman and Morgan Stanley had conniptions. Share prices fell and shorts became emboldened and started selling-in again. So, for most of 2016 there's been this fear of SCTY merger hanging over TSLA. Recently, though, TSLA has shown a good Q3 ER and SCTY has been changing its business plan to eliminate the negative cash flow. The current projection by Tesla is that SCTY will be cash flow neutral in Q4 and 2017 and it will generate $500 million in cash for Tesla during the coming 3 years. This is not scary talk. Once the merger is completed, big funds will be more likely to buy in again because a large question mark has been removed. Big funds buying in can overcome the negatives associated with creative short-selling. The other possible dark cloud for Tesla is a Trump presidency, but if words coming out of the Trump organization can be believed, there will be no attack on clean energy. Thus, the Trump presidency cloud is likely to dissipate much quicker than many investors realize, once investors realize that Trump's policy of enabling domestic expansion of fossil fuel extraction is not at odds in his mind with continued growth of clean-energy-related products. It's growth he wants, not growth of fossil fuels at the expense of clean energy.
* When an event comes along that causes the shorts to switch sides and become longs- Nobody in their right mind is expecting Chanos to announce that he has gone long on TSLA, after all the negative things he has said about the company, but a lot of shorts are into shorting to make a buck, and if they understand how detrimental to the stock price the creative efforts of shorts have been over the past six months, and they understand that shorts will be getting out in big numbers, then the logical thing to do is to go long on Tesla when a catalyst happens which suggests that Tesla will, in fact, reach its goal of substantial Model 3 production in late 2017.
* When TSLA delivers an excellent Q4 ER and upbeat 2017 guidance- We have lots of reasons to believe that gross margin on S and X will be improved in Q4 over Q3 ($2000 price increase in Model S 60, greater increase in autopilot prices compared to costs, elimination of Model X 60 and mandatory inclusion of air suspension in all Model X vehicles). We have reason to believe that Tesla will deliver 25,500 or more vehicles in Q4 (production was above 25,000 in Q3, 5,000+ vehicles in delivery pipeline at end of Q3, guidance is for this number or above, and a tradition of drawing down vehicles in delivery pipeline during Q4 in order to meet or exceed yearly guidance). With good delivery numbers and good margins, Q4 should produce an attractive ER. Fewer weeks are available, no ZEV credits are expected, CapEx will be up substantially, but analysts already know these things and would take them into consideration. What will make 2017 guidance attractive will be the inclusion of Tesla Energy substantial revenues and profits. Add to these profits the positive cash flow once Model 3 starts rolling off the line in substantial numbers (positive cash flow enabled by the 60 day payment terms with suppliers and quick delivery methods). The market has a habit of anticipating good things, and we therefor may not have to wait until the Q4 ER to see the positive results.

Edit: Let me add one more...
* When TSLA breaks through a significant technical point- We have seen multiple times in recent months when the talking heads (including Cramer) predicted TSLA was going higher, but it never happened? Why? These commentators typically base their projections upon technicals and TSLA has approached signficant technical points in recent months and prepared to climb through them, but was always beaten down. By studying daily stock charts, I feel very confident in saying that short-sellers did indeed sell a sufficient number of shares just below the technically-significant numbers to prevent a penetration, and TSLA sunk because expectations were not met. Through a combination of larger institutions re-entering TSLA buying after the SCTY merger is completed and investors becoming more acquainted with the role of short-sellers in preventing the climb through significant technical numbers, longs will find the incentive to overpower the blockade and start significant stock price appreciation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.