Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
German Government Asks Tesla To Rename Autopilot, And Drivers To Read Their Owner's Manual

BILD published the letter a day ago. I have provided a translation from the German officialese to similar English.

(Last week, German magazine Der Spiegel cited experts of Germany’s transport ministry who declared Tesla’s autopilot a “considerable traffic hazard.” )

Dear …..

According to our files, you are owner of a [Make] [Model] vehicle. Should the vehicle be fitted with an assistance system named “Autopilot” as offered by the automaker, then, in Iight of the public discussion of this assistance system, I see myself obliged to point out the following:

The so-called “Autopilot” fitted to your vehicle is a pure driver assistance system, and not a highly automated vehicle that can be operated without the permanent attention of the driver.

Operating this system in your vehicle demands, whenever the system is active, the constant and full attention of the user in regard to the current traffic situation to ensure the full compliance with the legal requirements
(especially StVO).

I jumped in at 3:59pm EST and bought some at $196.40 :)

PLACE YER BETS...
You have more discipline than I do. I got mine at 3:15:32pm EDT at $196.5142.
If the title of that article is the only new information, I'm OK with it. Tesla should help out.
Down 9 cents for the week.
I'm showing a total net drop of $0.10 for the week. Ok! That was fun.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BornToFly
German Government Asks Tesla To Rename Autopilot, And Drivers To Read Their Owner's Manual
BILD published the letter a day ago. I have provided a translation from the German officialese to similar English.

(Last week, German magazine [URL='http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/tesla-autopilot-alexander-dobrindt-ignoriert-kritisches-gutachten-a-1115692.html']Der Spiegel cited
experts of Germany’s transport ministry who declared Tesla’s autopilot a “considerable traffic hazard.” )

Dear …..

According to our files, you are owner of a [Make] [Model] vehicle. Should the vehicle be fitted with an assistance system named “Autopilot” as offered by the automaker, then, in Iight of the public discussion of this assistance system, I see myself obliged to point out the following:

The so-called “Autopilot” fitted to your vehicle is a pure driver assistance system, and not a highly automated vehicle that can be operated without the permanent attention of the driver.

Operating this system in your vehicle demands, whenever the system is active, the constant and full attention of the user in regard to the current traffic situation to ensure the full compliance with the legal requirements
(especially StVO).[/URL]
"Dear German Government,
I am having some difficulty understanding legal text so I cannot fully comply with your diffuse abstract verbose request. However, I find it quite easy to follow the intuitive instructions from my Tesla, so in future I shall elect to abide by those instead. Yours, etc"

Readers in this thread may recall that Electrek reported on a recent interview of Peter Hochholdinger, a new manufacturing hire at Tesla. Jeff Moad, editor of the Manufacturing Leadership Journal, conducted the interview and wrote the article cited by Electrek. The quote that caught most attention was Peter's statement that Tesla was 7 years ahead of anything he had seen. What also caught my eye was a statement in the introduction saying that Tesla is currently producing about 2,400 vehicles per week. The statement was not in a quote from the interview and was presumable based on discussions between the author and Peter Hochholdinger. I couldn't find a specific date for the interview. The Journal publication date is October, 2016 and the Electrec article was published on October 13, 2016.

Tesla averaged 1,937 cars/ week for Q3 and had previously guided for 2,200 cars/week at the end of Q3. Now, apparently, they have jumped to 2,400 cars/week early in Q4. This production rate would ensure a minimum of 24,000 cars produced in Q4, assuming 10 weeks of production. The Q4 number could be higher if production were for more than 10 weeks or if the production rate increased above the current 2,400. Q4 deliveries could be 29,500 if the 24,000 produced and the 5,500 in transit at the end of Q3 were all delivered. An even higher number of deliveries could be achieved by a production rate greater than 2,400 cars/week, more than 10 weeks of production, or clearing out inventory. Perhaps we should be expecting Q4 deliveries to set yet another record for Tesla and explain, at least in part, why Tesla will not need to raise new money in Q4.

Readers in this thread may recall that Electrek reported on a recent interview of Peter Hochholdinger, a new manufacturing hire at Tesla. Jeff Moad, editor of the Manufacturing Leadership Journal, conducted the interview and wrote the article cited by Electrek. The quote that caught most attention was Peter's statement that Tesla was 7 years ahead of anything he had seen. What also caught my eye was a statement in the introduction saying that Tesla is currently producing about 2,400 vehicles per week. The statement was not in a quote from the interview and was presumable based on discussions between the author and Peter Hochholdinger. I couldn't find a specific date for the interview. The Journal publication date is October, 2016 and the Electrec article was published on October 13, 2016.

That was incorrect information. Someone early in this thread got someone from Tesla to provide the correct information. Peak in Q3 was 2,200. Peak in Q4 will be 2,400.

Tesla averaged 1,937 cars/ week for Q3 and had previously guided for 2,200 cars/week at the end of Q3. Now, apparently, they have jumped to 2,400 cars/week early in Q4. This production rate would ensure a minimum of 24,000 cars produced in Q4, assuming 10 weeks of production. The Q4 number could be higher if production were for more than 10 weeks or if the production rate increased above the current 2,400. Q4 deliveries could be 29,500 if the 24,000 produced and the 5,500 in transit at the end of Q3 were all delivered. An even higher number of deliveries could be achieved by a production rate greater than 2,400 cars/week, more than 10 weeks of production, or clearing out inventory. Perhaps we should be expecting Q4 deliveries to set yet another record for Tesla and explain, at least in part, why Tesla will not need to raise new money in Q4.
No. Please calm down, take a breath. This was explained a bit up-thread as a misunderstanding. 2400 was NOT the current rate. It may be the exit rate for 2016, but q4 has probaby only 11 weeks production.

Live the reality, it will do well enough.

EDIT: MP3Mike beat me to it. Must grease my keyboard!

Readers in this thread may recall that Electrek reported on a recent interview of Peter Hochholdinger, a new manufacturing hire at Tesla. Jeff Moad, editor of the Manufacturing Leadership Journal, conducted the interview and wrote the article cited by Electrek. The quote that caught most attention was Peter's statement that Tesla was 7 years ahead of anything he had seen. What also caught my eye was a statement in the introduction saying that Tesla is currently producing about 2,400 vehicles per week. snip

Apparently this has been corrected and TSLA's publicly stated run rate has not changed. (Sorry, no link, just see above.)

In early August Elon said:

“Autonomy is going to come a hell of a lot faster than anyone thinks it will, and I think what we’ve got under development is going to blow people’s minds,” he said. “It blows my mind.”

An announcement on Monday to do with full autonomy would fit with his now saying 'unexpected by most', instead of 'anyone' (having made the proclamation in early August). Perhaps the recent stock weakness is partly due to investors anticipating this and being concerned that the reaction to the news will be negative ('they're going way too fast, 'Joshua Brown X100' etc). With the media's willingness to publish tsla FUD it may not be a positive thing in the short term to 'blow people's minds'.

Since it is officially the weekend, I wanted to throw some things out for consideration:

- In 2013/2014 - when Tesla ran from $30 - ATH, the S&P 500 was up 32% and 13% and momentum stocks were en vogue.

- In 2015 and 2016 the S&P 500 is nearly flat and sectors like dividend stocks and utilities are leading the market. TSLA, while volatile, is flat.

- There are myriad of technical indicators and fundamental indicators that the US Large Cap market is overbought..

- Think of TSLA of fall 2016 like TSLA of fall 2012 (only better). Tesla is getting zero credit for Tesla Energy, is judged as handicapped by the SCTY acquisition and there is significant doubt about the start and ramp of Model III (just as the Model S was doubted and derided in 2012).

I don't think any of the catalysts in the next 6 months can overcome the macro headwinds and the SCTY/Energy/Model III doubts....(I could be very wrong on this note, please form your own thesis). The best setup for TSLA longs/traders would be a market correction that pulls TSLA down with it, followed by:

- A Q4/Q1 earnings with material revenue from Tesla Energy
- A Model III reveal Part Deux and an updated reservation push (a Model Y?)
- An update on the Model III production schedule

I think return to momentum will require a market that encourages momentum investing and will require Tesla, once again, to make the doubters and general public believe what they see with their lying eyes, not the "truth" they hear from analysts and Seeking Alpha.

Cheers

^^ Yet another example of the tangible damage done here by those concern trolls with the eternal flow of nonsensical if somewhat tangentially plausible queries that clog up this thread and camouflage real information. Look, I have no problem with bona fide questions and worries, even if they may appear silly on their face, but it seems to me that some posters are doing their damnedest to derail us. Regrettably it sometimes does, too, because many others can't help trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.