Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA now back up to 90% of its pre-brexit, pre-SCTY-acquisition price.

Avondale just upgraded SCTY from market perform to outperform based on their anticipation of the successful resolution of the Tesla bid.

Cool :) And I just incremented my TSLA position at 201 (yeah, wish I'd done this yesterday, but that knife doesn't fall or bounce very predictably), so the stock is free to soar up now, thank you very much.

disclosure - big TSLA long, token position in SCTY (was looking to add to it when Elon made his announcement).
I am okay with the deal going through (primarily because I support the mission and suspect Elon et alia can make this a good thing long-term, even if it delays cash-flow-positive) but haven't decided which way to vote.

2d disclosure - I did take physics in HS and still have no clue what y'all are talking about, sadly. Not sure if that is a reflection of my HS, or my aging brain... nevertheless, that's what I like about this forum, I learn so much - even if it's just how much I don't know :)

p.s. guys, pls cut the ad hominems. Sorry this is a contentious issue and there's history and resentment and suspicion all over the place, but pls focus on the issue, not the tissue.
And thanks to all of you who are saying who you're responding to so I don't have to unhide ignores.

I see much Solarcity, tesla, and spacex satellite synergies around the commercial implications (as well as competitive advantages) of GaN application and research by Elon now and into the long term future (such as the possibilities described earlier).

Where is GaN Going? EPC Releases Six Videos Featuring GaN Technology in Game-Changing Industrial and Consumer Applications | Business Wire

Move over, silicon. Gallium nitride chips are taking over

Judge for yourself about what Panasonic is doing with GaN. Maybe tesla involvement as well? I'm sure having massive mass production capabilities in Nevada and in buffalo could really accelerate things significantly?

Short term trading idea:

if the SCTY deal goes through, SCTY will be linked to TSLA

One way to profit from this would be to sell SCTY JAN19'18 25 PUT for 11$

The option premium seems very high to me.

I currently can see value at $10. So $25 will have a high chance of exercise. What do you think of SCTY's book. I see some strange categorizations but am not experienced enough to immediately know if they are legit or not so I just discount them.

Reactions: Seesaw and pGo
Foghat, with all due respect, Tesla is not going to build a semiconductor factory. They might do some Asic's and SOC design in the future, however that something very different and is not very relevant in this thread.

You seem to have done quite a bit of research into SolarCity and did post a lot of interesting information on the current Solarcity products and business. Maybe you should keep sharing that in the SolarCity threads. I advise you to stick with what the two companies are doing now, and not some wild speculation about possible future activities that do not seem in your field of expertise.

Last edited:
BREAKING:
Report: Tesla in talks with gas station chain to expand charging network
Jun. 28, 2016 2:58 PM • SA Editor Carl Surran
•Tesla (TSLA +1.4%) is in talks with a major gas station and convenience store chain that could vastly expand its network of charging stations, the Washington Post reports.
•The Sheetz chain, which operates hundreds of retail outlets across six states, mostly in the mid-Atlantic region, and does nearly $7B in business every year, confirms that ongoing discussions are taking place.
•According to the report, the potential partnership between TSLA and Sheetz could foreshadow the start of a wider awakening in the gas station and convenience store industry, leading to radical changes in typical gas stations of the future to look more like restaurants.

BREAKING:
•Tesla (TSLA +1.4%) is in talks with a major gas station and convenience store chain that could vastly expand its network of charging stations, the Washington Post reports.
•The Sheetz chain, which operates hundreds of retail outlets across six states, mostly in the mid-Atlantic region, and does nearly $7B in business every year, confirms that ongoing discussions are taking place.
•According to the report, the potential partnership between TSLA and Sheetz could foreshadow the start of a wider awakening in the gas station and convenience store industry, leading to radical changes in typical gas stations of the future to look more like restaurants.
And to add to that, any time a consumer spends more time at a restaurant/store, there is a higher chance for a purchase... Is this modeled as a function of time? This would determine the kind of charger...

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Foghat, with all due respect, Tesla is not going to build a semiconductor factory. They might do some Asic's and SOC design in the future, however that something very different and is not very relevant in this thread.

You seem to have done quite a bit of research into SolarCity and did post a lot of interesting information on the current Solarcity products and business. Maybe you should keep sharing that in the SolarCity threads. I advise you to stick with what the two companies are doing now, and not some wild speculation about possible future activities that do not seem in your field of expertise.
Thanks for the concern. This was conversation about the commercial applications of synergies Solarcity and tesla (as well as spacex) have under(or on top) one roof.

It directly relates to what a purchase of Solarcity brings to the table as its value goes far beyond putting panels on roofs and leases/ppa.

Both Solarcity and tesla are in the midst of a possible aquisition which necessitates a long term considered eval of benefits/risks to each as we consider a yes or no vote.

This aquisition decision is a multi decade decision affecting the future of both Solarcity and tesla, and should have considerations for what future developments might come to be commercial viabile from such a combine.

The technological advances that affect inverter efficiencies in solar, auto (and space) applications, as well as Lidar, panel advancements, among multitude of other product differenentiating values are particularly prescient at this stage of the aquisition process.

Im an investor in both tsla and scty for many years now and have a vested interest in the fair and successful melding of the two companies.

I'm sure you can ignore my comments if they are unsatisfactory to your own evaluation of this deal.

Last edited:
Then please stop getting into them. These comments are getting too personal, once again, as seems to happen far too often in this thread. Can people just stop the personal attacks, like for a week or so, for once?

Don't we all benefit with catching, exposing and discouraging trolls?

Why bull-trolls should get treated differently than bear-trolls?

Everyone jumps all over a bear-troll here. But the etiquette seems to dictate that if you see a bull-troll, just move on as if nothing happened. It's no ones business to catch or counter. In fact it's a bad thing to do so.

I currently can see value at $10. So $25 will have a high chance of exercise. What do you think of SCTY's book. I see some strange categorizations but am not experienced enough to immediately know if they are legit or not so I just discount them.

Well - I am speculating the deal will go through. As others have pointed out, this is a prerequisite for this trade.

If the deal goes through and we calculate an 8 to one ratio (SCTY : TSLA) effectively you are selling 200 Strike TSLA PUTs for 88$.

The market values these at ca. 50$.

I have been thinking of other SCTY plays. The basis of these is always the premium the offer pays over the current stock price. So it was cheaper to buy TSLA via SCTY (alway contingent of the deal going through). In the last days this gap has been filling.

BREAKING:
Oh how I wish Tesla-Bjorn was here -- he would have a comprehensive comment, I'm sure of it. :p:oops::rolleyes:

some more good news from Anton Wahlman on SA.

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3984976-gm-nissan-send-thank-letters-volkswagen-adios-tesla

VW will fund and build a large additional charging network in the USA.

To everybody's opinion (except Anton) this is great news. It confirms Elons vision, the switch to EV's and will offer an additional charger network for all those Model-3's.

P.S. I hope Elon will write a thank-you VW blog post on this.

Edit: added direct link SA to article and last line.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceAce
Status
Not open for further replies.