Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

shared 15 amp for mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got our Y delivered a couple of weeks ago. We are in a rental and cannot install a wall connector. The electrical panelboard shows that the wire to the garage is 15 amp. There are lights etc. and garage door opener using the 15 amp. Can I plug a mobile connector to the outlet in the garage? Is this a high risk for overloading? There is a fridge in the garage now but I am planning to unplug it (permanently). Thank you!!

Yes it can be shared, but it's good to be aware of the loads that are in use while charging. Lights (as long as they're LED) and a garage opener should not cause an issue. I would try to keep any other continuous draws below 1 amp. The fridge would be an issue. You might want to make sure the receptacle and wiring is in good condition. Besides that, you should be good.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I'm in a similar position, using a mobile connector right now and I have a fridge in the garage. I just lower the amperage of the mobile connector so we don't overload the circuit. You should be okay - its just really slow.

Reactions: mongo
Yes, you can safely use the 15 amp circuit in the garage to charge your Tesla Model Y vehicle with the Tesla Mobile Connector and 5-15 plug adapter. There are a couple of caveats, things to consider:

If the wall receptacle in the garage that you plan to use to charge is more than 10 years old, definitely replace the receptacle with a new 5-15R. Spend a little more for a higher quality receptacle that comes in a box, not sold loose in a bin. Always use the screw down terminals provided on the receptacle, never use the push-in connections for the wires.

Don't use an extension cord. Leave the Mobile Connector plugged into the receptacle (don't regularly plug and unplug the power plug. Support the Tesla Mobile Connector electronics chassis using a wall mount (Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector) or fashion a similar support. Don't let the Mobile Connector hang supported by only the power plug.

The Tesla Mobile Connector will default to enabling charging at 12 amps with the 5-15 adapter (the maximum allowed on a 15 amp circuit.) When charging at 12 amps, the garage door opener, when the garage door is opening and closing, would momentarily add to this load and exceed the 15 amp rating for the circuit. A single garage door opener probably would not be enough additional load to trip the breaker because the garage door opener only operates for ~15 seconds.

You can lower the charging amperage to 8 amps from the charging screen and from the Tesla phone app when charging at this location. The Tesla Model Y charging software should remember the charging amperage selected for the location. (Sometimes the Tesla charging software resets to the maximum. This is not an issue as the Mobile Connector will only enable charging at the maximum for the power plug that is connected to the Mobile Connector, so never more than 12 amps with the 5-15 power plug adapter.)

Charging at 8 amps would be slower, so 3 miles of range added per hour when charging instead of 4 miles or range added per hour when charging. If you are not certain what else is connected to the circuit or the age and condition of the wiring then charging at 8 amps instead of 12 amps would be safer. You would have the knowledge that you are not close to overloading the circuit.

Last edited:
We just got our Y delivered a couple of weeks ago. We are in a rental and cannot install a wall connector. The electrical panelboard shows that the wire to the garage is 15 amp. There are lights etc. and garage door opener using the 15 amp. Can I plug a mobile connector to the outlet in the garage? Is this a high risk for overloading? There is a fridge in the garage now but I am planning to unplug it (permanently). Thank you!!
It depends.

I'm alternating a single 120V 15A plug between my two cars quite successfully.

• The garage door opener hasn't been problematic, but we have two and if we open them both as the car is charging, the breaker trips.
  • I've charged on a circuit at my Dad's that has a refrigerator on it. It does trip periodically, especially in the middle of the night when the fridge compressor comes on and makes you get out of bed to fix it.
  • You may want to throw the breaker and see if anything else unexpectedly goes off

And absolutely make sure you know where the breaker is in case it does trip. Also makes sure that other family members know how to reset it.

Just make sure that your mobile connector has the right adapter and if it doesn't ask the Service Center if they have one (for sale).

Under any circumstances, you'll want to know where your local Superchargers are, but sometimes a little more so when charging off of 120V 15A.

And you can expect about 5 miles an hour or 60 miles in 12 hours charge rate. So if your commute is much more than 60 miles, you may need to find some augmentation.

The charging bundle has the table of the expected charging speeds

Reactions: Beans4Me