Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Mode Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you bring your car in for service, do you know if they place it in Service Mode while it’s still sitting in the outside parking lot overnight? I just learned this new process from my service center and I was concerned about the security of my vehicle sitting out overnight. Anyone can access this parking lot and you don’t receive notice through your Tesla app.

Am I worrying for nothing?

I don't know the answer, but my car is at the body shop and does the app tell you when they put the car in service mode do you know? Mine was normal for a few days and today the car was moved but now it says vehicle connection error. The shop told me they usually put it in service mode, but I thought if it was in service mode the app would say so?

When you bring your car in for service, do you know if they place it in Service Mode while it’s still sitting in the outside parking lot overnight? I just learned this new process from my service center and I was concerned about the security of my vehicle sitting out overnight. Anyone can access this parking lot and you don’t receive notice through your Tesla app.

Am I worrying for nothing?
Yes you are worrying for nothing.

I dropped off my car for warranty work yesterday, and found it was unlocked late at night (in their parking lot) after they closed. I was able to lock it remotely. Not sure if it was in service mode, as I had access to the standard remote controls, but it did say "In Service" on the home screen.

I dropped off my car for warranty work yesterday, and found it was unlocked late at night (in their parking lot) after they closed. I was able to lock it remotely. Not sure if it was in service mode, as I had access to the standard remote controls, but it did say "In Service" on the home screen.
There seem to be two stages of service mode. Ive seen it where I cant control anything, and Ive seen it where its "in service" but I could control the car.

I don't know the answer, but my car is at the body shop and does the app tell you when they put the car in service mode do you know? Mine was normal for a few days and today the car was moved but now it says vehicle connection error. The shop told me they usually put it in service mode, but I thought if it was in service mode the app would say so?

Your app will not tell you. I just happened to see the screen in my car after the Advisor checked it in. He placed it in Service Mode and its in big letters on your 15 inch screen, but no indication on your app. You just won't be able to connect to your car. I have no problem with this when its being worked on and in the shop, but not for 24 hours prior to them bringing it in the shop and left outside over night. I have to admit, it really chapped my a$$. I know the dealership is responsible if theft occurred, but would they reimburse me $4k in the upgrades I put on my vehicle like PPF, Ceramic Coating, Interior Lighting, Wheels etc?

Grab a camping bag and go sleep in your car while it’s in there care. Lol.

Don’t worry about it you’re obsessing over nothing. Just like any other dealership when they have to keep your car over nights for service.

Actually, I didn’t lose any sleep over it, but I thought placing my car in Service Mode 24 hours before it was brought in for service was a questionable and unnecessary process.