Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry suddenly going crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I've gone through the threads where others have had these issues but I haven't seen much that seems tied to my situation.

My '19 M3p updated to 2023.44.30.25 a few days ago. Ever since the update, sentry has been going bonkers with recording events. It's picking up anywhere from 300-500 a night, and picking up events that it previously would have excluded, such as when I'm walking up to the car to get in.

The only thing that I can see in the nightly events are some decorative lights in view, which flicker as many LEDs do on camera.

It looks like 2024.3.10 is downloading now, but in case that doesnt resolve it, does anyone have any ideas what I can do to resolve this?

It looks like 2024.3.10 is downloading now, but in case that doesnt resolve it, does anyone have any ideas what I can do to resolve this?
This might sound like a snarky response, but it's actually a serious one: turn off Sentry Mode. Clearly it is overreacting and not working well for you, so I would just turn it off anyway as it's likely not going to give you any real events anyway (likely overwriting any that may in fact be legit).

Is this only happening at home (overnight, with the decorative lights you mention)? If so, just disable it at home (for now) so that it remains active in other areas that aren't so sensitive. Then try again after each update.

Also, can you try to park in the reverse direction so the offending camera is pointing away from the decorative lights?

This might sound like a snarky response, but it's actually a serious one: turn off Sentry Mode. Clearly it is overreacting and not working well for you, so I would just turn it off anyway as it's likely not going to give you any real events anyway (likely overwriting any that may in fact be legit).

Is this only happening at home (overnight, with the decorative lights you mention)? If so, just disable it at home (for now) so that it remains active in other areas that aren't so sensitive. Then try again after each update.

Also, can you try to park in the reverse direction so the offending camera is pointing away from the decorative lights?
Thanks for the ideas. I've considered turning it off, but we live in a region with quite a few people who are still opposed to EVs and will occasionally make their prejudices known. When out and about, it will still occur, but not nearly as much. It'll pick up people walking about 10 feet from the car, and it picks up me or my wife opening the trunk/doors.

The lights just seem to be the trigger at night, but it seems like it's still sensitive during the day. I'm disabling it at home for now, I was just hoping that I wasn't alone in this issue lol

I use a dashcam instead, connected to the ODBC plug, so the car can go to sleep
while I am using my dashcam, which drains much less battery than Sentry.

Also with my dashcam (Blackvue DR 900X) I can select or suppress some video image areas,
in case of a flashing light triggering the alarm. And if there is a WiFi available I can monitor
remotely my dashcam.

Last edited: