Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My IB account has finally updated to show the correct share and options values and quantities. Earlier it was just the options values that had updated along with my account showing -108% excess liquidity.o_O Thankfully all fixed now.

One thing I think we'll all have to adjust to is deciding what is an appropriate spread width for new BPS and BCS. I've been used to doing $40 wide spreads lately while many others do $100 or more. These wont be appropriate anymore as they'll use up too much margin versus the actual price movement risk and premiums. My current $40 wide spreads are now showing as $13.33 wide, so I'll likely go to $15 in future. Also 3x more total spreads to get the same premium versus margin usage. For a previous $100 wide spread, around $35 would seem roughly equivalent (11.67% move from $300 vs 11.11% move from $900)? Similar happened after the last split but the rapid rise in TSLA soon made it feel like nothing much had changed.

Are people looking to do similar or are you looking at these kind of spreads differently now?

Last edited:
i am soooo excited to 3x my shares tomorrowwwwww 🤸‍♀️

husband will think i must be a genius working miracles on my trading
i am soooo excited to 3x my shares tomorrowwwwww 🤸‍♀️

husband will think i must be a genius working miracles on my trading

For now My portfolio looks like I sold all my TSLA to buy Rivian at IPO.

I have the same number of shares but the price was cut down in 3

Looks like my option trading success so far

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms
Why have 1 max-pain, when you can have 2:
1661433359444.png

so .. this site also got kind of broken :D

Post split, I think I'm in a comfortable place to begin selling covered calls. I was wondering if anyone has properly back-tested selling monthly expiries once per month vs selling weeklies once per week?

Unfortunately, I only have a sample of options data that I manually collected from 2021-09-13 until 2021-10-08, so it's not systematic, but I did test two strategies with it without looking at the SP performance prior to running the tests:

Strategy 1 was selling a covered call at the bid on Monday 2021-09-13 with a expiry of 2021-10-08 and a strike nearest to the underlying +20%, and then BTC it at expiry for whatever the ask was. Since the underlying was 743 that Monday, the strike of the call ended up at 890, sold for 1.03 per share, and BTC for 0.01 per share, for a total profit of 1.02 per share.

Strategy 2 was selling 4 covered calls, once every Monday on 2021-09-13, 2021-09-20, 2021-09-27, and 2021-10-04 with expiries the following Friday. I started off with strikes of underlying +5%, and weeks 1, 3, and 4 generated a total profit of 6.35 per share, but week 2 went ITM and was BTC for -8.80 per share, leading to a monthly loss of 2.45 per share. So bumping that up to underlying +10%, all 4 weeks end up OTM, and I ended up with a total profit of 1.41 per share (or about 27% more profitable than strategy 1).

Has anyone done similar backtesting? Or could someone point me in the direction of any good data source that would enable me to backtest more than just one random month?

It seems to me the call prices dropped more than the split would explain.
E.g. yesterday 930 strike weekly was trading from $10 down to $4 roughly, that would be 310 strike today and that is now below $0.50, which is much lower than the price adjusted $4 -> $1.33.
Similar for Sept.16 calls I have and even June.2024 calls dropped in value much more than split adjustment.

E.g. yesterday 930 strike weekly was trading from $10 down to $4 roughly, that would be 310 strike today and that is now below $0.50, which is much lower than the price adjusted $4 -> $1.33.
Similar for Sept.16 calls I have and even June.2024 calls dropped in value much more than split adjustment.
I am seeing the same. The initial thought was to roll to non-fractional strike. Looking at like strike, about 60% or more of the premium available yesterday went away. I now have to roll down and out for about less than the credit that I could have rolled yesterday at even strike. For reference, rolling 261.67 to Sep 2 from a buy write.

IV did plummet as well, though I don't know if that would fully make up the difference.

Reactions: BornToFly