Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling the car to family member

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brother thinking about buying an used Model 3 - I could potentially sell him mine as better deal and get a new one myself.

Does sale tax still apply between family members? I read family transfers are tax exempt. I guess he would just give me a check and I'll just transfer the car to him?

the form implies a sale to an adult sibling is not one of the tax exempt transfers

sales tax is when the seller/retailer collects the tax at the point of sale (like in a store) and reports and submits it to the government. its associated with the act of selling.

use tax is if the seller doesn't collect the tax (for whatever reason - usually because the seller doesn't have to), and the buyer later has to remit it to the government (as the user).

I'm not an expert - just basic info

the form implies a sale to an adult sibling is not one of the tax exempt transfers

Yeah that makes no sense.

4.035 Transactions Not Subject to Use Tax - California DMV

"Family transfer sold between a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, spouse, domestic partner, or siblings (if both are minors related by blood or adoption)."

BOTH have to be minors??! how many minors own and want to own a car? wth, so confusing.

By that verbiage above, I guess you can do Tranfer to parent, then parent can just xfer to the other sibling.

I might have to get AAA membership just to find out.