Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking advice for trip to tahoe in snow conditions (sr+) max charge 220miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

adtp

Aug 9, 2019
sf
I am planning a trip to South Lake Tahoe from sf bay area, the nearest spot to Lake Tahoe with supercharger seems to be placerville (via us-50), my sr+ Holds 220 miles of max charge, is this going to be enough to drive under snow conditions to reach safely with my family?
How much charge it loses if a snow chain is put on and driving at 30mph ? I am planning to have 200miles of charge from placerville to head to south lake tahoe is this going to be enough ?
One of the youtube video stated driving in snow conditions they were losing 5miles of charge per mile, that doesnt look good but is this the norm ?
Thanks for advice.

I am planning a trip to South Lake Tahoe from sf bay area, the nearest spot to Lake Tahoe with supercharger seems to be placerville (via us-50), my sr+ Holds 220 miles of max charge, is this going to be enough to drive under snow conditions to reach safely with my family?
How much charge it loses if a snow chain is put on and driving at 30mph ? I am planning to have 200miles of charge from placerville to head to south lake tahoe is this going to be enough ?
One of the youtube video stated driving in snow conditions they were losing 5miles of charge per mile, that doesnt look good but is this the norm ?
Thanks for advice.

I understand your concern. Have you ever used "A Better Route Planner"? ( www.abetterrouteplanner.com )

According to ABRP, the trip from Placerville to South Lake Tahoe in 25 degree weather plus heavy rain or snow should take about 54% of your charge capacity. Click this link to see the route and details: ABRP

What I can't comment on is what would happen if you're running snow chains, but yes, that could also be a big factor in rolling resistance and range.

Since there's a Supercharger in South Lake Tahoe, at least you'd be able to re-charge before heading back home...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood