Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a P85/90D L, but I've never seen that extra button below the ludicrous button. The blue one they held and then told them that the battery was heating... part of the "secret sauce"? Please inform me if I am wrong.

I don't have a P85/90D L, but I've never seen that extra button below the ludicrous button. The blue one they held and then told them that the battery was heating... part of the "secret sauce"? Please inform me if I am wrong.

That's just the max battery setting. Nothing new, it's been there for months and is on every P85D and P90D (even those without Ludicrous).

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I thought the same thing when he held the Ludicrous selection down and went to max battery. This is what we see with current Ludicrous, the hyperspace effect.

But the video appears to have been edited at that point to seque into the next shot.

In it;

1. The driver then goes on to say that they have "pushed all of the liability buttons" which implies that it may be a beta release, much the same as was autopilot.

That part right there; "we've pushed the liability buttons" is key, and should be familiar to all of us in here. We know what that means.

2. He then goes on to say; "And the special code that you have to put in to unlock this mode".

This, if authentic, indicates to me that there is an update, or upgrade to the current version of Ludicrous. What it's called, I don't know, but "minimum plaid" could likely be the appropriate description of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gsxdsm
I just have a hard time reconciling someone being a beta tester for this and at the same to so bluntly violating his [very probable] non disclosure agreement.

I originally thought he was just mistakenly talking about the plain old P85D Ludicrous retrofit, but he's not a Model S newbie and clearly knows his stuff. Multiple times they emphasized this isn't the Ludicrous that everyone else has. And we know that MotorTrend got a special firmware when they tested the P90D Ludicrous since it had launch control weeks before anyone else got it.

One last piece of evidence that there is still some unlocked performance in the Model S P85DL/P90DL. The Model X P90DL and Model S P90DL should have the exact same powertrain and power output potential. Yet, when tested head to head, the Model X power output is unexpectedly higher and the performance much closer to the S than should be expected.

Brooks from Dragtimes even speculates "Given the weight/aero differences and how close these races were, especially at higher speeds after the initial launch, we have to consider that the Model X could be making more power than the Model S. Maybe an upcoming software update for the Model S will increase power and performance, enabling the elusive 10.9 second 1/4 mile run that Tesla specifies for the Model S P90D Ludicrous."

Tesla Model X vs Model S P90D Ludicrous – World Record Set During Husband vs Wife Drag Racing 1/4 Mile Showdown

All signs point to a nice surprise coming for P85D/P90D owners, and finally some closure to the dozens of threads about misleading horsepower ratings, 0-60 times, quarter mile times, etc.,

I just have a hard time reconciling someone being a beta tester for this and at the same to so bluntly violating his [very probable] non disclosure agreement.

Assuming he had an agreement, it is possible that it might not have been as extensively restrictive as one might think that it should have, or would have been.

They may actually have wanted it leaked. After all, that video is still up. As is this thread. If they wanted either gone, then one or both would probably be gone by now. He also draws the line at releasing the actual "name" of this "upgrade".

The stuff they really don't want leaked, doesn't get leaked. Notice how we knew virtually nothing about the Model 3 until last week. No spy shots, no specs, no nothing.

There are good rumors and then there are bad rumors. I don't see this as being anything other than a good rumor for them.

Strategically leaking such information does exactly what you are seeing happening here. This is just kindling, same as the "leaked" shots of the new dash interface in the last update.

If there is anything to this, and an official statement follows, well then the buzz/blaze just grows bigger.

Last edited:
I so want all this to be true as it will be fantastic for Tesla.

That said, I will have to be counted as one of the disappointed current owners.

I purchased an 85D on the basis that the 90D only had 5KWH extra of battery (it now seems the 90KWH battery is just that, but the 85KHW is more like 80KWH, so the real difference is >10% ... that would have had me buy the 90D

I purchased the 85D instead of the P85/90D as it was clear that car was not making the claimed power and the performance difference >30mph was not massive in spite of Tesla promise that the ludicrous update would improve higher speed performance, which it did but not by much.

So I have an 85D and I am very happy with it, but had Tesla been more open about the further possibilities even if not fully quantified or exact timescales set, then I would now be in a Ludicrous upgraded P90D and excitedly awaiting this possible upgrade.

Difference to Tesla iro -$30K. Difference to me - disappointed vs excited owner
Conclusion Tesla marketing appears to remain its weakest facet.

I so want all this to be true as it will be fantastic for Tesla.

That said, I will have to be counted as one of the disappointed current owners.

I purchased an 85D on the basis that the 90D only had 5KWH extra of battery (it now seems the 90KWH battery is just that, but the 85KHW is more like 80KWH, so the real difference is >10% ... that would have had me buy the 90D

I purchased the 85D instead of the P85/90D as it was clear that car was not making the claimed power and the performance difference >30mph was not massive in spite of Tesla promise that the ludicrous update would improve higher speed performance, which it did but not by much.

So I have an 85D and I am very happy with it, but had Tesla been more open about the further possibilities even if not fully quantified or exact timescales set, then I would now be in a Ludicrous upgraded P90D and excitedly awaiting this possible upgrade.

Difference to Tesla iro -$30K. Difference to me - disappointed vs excited owner
Conclusion Tesla marketing appears to remain its weakest facet.

I know that this is a sore spot for some, but a lot of those "it doesn't make the claimed horsepower" and the "there's not that big of a horsepower difference between the 85D and the P85D" , when the actual performance figures in the quarter mile and in 0-60 were so different, and the constant bleating that "they did this with rollout and that without rollout" , did a lot of people a disservice, and influenced their purchasing decisions, decisions which some may now lament.

At the end of the day, it's the actual performance numbers. Not the horsepower. To wit, at this point, it doesn't matter how much if any more horsepower this supposed "new mode" offers, if it improves performance.

And that was the difference before, no matter the horsepower, and why those arguments now, more than ever, seem moot.

Since I am a firm believer in that, I am now more hopeful than ever, that this is the missing piece of the puzzle and the explanation as to Tesla's representation that this car would do 10.9 seconds in the quarter.