Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E. Anyone else on the old 11a-6p TOU DR-SESG plan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I went into my Tesla app to update the TOU rate plan settings for the PW. I have service under NEM 2.0 and am somehow still on the old TOU plan with 11a-6p peak during summer. I pulled up the tariff and saw something new.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 6.41.12 PM.png

On sheet 5 where the rates are shown for grandfathered plans, the total rate is the same for all periods. $.53 for winter and $.51 for Summer. Even for off peak. This was not the case for previous tariffs. Looking at rates for the new TOU plans, they are variable as expected.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 6.42.19 PM.png

My understanding (which obviously was not correct) was that during the grandfathering period, one is grandfathered to the rate plan (i.e. times that defined peak, off peak etc.) for the 5 year period, but the rates could change but they'd be the same rates consistent with current TOU plans. If peak is $.51, it is $.51 across all TOU plans. Clearly not the case and now the grandfathered plans are not really TOU at all. No benefit to time shifting use, charging at night etc.

How can this be? Anyone else on this plan catch these changes on Jan 1? If the utility can charge whatever rates they wish between plans, what am I grandfathered into? At this point, I have no peak, off peak, or super off peak. It's flat rate. Can someone with some knowledge on this help? I don't want to call and draw attention to my PTO date for solar being 5 years ago. Maybe my PW PTO "reset" my 5 year grandfathering (into what I have no idea at this point).

Here's an example of an old tariff.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 6.53.19 PM.png

The tariff (https://tariff.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/ELEC_ELEC-SCHEDS_DR-SES.pdf) mentions (bolding mine):

TOU Period Grandfathering Term (Residential): Upon SDG&E’s implementation of updated TOU periods adopted in D.17-08-030, TOU Grandfathering Eligible Customer Generators will continue to be billed under prior existing TOU periods and resulting rates for the remainder of their applicable TOU Grandfathering Term, which begins upon issuance of a permission to operate customer’s on-site solar system and continues for 5 years. In no event shall the duration a customer’s grandfathering term extend beyond July 31, 2022. Upon expiration of a customer’s TOU period Grandfathering Term, the customer will be billed using his otherwise applicable TOU periods and associated rates beginning with the customer’s the next billing cycle.

Is this rate effectively dead for August billing period and beyond?

What's the best rate play here?

Thanks.

Last edited: