Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scuba diving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to teach (before kids ;-), and was a PADI instructor (still am, but inactive), and SDI/TDI Instructor Trainer. Dove all around the world, but the highlights were definitely Malaysia Sipadan (Asia), Palau (Pacific), and the caves of the Yucatan peninsula (Americas).

I found it interesting to see the similarities between deep technical diving and EV trip planning. Both are concerned with a finite limited resource (gas / battery capacity), as well as terrain (depth / hills) and variable (exertion / speed) factors affecting consumption of that resource. The techniques for both are similar, although a mistake for the former can be more impacting.
Interesting point. Might be a similar reason why there seem to be so many pilots on TMC, or maybe we are all just thrill seekers? Either way there are definite similarities.
Anyway, I originally discovered SCUBA at a club med in the 80s and went home and got an NASDS certification (doesn't exist now AFAIK). Did a lot of cold water diving in the nearby mountain lakes, and in the Pacific but gradually lost interest and time, what with raising a family and a wife who didn't dive. Some 8 years ago I started up diving again and did a PADI certification with the open water component being done in the Mayan Riviera (Mexico). I Followed that up with an advanced open water that I did in Sharm El Sheik (Egypt) - probably the best diving I've done. I've also done a week of diving on Cozumel and a few years back I did a live aboard shark dive trip off Guadalupe (Mexico) very memorable. Diving has ramped down again recently (new wife that also doesnt dive - yet) though I did a few dives off Cozumel again a couple of years ago. I have lots of mediocre pictures somewhere on Flikr and maybe I'll post a couple of shark pics.

My wife and I are avid divers (just became PADI Divemasters in Sep) and would take our S or the X (when she arrives) diving but not much good diving in AZ and would be a lot more difficult to get them to Bonaire which is our yearly destination. :)
I'm an SDI and TDI divemaster (so both recreational and tech diving). I visited Bonaire for the first time last fall and really liked it. Planning to go back in October.

I'm an SDI and TDI divemaster (so both recreational and tech diving). I visited Bonaire for the first time last fall and really liked it. Planning to go back in October.

Cool Dirk on Rec and Tech! Bonaire really is our favorite destination and will be our 9th visit this year when we go during Thanksgiving week... Next up though is the Maldives for a 10 day liveaboard (5 more weeks till we leave). Crossing our fingers/toes for Giant Mantas and Whale Sharks!

I'm here to please :cool:

Most important thing to buy? Dive computer.

Yeah, of course! I'm a gadget/electronics freak likely just like everyone else here. But the instructor at the resort said to hold off, and I can see/use several different ones in action, and then decide. Also decide if diving is something I want to invest more $$$ in. Spending $300 on the basics is OK for now.. don't want to invest several more hundos in a dive computer unless I'm going to be real serious about diving.

Yeah, of course! I'm a gadget/electronics freak likely just like everyone else here. But the instructor at the resort said to hold off, and I can see/use several different ones in action, and then decide. Also decide if diving is something I want to invest more $$$ in. Spending $300 on the basics is OK for now.. don't want to invest several more hundos in a dive computer unless I'm going to be real serious about diving.
That's a recurring conversation. I believe that people should buy a dive computer, train with it and get used to it. Yes, if you decide that diving isn't for you that wasted money...
Let me make some totally sweeping, invasive and unfounded assumptions... as the owner of a car with a Flux Capacitor I'm assuming that you are in an income bracket where spending a few hundred dollars on a dive computer won't cause you to eat cat food the following month. The dive instructor at the resort, on the other hand, most likely has an annual income below USD25k. He may see the investment differently from the way you or I or many other Tesla owners look at it...

I should add that as someone writing dive log software I have about a dozen dive computers and am rather non-representative of the overall population of divers...

I'll just throw in that most equipment is easily rented and mostly just nice and convenient to own yourself. Even a reasonable dive computer might save your life (or at least your health) and they're rarely available to rent. I agree with Dirk.

BTW, I use my Roadster to go diving. Whatever you do with a Roadster its's a tight fit.

Another BTW, I wonder if I'm the only one here who has been in open water with wetsuit and hardhat at the same time? Yes, it was required head gear and not for a joke.

Ah, SCUBA. A great love, and long distance relationships suck! I've been very little since moving much further inland. I usually only manage 1 trip a year now days.

So yet another thread to waste time. :rolleyes:

I'm leaving in a couple of days for Utila (Honduras) for my first diving trip... getting certified down there.. I've been doing the PADI e-Learning all week -- have one last section (out of five) to go, likely will do that today.

I'm going on this trip with a few other well seasoned drivers and also a PADI instructor, so I think I'll be in good hands. Doing the confined and open water parts as soon as I can when I get down there (Sun/Mon) and then hope to do a couple of dives per day.

I already bought some basic gear to start out: Mask, snorkel, short boots, dive socks, and a 3mill shori wetsuit. And Dive Optx so I can read the gauges. :) Just for fun, I'm going to the local dive shop's "discover SCUBA" tonight.

Oh, and yeah, one of the first things that occurred to me in the PADI course was the similarities of air and power planning.

I did a live aboard on the Utila Aggressor, it was incredible! One of my favorite destinations.

I used to teach (before kids ;-), and was a PADI instructor (still am, but inactive), and SDI/TDI Instructor Trainer. Dove all around the world, but the highlights were definitely Malaysia Sipadan (Asia), Palau (Pacific), and the caves of the Yucatan peninsula (Americas).....
markwj I lived in Guam for 10 years and made over 200 dives in the Micronesian islands. From my perspective nothing can compare to the beauty, serenity, and sheer diversity of sea life found in the waters around Palau. It should be on everyone's dive bucket-list.

markwj I lived in Guam for 10 years and made over 200 dives in the Micronesian islands. From my perspective nothing can compare to the beauty, serenity, and sheer diversity of sea life found in the waters around Palau. It should be on everyone's dive bucket-list.

I spent 6 days diving Palau, and while it was fabulous, I thought the region around Kavieng in eastern Papua New Guinea was even more amazing.

That's a recurring conversation. I believe that people should buy a dive computer, train with it and get used to it. Yes, if you decide that diving isn't for you that wasted money...
Let me make some totally sweeping, invasive and unfounded assumptions... as the owner of a car with a Flux Capacitor I'm assuming that you are in an income bracket where spending a few hundred dollars on a dive computer won't cause you to eat cat food the following month. The dive instructor at the resort, on the other hand, most likely has an annual income below USD25k. He may see the investment differently from the way you or I or many other Tesla owners look at it...

I should add that as someone writing dive log software I have about a dozen dive computers and am rather non-representative of the overall population of divers...

I'll agree with the resort instructor that he should try different dive computers before he buys one. Some of them have better interfaces than others, more conservative dive tables, better looking/slimmer profile and price can vary widely depending upon the features. Good luck finding some whale sharks!

Yeah. One of my favourite dives was to the cave at the bottom of blue hole. Half an hour in there, then a slow drift up to blue corner - hook in for 45 minutes deco amongst that amazing marine life. We could have used Nitrox to reduce the deco obligation, but the deco spot was so amazingly beautiful that we didn't want to get out of the water :)

If anyone is thinking about Palau, I do recommend live aboard. It is quite a boat trip from the resorts to the nice sites, and live aboard gives you much more time with the fish.