Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure Charging is Early?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange thing I noticed: until now, both preconditioning and charging were done about 15 minutes before the Departure time I had set.
Everything is still working fine, but now, the charging seems to start early, to the extend that it finishes an hour+ before the set time.
Could it be that my BMS is out of whack, because I haven't charged to more than 65% SOC for a long time, and even 65% was only once or twice in the last two months? Daily charging is only to 50%.
Preconditioning still finishes ~ 15 mins before the set time.
I am not sure when exactly this started, but it seems like it did with the update to version 2023.38.9.
It's nothing that I am much concerned about, just wondering if others have seen the same. Thanks for listening & responding! 👍🏻

Scheduled Departure charging and preconditioning starting earlier than expected (even though you don't set the time that Scheduled charging starts) may be due to the Tesla systems compensating for colder weather, battery temperatures. Now that we are heading into late fall, early winter charging times may be extended due to requiring battery heating. Preconditioning may take longer too due to lower outside temperatures. It is not unusual for Scheduled Departure charging to complete 15 to 30 minutes earlier than the set departure time.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Scheduled Departure charging and preconditioning starting earlier than expected (even though you don't set the time that Scheduled charging starts) may be due to the Tesla systems compensating for colder weather, battery temperatures. Now that we are heading into late fall, early winter charging times may be extended due to requiring battery heating. Preconditioning may take longer too due to lower outside temperatures. It is not unusual for Scheduled Departure charging to complete 15 to 30 minutes earlier than the set departure time.
Yeah, my charging finishes more than an hour early though now.

You could experiment, move your departure time setting back by 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
Yeah, I did. That works. If I set the departure time like an hour after my actual departure time, it will be done charging right around 10-15 mins before my actual departure time. Weird ... Funny also that it knows from the very start of the charging, as the time to charge limit is accurate.

I thought you said it was 15 minutes early. Now I'm confused. My preconditioning is ready 15 minutes (precisely) early, and always has been.
It's a little confusing, please re-read my original post. Maybe I didn't do a good job explaining.
15 minutes is what it used to be for charging. Now it finishes much earlier, more than an hour before the scheduled time. That's the point of this thread. Was wondering if anybody else sees this ...

Tessie shows the start time for the Scheduled charging just FYI. Nice feature.

Reactions: flixden
I just did a test: I set the charging schedule (departure), but disabled preconditioning. That brought me back to normal, the charging will finish about 15 mins before the set departure / off peak time. Interesting.
Will need to do a few more tests going forth and back between preconditioning and not preconditioning to confirm for sure, but it looks like with preconditioning enabled, charging will finish more than an hour early.

I started using preconditioning fairly recently, with the colder weather kicking in. I guess that's when the early charge behavior started.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe