Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE Rate Plans changing 3/1/19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're going to move everyone over to a new "TOU-D Prime" plan. More info here:

SCE's "Final Decision" Rates, Part 1: Residential Rate Changes

The table shown in that link has different rates than the one shown in SCE's TOU page. Good thing I am grandfathered in for the TOU-D-A. The one on SCE page shows

TOU D 5-8 with 27 cents as overnight rate in winter and super off peak at 16 cent but instead of at night it is in the morning starting at 8am. So the cheapest rate starts when you have to take your car to work.

Right now with TOU-D-A, my solar is selling at 46 cents during the day when I am not home and EV is charging at 12 cents at night.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
The table shown in that link has different rates than the one shown in SCE's TOU page. Good thing I am grandfathered in for the TOU-D-A. The one on SCE page shows

TOU D 5-8 with 27 cents as overnight rate in winter and super off peak at 16 cent but instead of at night it is in the morning starting at 8am. So the cheapest rate starts when you have to take your car to work.

Right now with TOU-D-A, my solar is selling at 46 cents during the day when I am not home and EV is charging at 12 cents at night.

I don't think the 4-9 or 5-8 plans make sense for EV owners like us. The "Prime" plan is only 12.4 cents at night during the winter in exchange for a $12/mo fixed monthly cost adder. Granted I haven't made a spreadsheet yet to doublecheck the overall math but that doesn't seem so bad to me. Am I reading this wrong?

• Informative
I don't think the 4-9 or 5-8 plans make sense for EV owners like us. The "Prime" plan is only 12.4 cents at night during the winter in exchange for a $12/mo fixed monthly cost adder. Granted I haven't made a spreadsheet yet to doublecheck the overall math but that doesn't seem so bad to me. Am I reading this wrong?

If truly the "Prime" is 12.4 cents at night, it would be okay for me even with the time shift of peak hours. But if you look at the same page, it also listed the 4-9 and 5-8 as 15.x cents in the summer and 10 cents in winter. Those are NOT the rates listed on SCE site currently with 4-9 and 5-8 (SCE does not have Prime currently). So I am not sure if Energy ToolBase site info is correct?

Can anyone figure out how the baseline credit on TOU-D-A affects solar generation/is calculated? Trying to figure out if I should switch to TOU-D-B before 3/1, but cant find any info on how bill is calculated.

SCE has also not given me any usage or generation data until a week ago, and no generation data still, because of some issue in their system, so I’m flying blind so to speak. Using 10-15kWh for ev charging makes overnight rate really important.

Can anyone figure out how the baseline credit on TOU-D-A affects solar generation/is calculated? Trying to figure out if I should switch to TOU-D-B before 3/1, but cant find any info on how bill is calculated.

SCE has also not given me any usage or generation data until a week ago, and no generation data still, because of some issue in their system, so I’m flying blind so to speak. Using 10-15kWh for ev charging makes overnight rate really important.

I don't know your case but for me, I picked TOU-D-A over B not because of the baseline credit, but because A got the higher rate (10 cents higher) during my peak solar generation and a very low rate at night. Before I installed solar, I created a spreadsheet to compare TOU-D-A, TOU-D-B, and TOU-D-T. Without considering baseline credit, D-A came up way ahead of D-T and slightly ahead of D-B.

My solar installer kept telling me to do D-T. He was right if I don't charge my EV overnight. But charging overnight with D-A means I only have to generate about 1/3 of the energy during the day to break even of the cost of charging at night.

Reactions: MXLRplus
If your billing period permits word of advice for those with solar, CALL SCE IMMEDIATELY and ask to be in TOU-A. I am in solar industry and we are all having to change the way we do solar, either 120%+ offset or storage unit. South used to be ideal but now with 4-9 west is ideal. With all new homes requiring solar next year, most being built with solar already lots of changes to come, could SCE be a part of the Utility Death Spiral?

I don't see how. Even if all electricity is from residential solar and none from SCE, it should still make a nice profit.

Instead of pouring money to build SCE power plants, it becomes the responsibility of residents.

SCE would take the electricity from residential solar, mark it up and sell it to the rest.

There are legitimate concerns about grid stability with solar power generation controlled by weather and season, not by demand.

That said, I still installed solar on my house and plan to buy powerwall if the grid suffers enough from the glut of solar.

My understanding is that people you can't actually change over to TOU-D-A anymore. The last day was basically January 31st, because the plan change starts on your next billing cycle, and obviously at this point in time, your billing cycle is going to fall after 3/1.

so pretty much anyone with solar gets hosed by the new rate plans.
It looks like anyone with EVs that sleep at night and work (not from home) during the day are also getting hosed, at least according to the TOU-D-4-9PM and TOU-D-5-8PM plans on the SCE website. I'm going off of those since the Energy ToolBase site's values don't match. I'm curious to see what the TOU-D Prime option turns out to be, and really hope it still includes a fair nighttime rate for EVs. Otherwise it will be a bit cheaper to drive a hybrid than EV (I did my calculations assuming 290 Wh/mi, 50mpg, $0.22/kWh, and $3/gallon, comparing my Model S with my Prius), especially considering the $100/year increase in EV registrations for California coming up in 2020.

• Informative