Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salesman gives me EAP, 6 months later, Tesla takes it away via OTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As said earlier. Car was built with EAP, it was purchased from inventory and the OP was invoiced only for AP. He got to enjoy EAP features for free until Tesla trued up. He has exactly what he paid for. There is no haggling for included features at the sales center. There are discounts for inventory and demo cars. Did the op get a discount in addition to an extended use of features he didn’t buy?

As said earlier. Car was built with EAP, it was purchased from inventory and the OP was invoiced only for AP. He got to enjoy EAP features for free until Tesla trued up. He has exactly what he paid for. There is no haggling for included features at the sales center. There are discounts for inventory and demo cars. Did the op get a discount in addition to an extended use of features he didn’t buy?

Not sure where you got the idea the car came with EAP. My car was manufactured 03/19.

As I stated in my first post... the car did NOT have EAP when I drove it home and, since I did not know what EAP was or that it even existed, I never asked for it. Maybe you can give my post another read.

I did try to get them to cut down the high delivery fee of $1200 without a budge on their part. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
And if you didn’t know what it was, how do you know you didn’t have it the first 6 miles?

“When I drove the car home it did was running the premium version of the of the software.” .. grrr.. my constant typo... did = didn't,

I didn't see any of the options on the autopilot section on the MCU. Nothing that said Navigate on Autopilot and no mention of summon or self park that I recall.

On the 25 mile drive home I used TACC and Self Steering. When I had to change lanes and signaled the car did not change lanes. I would turn the wheel knocking it out of self steer to change lanes. I sure of hell would have noticed if the car started changed lanes on it own.

• Informative
So you’re pissed because (1) you got lucky via a mistake on Tesla’s part that resulted in you getting EAP *without paying for it* and (2) Tesla found out rightly took it away? Sorry not sorry.

That is pretty harsh. The salesman apparently pitched it as an incentive for taking delivery before the quarter end. Any car buyer used to buying cars from dealers is going to think that is normal sales tactics. People here report getting freebies from Tesla at quarter end all the time. Free paint, wheels, supercharging, etc.

I would be pissed too if I bought a car and the salesman promised me a discount/freebie for purchasing right now, then reneged on it after the purchase. Obviously the salesman was out of line giving away EAP, but that isn’t the OPs fault.

Last edited:
So you’re pissed because (1) you got lucky via a mistake on Tesla’s part that resulted in you getting EAP *without paying for it* and (2) Tesla found out rightly took it away? Sorry not sorry.

What mistake?

The salesman told me I would get EAP, the change order was placed, the car was reconfigured the day after I took it home via OTA.

That is pretty harsh. The salesman apparently pitched it as an incentive for taking delivery before the quarter end. Any car buyer used to buying cars from dealers is going to think that is normal sales tactics. People here report getting freebies from Tesla at quarter end all the time. Free paint, wheels, supercharging, etc.

I would be pissed too if I bought a car and the salesman promised me a discount/freebie for purchasing right now, then reneged on it after the purchase. Obviously the salesman was out of line giving away EAP, but that isn’t the OPs fault.

Thanks for the reply. You are close....

I was already going to place the order and pick up the car. He never mentioned the other features (EAP) until after I checked the box for AP. I assumed at the time it was more of a reward for taking delivery on the crucial last 2 days of the quarter.

And yeah.. I thought it was harsh as well. I am trying to keep this whole discussion on an even keel.

I am also doubt I was the only one receiving EAP. I am hoping that others that got the same "reward" from the Dania Beach, FL store on that weekend will come forward.

• Funny
I think they gave you FSD. Then Tesla (corporate) noticed you didn't pay for FSD and removed it. EAP wasn't a valid config option for SR Models (or LR Models after 3/1/2019).

If they did give you EAP (and not FSD), then it would stand to reason the above would still apply. No SR Model should of had it, which would make your vehicle having it stand out.

Note: this is not excusing their removal

Tesla does not have any dealers. Everyone you interact with is employed by Tesla Motors, Inc. No local salesperson nor manager can enable an unpaid software feature on a Tesla. It is all controlled by corporate out of Fremont.

And we still don't know what if anything was really added to the car. EAP would have included summon, lane change and eventually navigate on autopilot. But the OP doesn't mention any of those features specifically so we are only guessing what he is referring to.
...but it was confirmed to have EAP, that's why he received an email FROM CORPORATE to upgrade to FSD based on his vehicle having it. Secondly, your argument would also imply that all decisions and judgments at the SC level would all be the same, they're not hence why tons of users here will advise someone to take their vehicle to another SC if one is not being helpful or refusing to do work. On top of all that the OP stated "...I called my dealer where I was told I don't have EAP I only have AP. I told them, no, I do have EAP and the guy checked it out and found my car had been configured with EAP. He told me I would have to contact the main customer service." So if everyone works for Tesla Motors, Inc. then there is no way that multiple people are checking the same corporate system and coming back with different answers, right?

...but it was confirmed to have EAP, that's why he received an email FROM CORPORATE to upgrade to FSD based on his vehicle having it. Secondly, your argument would also imply that all decisions and judgments at the SC level would all be the same, they're not hence why tons of users here will advise someone to take their vehicle to another SC if one is not being helpful or refusing to do work. On top of all that the OP stated "...I called my dealer where I was told I don't have EAP I only have AP. I told them, no, I do have EAP and the guy checked it out and found my car had been configured with EAP. He told me I would have to contact the main customer service." So if everyone works for Tesla Motors, Inc. then there is no way that multiple people are checking the same corporate system and coming back with different answers, right?

Virtually everything Tesla reps say is just flat out wrong. I would never count on anything verbal from any rep without getting in writing in a legally binding agreement. And it’s been proven over and over again that when they tell you something that is wrong and you make a purchase decision based on it, the company does not stand behind its employees and honor their promises. It’s not a good way to do business, but it is what it is. You have to be willing to tolerate their lack of business maturity if you want to drive their cars.

This forum is filled with posts about things a Tesla rep promised that turned out to be incorrect. If people relied more on the collective wisdom of the forum members than the crazy stuff they hear from Tesla employees we would have half the number of threads currently in the forum.

Crappy situation for the OP no doubt.

What to make sure I have the facts clear though (for the benefit of others who maybe are in similar situations)
You paid for AP but were given EAP by a generous salesperson at Telsa.

You had EAP and then months later brought this to Telsa corporate's attention. Corporate realized you should only have AP and not EAP so stripped your car of EAP?

Lesson for others is ... if you get something extra best to keep one's mouth shut
It sounds like in your case it was because you wanted to pay Telsa more for FSD ; though is that not done through the App?
Guess unclear why the phone calls on your end ever started?

And the fact they can change the configuration of our car after it was delivered, which I am not sure if that is even legal.

If you didn't pay for it, you don't have it listed on your Monroney or MVPA, and have nothing official in writing stating you are entitled to it, then what on what basis or specific law do you conclude removing it would not be legal?

If the cable company noticed they forgot to put a filter on your line blocking all the premium channels for 6 months, and then they added the filter, you don't have the basis of a lawsuit.

(even if the cable guy who installed your cable did you a favor leaving the filter out the first time- to make the analogy a bit more applicable)

The concept of a car having features enabled or disabled via software is very new, and people are having a hard time grasping the concept of it as it relates to automobiles.

If I drove my car home with 19” wheels when my purchase agreement only called for 18” wheels, the dealer would be hard pressed to try and charge me more money for the upgraded wheels, or ask me to swap them out. They were physically installed on the car when I took delivery so I would argue that I am entitled to them.

In fact, that’s exactly what happened to me when I purchased my Model 3. I was offered an upgrade to 19” wheels on my Model 3 but they forgot to order them so they sent me home with the 18’s. The advisor told me that since they are physically on my car when I took delivery they are mine to keep and I ended up keeping them and getting the 19” wheels and tires a month later.

Anyways, with features being enabled through software things get murkier. Tesla looks at the feature as being licensed, and if you did not pay the license fee you don’t get to keep the feature, even if it was enabled on your drive home from the delivery center. This is an entirely new concept for automobiles.

Reactions: evannole
Virtually everything Tesla reps say is just flat out wrong. I would never count on anything verbal from any rep without getting in writing in a legally binding agreement. And it’s been proven over and over again that when they tell you something that is wrong and you make a purchase decision based on it, the company does not stand behind its employees and honor their promises. It’s not a good way to do business, but it is what it is. You have to be willing to tolerate their lack of business maturity if you want to drive their cars.

This forum is filled with posts about things a Tesla rep promised that turned out to be incorrect. If people relied more on the collective wisdom of the forum members than the crazy stuff they hear from Tesla employees we would have half the number of threads currently in the forum.
While this is 100% true, Tesla should be aware that this is their problem, and stick by what their employees say while working behind the scenes to ensure that customers are given accurate information. Obviously some people will lie and cheat to get any freebie they can, but in this scenario it had to have been an employee who changed the configuration (assuming this is what really happened) so a little flexibility can go a long way. I would hate for Tesla to lose future sales over something so trivial.

While this is 100% true, Tesla should be aware that this is their problem, and stick by what their employees say while working behind the scenes to ensure that customers are given accurate information. Obviously some people will lie and cheat to get any freebie they can, but in this scenario it had to have been an employee who changed the configuration (assuming this is what really happened) so a little flexibility can go a long way. I would hate for Tesla to lose future sales over something so trivial.

I agree completely. But Tesla has never operated this way. As I said, the company is very immature in the way it runs its business. It always has been. And until they have some serious competition to threaten them, I don’t see it changing much.