Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY Knob (initial impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the front install, and I have a 2021 M3 with the Intel Atom. I think that connector goes back a fair bit (2019-ish? Don't quote me on that)
Maybe it's a RHD problem, but when I installed a TopFit speedo unit in my 2019 Model 3, it was the devil's own job getting access to the connector in the footwell. Access is almost impossible - I ended up laying down, face up, on the passenger seat (left side remember) with my legs over the backrest. Then trying to manipulate the Y cable into about an inch of space between the computer and the central bulkhead. It was a right PITA; I had to lay down for an hour afterwards to recover!

Reactions: zoomer0056
This looks cool, but I just don’t like aftermarket accessories with a few exceptions. They always feel a bit like an afterthought and never really blend in well. This isn’t specific to Tesla.

This is just personal preference. Not to take away from this gadget. It looks great.

This looks cool, but I just don’t like aftermarket accessories with a few exceptions. They always feel a bit like an afterthought and never really blend in well. This isn’t specific to Tesla.

This is just personal preference. Not to take away from this gadget. It looks great.
Aftermarket parts are after thoughts for sure. The look of the knob is nice but I can not comment on the feel.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Maybe it's a RHD problem, but when I installed a TopFit speedo unit in my 2019 Model 3, it was the devil's own job getting access to the connector in the footwell. Access is almost impossible - I ended up laying down, face up, on the passenger seat (left side remember) with my legs over the backrest. Then trying to manipulate the Y cable into about an inch of space between the computer and the central bulkhead. It was a right PITA; I had to lay down for an hour afterwards to recover!
That’s disappointing. Wonder if it will be the same for the highland when it ships in May

The wiring harness that's provided HAS pass-through functionality, so I was able to easily keep the Teslogic device plugged in (which is good, because the dash functionality isn't done yet, by a long shot)

I wonder if the harness also has pass-through functionality if i just order a v2 Commander? I have no real need or desire for the knob, but would love to get the Continuous Autopilot feature, and would like to keep my Teslogic Dash.

I wonder if the harness also has pass-through functionality if i just order a v2 Commander? I have no real need or desire for the knob, but would love to get the Continuous Autopilot feature, and would like to keep my Teslogic Dash.
I wired both the Teslogic display and a S3XY Knob up to the front passenger port. It worked just fine. The commander 2 is the primary and the Teslogic was wired as a pass through.

This video really helped with the installation.

I've just completed S3XY Knob installation in my 2021 MY Intel Atom car, so I can confidently address your concern.

I too have one of the numerous aftermarket displays that provide a readout on the steering column or dash mount. I think mine is the same as yours, the "Carda" branded dual-round display aka "Mickey Mouse ears". TopFit is one of the vendors but there have been several others; I bought mine from EVoffer.com before I had even received the car in Fall 2021.

This supplemental display, along with several competitors in the 2021/22 years, connect directly to the autopilot computer. Yes the connector is way up under the dash on the right hand side, and yes it's a real chore to get the original connector off, attach the pass-through harness and reconnect it to the autopilot computer. Almost everyone gets it done eventually but goes through 10 to 30 minutes of minor hell, thinking that they won't get it done!

(The YouTube channel by Shiva Sapkota has many reviews of such displays, and the installation portions are all fairly similar in dealing with this harness connection. It seems that later products, and/or installations in later AMD Ryzen cars, have migrated to the somewhat easier installation behind the door pillar trim. A few use wireless data and can connect behind the panel at the rear of the central console, like the S3XY "Basic" installation.)​

In any case, I'm happy to report that you do not need to access the difficult autopilot computer connector in order to accomplish the S3XY Commander front = "Advanced" installation. My 2021 MY/Intel car has all the needed connecrors to mate with the front-installation harness supplied with my S3XY knob, but positioned slightly different from the AMD setup.

I wrote up a summary of the installation steps, gleaned from various videos. That's in my next message.

As mentioned in my prior post, and with encouragement from @kilpatds , I completed the Commander front installation in my 2021 Model Y Intel Atom car. After viewing several videos for S3XY, Teslogic and other products, I think it's worth recording the step-by-step details that pertained to my car, a little different than most of the videos I found online:
  • I recommend you put down some towels or foam on the ground just outside the right front door, to cushion your knees as you work.
  • It's a good idea to open doors and windows, and then power down the car from the Safety menu.
  • Pull away the rubber door seal adjacent to the dash, and continue down to the floor and back along the door sill.
  • Unsnap the top end of the short vertical panel located on the pillar just to the right of the dash bulkhead and lift the panel up to free it.
  • There is a large stiff plastic L-shaped trim piece that runs down to the floor and along the sill, just next to the door seal you just loosened.
    • Use the plastic pry tool to pop out the head of the plastic push-rivet that secures the top end of th L-shaped trim. Pull out the rivet and save it for re-installation.
    • Carefully pull the trim piece off the pillar and up away from the door sill; there are only three or four clips to free up. It's easier if you remove this completely, but if you prefer you can try leaving the last one or two clips in place towards the back of the door sill.
  • In my car, there was one more plastic push rivet to remove, that secures a tab of the footwell carpeting lower down on the door pillar. You will need to remove this rivet also to get access to the OBD connector that is somewhat buried in the Intel Atom cars.
  • Gently pull back the vertical carpeted kick panel at the left (inside) face of the A-pillar. Look down and back, between the kick panel and the metal pillar (a flashlight helps). You will see the open port of the blue OBD connector attached there. I believe that in the later Ryzen cars, this blue connector is used and connected in the car wiring (not open), and is attached more accessibly to the door-edge face instead of the inside face of the pillar.
    Here is a picture:
    1000008797.jpg

• Don't get confused if you watch videos that show this blue connector needing to be separated before installing the accessory harness. In my Intel atom MY, the blue connector is open. So the male connector on the S3XY harness will plug in to this blue connector, and then the associated white female connector will remain unconnected - until and unless you attach yet another accessory someday.
    • Look carefully at the mating plug to get things lined up, so that you can reach down into this recessed area to click in the plug in the correct orientation. Tuck the matching unconnected socket of the harness into the recess above the blue connector, to keep it out of the way when you put everything back together. Keep the other three connectors ( two medium sized white power connectors and the small black Commander plug) out and available for the next steps.
  • The two white power connectors are inserted in-between the original mated white connectors at the very bottom of the door pillar. To separate the original connectors, feel for the release tab with the tip of your finger; there's a crescent-shaped cutout on the left (inner) side where you can press your fingertip to release the tab and separate the connectors rather easily.
    • Connect the two white accessory power connectors in-line between these two original connectors and snap them in place. Tuck the loose upper set out of the way as before.
  • The last remaining connection is the small black plug at the end of the remaining cable harness section. Snap the plug into your Commander unit and again find a suitable location to tuck the cable and Commander out of the way behind the carpeted panel.
  • If you like, you could make tags or labels for these extra connectors on the harness, so you or a future owner or technician can be reminded of what they are!
  • If you are new to the app as I was, note that information and settings for the Knob and the Commander are found below the main app display. On my Fold5 phone I don't see those sections at all unless I swipe up on the screen to reveal the bottom portion. This may not be an issue on a normal tall/narrow vertical screen phone.
    • Once I found these sections, I was able to proceed with the Bluetooth connection, settings and firmware updates for the Knob and the Commander.
    • For me, the Knob is up and running with the Commander, both are software updated and mostly things are working. I still seem to have an issue with temperature (and perhaps other HVAC settings) showing properly. This was listed as a known issue, addressed by firmware updates, but still doesn't seem to be working quite right.
      • I don't believe this has anything to do with the front vs. rear installation but I won't know for sure until it's completely solved.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: FatM3 and Tiger
What are the pros and cons of installing in the front vs in the back of the centre arm rest?
Quoting from my first post in this thread:
I would rather do the "advanced" front installation if I can because
  • I don't want to occupy and clutter up the already crowded connector situation behind the console.
  • I don't really want the Commander+cable hanging out under the seat and rear footwell area.
  • Enhance says the front installation will enable more advanced features in the future.
See also my reply to you above, to address the concern regarding the dreaded autopilot computer plug (not used in this case).

Adding my 2 cents after I installed last weekend
It fits so flush into the storage area. Initially it wouldn't fit at all as if slightly too large for the gap so needed hard push down.
Still able to access the storage area but drinks holder with drinks seems to obscure the view of the knob.

Controling - was still trying to get use to the menu/buttons - sometimes going back a menu seems tricky.

The new firmware has option Autopilot - handson which is meant to get rid of the nag - doesn't seem to work in UK at least. It does say US only.
Anyone got that working at all?

Great posts which I will follow when my Knob shows itself.

How long was the install and are you “vehicle” minded?
For the rear install - the hardest part for me was getting the rear cover off without scratching it. Remember to move both seats as forward as you can to give max access. Allow 10-15 minutes I would say excluding firmware upgrades of knob and controller

Side door install looks bit more of mission from the Youtube

Great posts which I will follow when my Knob shows itself.

How long was the install and are you “vehicle” minded?
I wasn't sure so I looked at my doorbell camera clips which recorded my activities. Also, I was deliberately taking it easy, no rush.

All told it took me about 90 minutes, but if I were to do it over today I could do the physical installation in 10 minutes, less if under pressure. Software connect and update would be 5 to 10 minutes.

If by "vehicle minded" you mean do I work on cars? Yes I have many old cars and I've done all kinds of work on them. But I've always experienced the issue that it takes much, much longer to do a job the first time. Figure everything out, go find the tools you need, puzzle over it. Subsequent repetitions are far faster and easier, until the learning fades from memory.