Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD in the Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's unfortunate that various DOT's don't recognize how good a 2WD vehicle like the Model 3 can be in the winter nasties with decent winter tires mounted. I've driven AWD's that handled terribly in the snow even though they had winter tires. The problem wasn't the tires, it was the handling of the vehicle and the traction control.
They were discussing CA DOT (Tahoe from the west). And they allow 2wd with snow tires in all controls, only need to put chains on a 2wd without snow tires. The other side (NV) don’t have any controls.

They were discussing CA DOT (Tahoe from the west). And they allow 2wd with snow tires in all controls, only need to put chains on a 2wd without snow tires. The other side (NV) don’t have any controls.

"In all controls"? Do you mean in all conditions? Reading the way CA DOT rules have been described in other threads, I thought there were conditions in which ALL 2WD vehicles were required to have chains.

"In all controls"? Do you mean in all conditions? Reading the way CA DOT rules have been described in other threads, I thought there were conditions in which ALL 2WD vehicles were required to have chains.

I think you are right, and sadly CA does not recognize mountain snowflake symbol tires as a separate category from all season M+S AFAIK. (Would probably make sense in R2 to allow 2WD with real snow tires (not just M+S) to go without chains - but no such luck.). Oregon I know allows proper traction tires (mountain snowflake) in place of chains on 2WD vehicles in most conditions except “conditional road closures.” But not California.

Tire and Chains

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
I think you are right, and sadly CA does not recognize mountain snowflake symbol tires as a separate category from all season M+S AFAIK. (Would probably make sense in R2 to allow 2WD with real snow tires (not just M+S) to go without chains - but no such luck.). Oregon I know allows proper traction tires (mountain snowflake) in place of chains on 2WD vehicles in most conditions except “conditional road closures.” But not California.

Tire and Chains
Looks like they made some changes. I left Tahoe for good in 2001. R2 used to allow 2WD with dedicated snow tires or 2WD with chains on the drive axel. Also R3 used to read local fraffic only.

So far my car has been amazing in the snow with the Nokians. I’ve been through a few storms with the largest being about 6 inches on the ground before I was able to finally get home. The only time the car got loose was when I wanted it to. :)

The traction control is very good. It might be better than the TC in my old Audi.

Once the tires wear out, I may consider the winter performance tires instead of snow tires. I’ve grown to like the Nokians but they are not fun in the dry at high speeds.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I live in Chicago and have put about 8,250 miles on my LR RWD Model 3 since taking delivery in mid-November.

This includes roundtrip to Atlanta driving through the hills/mountains in southern Tennessee and more notably roundtrip to Breckenridge.

My drive to Breckenridge was through a blizzard where the highway was ultimately closed in the opposing direction upon my arrival in Silverthorne. In the future I plan on making this trip with snow tires, but this time around I was confident in the performance of my brand new all seasons. I did not really slip or slide, although I was not driving very fast due to poor visibility - at times I could not see much further than my hood. I made the drive straight through from Chicago arriving in Breckenridge at 8AM, so much of this driving was through the night. Kudos to the traction control, gross vehicle weight, and weight distribution for getting me there and back safely.

Most people will be fine with RWD unless they live in an area that receives consistent snow or have a very steep driveway. I enjoyed my driving and will be going back next year!

we went to Yosemite with my LR RWD, with Vredestein Quatrac (has mountain snowflake symbol). Don't even need the chain and it's gripping much better than my friend's Honda Accord. Tho ended up having to put on the chain once we enter the park because we were forced to by the rangers.

RWD is the more fun to drive for sure.. besides P3D with track mode.

Yep or don’t need AWD/4WD in the winter. There was a AK DOT survey a few years back that estimated About 2/3 of the vehicles registered an Alaska are 2WD. Now that said my personal preference regardless of conditions is AWD, I haven’t owned a 2wd since I sold the GT3 in 2005 and I don’t think I’ll own another 2wd ever.