Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, it's generally accepted that Chiang Kai-shek's autocratic behavior and ruthlessness towards his own people was a big contributing factor in how Mao Zedong was able to gain the popular support he did. The Communists in China were substantially the underdogs as Chiang Kai-shek had all the support of the Allies behind him and weapons and equipment supplied by the Allies. But we all know how history went.

If you want to see Chiang Kai-shek, there's a large memorial to him standing in Taipei that is designed and built to look like the Lincoln Memorial. How ironic, since Chiang Kai-shek lost that civil war, China was never reunified, and the Communists hold the mainland to this very day.

• Informative
Reactions: LightngMcQueen
You can only leave if you’re financially able to do so, most Russians can’t afford to and believe the Western world hates them too. They’re fed a steady drip of ”the whole world hates us” misinformation by the Russian state media. Prior to my wife coming over her grandma told her she would be brought over by me, locked in the cellar and used as a sex slave for all my mates🤦🏼‍♂️ . This is genuinely what her grandma believe. During Covid Russians were told their vaccine was the first to be successful too (when it was at least a year behind most of the West).
They genuinely believe all this as in effect they have been brainwashed for years!

Really does sound like the old Soviet Union...

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
You would head to Nur-Sultan, Kazahkstan (obviously). It's about 1,350 km by train.

Then Tehran, or whereever you've got family / support.
You could but there’s
a/ not that many trains
b/ leaving what you know behind
c/ price of a train ticket St Petersburgh to Helsinki went from €350 to €7k before they all sold out. Same would happen anywhere.
d/ average wage isn’t high enough to afford it anyway. The normal prices are effectively a years savings (if they have any) to a normal income.
e/ the railways are highly policed as are the borders. I did read recently someone’s experience of the St Peterburgh trip, he had fortunately cleared all chat out of his phone on all platforms. The border guards still spent an hour going through it whilst questioning him for his reasons for travelling.
f/ if they spotted an increase in travel they’d just stop the trains too.

Really does sound like the old Soviet Union...
Not quite but the state does pretty much control all the important stuff. It’s definitely a case of the “haves” haves a lot (& want to keep it) the “have nots” have very little but are apathetic.
Wife’s grandma has a flat on the 10th floor (lift is broken most the time), she also has an allotment for growing veggies etc (think smallholding rather than UK allotment it has a 2 bed wooden shack on it) both provided by the state for being a good worker during USSR days. Her pension is the equivalent of £90 ……..per month, food prices pre sanctions were not that far removed from UK prices. The bulk of her meals are made up of what she grows on the allotment.
IF she protested she would lose her home, her allotment and probably her freedom, which would put her husband (he’s disabled) on the streets too. Thing is, if you know nothing else then why would you rock the boat? She’s better off than a lot of others are over there, obviously not as well off as a fair number too.

See this twitter thread below, if it is in any way accurate it strengthens my belief that Russians will gladly take a semi-reasonable deal with both hands.

Summary :-
  • The Russians only did slap-dash analysis on this scenario as they didn't think it was serious.
  • Nearly everyone was surprised by the invasion decision.
  • No single person pushes the red button.
  • They don't have a good replacement for Zelensky
  • If we don't occupy the replacement government will be overthrown in 10 minutes, 500,000 personal required to occupy.
  • They have lost contact with major divisions and don't know how many troops have died.
I now think the plane swap deal isn't a major risk, if this reported leak is true, US intelligence probably already knows all this, and more.

I think Ukraine wants to planes to help break sieges of cities, earlier or prevent them happening,

If the Russians agree to not bombard residential areas, no planes are needed.

If there is a ceasefire and on going negotiations, no planes are needed,

Logic suggests a deal is coming, because the problems with the invasion are major, The chance of a successful occupation close to zero, The chances of the Russian economy / society surviving long under the weight of sanctions zero...

Something for the Donbass region might allow Putin to spin the campaign as a success, at least to the domestic public.
The whole world knows the truth, but this might be enough to save face...

Putin is bluffing with a very poor poker hand, many in Russia know how bad their hand is. Hopefully common-sense will prevail.

If true this also confirms my suspicion that Syria might be the next domino to fall, hopefully that happens, and they get a decent government, long overdue.

It looks to me like technology advancement has made large/expensive WWII style war machines obsolete. Billions of dollars of tanks/fighters can be reliably taken out by a few hundred million dollars of munitions.

We just wasted about $1.25T on the F-35 program when $100B in drones would have been more effective.

This is all pretty delightful. Humans can't really war with each other for territory anymore. You either waste a ton of money and don't get anywhere, or you gotta use nukes or other psycho-extreme measures. How wonderful!

Accelerating the transition to renewables based sustainability, along with economic sanctions, is the clear path.

The weak link in using drones is it's only a matter of time until somebody figures out how to jam the ground link the drones use. The Iranians captured a US recon drone by jamming it. I think the US figured out how to counter that hack, but there will be more.

A manned fighter can operate separate from ground control if the pilot is trained correctly (which is standard in the west).

To add on to my own post -

I think it's very clear now that occupation of Ukraine by Russia is impossible, and I think even Putin knows that. If the US, with it's huge military budget was willing to give up on Afghanistan, there is no way Russia is going to be even remotely capable of occupying a country the size of Texas with 44 million civilians who are clearly going to fight them non-stop under occupation.

Hence why I'm starting to think Putin's plan has resorted to bomb Ukraine and essentially level it, claim that Russian has "neutralized" the Ukranian threat to the Russian people, and move his forces out of Ukraine.

I was thinking today that Putin may have assumed the damage to American stability from Afghanistan as it was after Russia pulled out of Afghanistan. He underestimated how good Americans are at forgetting.

Putin probably is looking for an escape clause, but his criteria going in was so high that the Ukrainians are never going to agree. The Russians are insisting the only way they are going to leave is if the Ukrainians are essentially left helpless the next time he invades. Ukraine knows that while they are taking severe damage, the longer they hold out, the harder the crash Russia is going to take. Russia's losing their military here.

The loss in Afghanistan for the US was financial and a hit to US pride, but the US military is not broken. The way this war is going, a large chunk of the Russian military will be a completely spent force in another week or two. A spent force is useless for any military activity, it's shattered in manpower, equipment, and morale.

The Ukrainians know this. Hold out and Russia will collapse militarily. Then they can get what they want at the negotiation table.

My partner can't find it now, but somebody took a picture of flat bed rail cars in probably Russia with civilian cars and vans with the Z symbol painted on them. The Russians have been using the 'Z' symbol to indicate their regular army forces in the north. Marines use 'V' and the southern forces often use 'O'. It might appear that the war is going so badly for the Russians they are pressing civilian cars into use. She can't find it now.

Russia has had their first labor strike starting today over conditions brought on by the war. There will be more, and the young people who are more connected to the outside world and have never believed Putin's BS will join them. If the army is flat on its back, what happens when the protests get too violent for the police to control and there is no army left to back them up? That's how civil wars or regime changes start.

The Syrian civil war started over protests about the high price of grain in the Arab Spring. The conditions in Russia are looking at least an order of magnitude more volatile. The economic disruption goes beyond the food supply to everything. Russia is cut off from the rest of the world and there are many staples they don't make anymore. And without any money, they can't set up production of those staples.

On top of that the bulk of the military is getting eaten up in a foreign war and is unavailable to back up the police at home. Even if Russia pulls out of the war, the military will not have the ability to back up the police and considering how badly this war went, a significant number would probably join the protesters.

Something my partner read last night reminded me that over the last 120 years the Russian society has destabilized whenever a war went badly:
1) 1906 - loss of the Russo-Japanese war triggered a peasant uprising that was barely put down.
2) 1917 - losses in WW I triggered a troop revolt that became the Russian Revolution
3) 1989 - the failure in Afghanistan contributed to the fall of the USSR. There was an attempted coup right around the time they pulled out.
4) 2022 - ?

My money is on the Navalny faction. They are the younger generation and Russia's future.

Do you have any thoughts on how to stop this without inciting a greater response? Is there a point where the cost for Putin is greater than the reward?

It's pretty obvious that Putin is not thinking straight. I don't know if he's on medication, went kind of nuts during COVID, sick, or what, but he's not his normal calculating self.

If there is significant disruption at home with essentially riots the police can't control, he might conclude that the only thing to do is to pull the army out and put them on the streets of Russian cities. At that point he might agree to virtually anything to get disentangled. On the other hand with his instability he might pull his troops out and nuke Ukraine until it glows to try and deal with his own problems at home without the Ukraine "threat" looming.

Though again I think that would be a miscalculation. His troops will be in bad physical shape and after the disaster of this war, they might end up on the other side.

In 2 weeks the economy collapses. What they do then is a good question and who knows. They had 500 billion in foreign reserves with much of that in gold and much of that in Switzerland which is no unobtainable. If they had been wise they could have brought that back to Russia prior to invasion. They could have given oligarchs time to really move to bitcoin. Going to be interesting now. I could see Russia moving entirely to bitcoin or some other virtual currency.

Authoritarians had crypto currency because it's tough to track. That's the main reason China banned it, though the drain on the electrical gird for mining Bitcoin was a factor too.

Crypto is ultimately the ultimate libertarian currency. That's the opposite end of the spectrum from what an authoritarian wants.

This is a bit misleading. While the tanks may be easily taken out, there are no verified reports that fighters in this conflict have been taken out by Stingers or similar inexpensive weapons. Most likely those were taken out by other AA or Ukraine's own fighters. The fighters can easily avoid Stingers by flying higher.

This is misleading also. While drones are useful in certain contexts, they don't stand a chance against even 4 gen fighters (or even perhaps older ones) when going head to head. Drone development has not reached a point yet where they can replace fighters, and if you made drones with the same capabilities as fighters, they would likely cost just as much, if not more.

I thought the fixed wing aircraft were going to go to higher altitude to avoid the MANPADS, but instead the Russians have kept them below 1000 ft to avoid radar. Hitting a jet with a MANPAD is tough, but below 1000 ft they are vulnerable. If someone has a MANPAD ready to go and a jet appears close by, the operator only has to aim in the general direction of the jet and pull the trigger, the heat seeking mechanism does the rest.

Modern fighter make use of flares to confuse heat seeking weapons, but there is a limited supply on board and they can't just spray them constantly while in enemy airspace. If the plane is at altitude, they can detect the missile coming and have time to launch flares, but at low altitude they don't have any time to get warning.

The increase in shoot downs Saturday may have been because the Russians are sending more air missions (sorties) into Ukraine. More sorties means more opportunity to get shot down. The west has provided so many MANPADS now that it has de facto created a no fly zone.

The Russians may be sending more air sorties in because they are running out of rocket artillery ammunition. The Russians may not have had much supply at the beginning of the war and now lack the ability to make more.

Some promising developments:-

I still think it is possible to negotiate a deal both sides can live with.

It if all about where lines are drawn on maps, and the percentage split of any gas royalties.

The rebel areas where Putin's justification, and they seem to be the more effective and mostly highly motivated fighters on the Russian side.
10-15 years down the track with Ukraine making good economic progress as part of the EU, they may decide they want to re-join Ukraine.

In terms of regime change in Russia, none of the Russian soldiers will be happy about being sent to this war, the Russian public will not be happy especially when they have more of the facts. Even if all sanctions were dropped today, the economic impact on Russia will last for decades. many Western businesses will not come back, the EU will move away from Russian gas ASAP,. Whether Putin survives the next 1-2 years, makes little difference, his place in history is secure.

After a negotiated peace Russia will be no threat to Ukraine, and definitely no threat to NATO, however their nukes of all kinds remain a threat, that is why a deal is a good outcome.

The two sides are very, very far from any kind of deal. The Russians want Ukraine to be completely demilitarized and want them to decommission all their nuclear power reactors. Whether it's just Russian spin or Putin really is paranoid, but the talk in Russian media is that the Ukrainians had a nuclear weapons program and at minimum they were planning on making dirty bombs to set off in Russia.

The Ukrainians want their territory in Crimea and Donbas back.

China is playing the long game, also remember Mao's adage "when weak, talk big, when strong just act". These days China is strong, so no need for aggressive talk* w/o action. My take is China could decide any moment to take over Taiwan, but it's not in her interest now, economic price would be too great re multiple tech agreements etc. China is only shaking her fists to assert her displeasure at the faction in power in Taiwan now, which wants "independence" rather than the previous well understood quid pro quo of the ultimate One China.

(*) For example, China isn't hesitating to take control of the South China Sea, nobody is really standing up to her.

BTW My guess is that the "independence/ separatist" movement is really funded by some external troublemakers (the CIA used to do that, BTW, toppling governments to install more pro US governments .. with rather poor success .. Iran, Vietnam, Peru, etc etc see Confessions of an economic hitman )

All IMHO of course, and I may be completely wrong

China has a major weakness though. They are much more tied into the global economy than Russia ever was. The damage to their economy from the sorts of sanctions Russia is facing would crash China's economy very fast. And the Chinese have been basically mollifying the population for 30 years by keeping up constant economic growth. Basically the social agreement is, leave all the governing decisions to us and you can have an ever increasing standard of living.

In the last couple of years there has been a lot of talk in China about the withdrawal of the Mandate of Heaven. The Mandate of Heaven is a meme in Chinese politics that goes back a couple of thousands of years. Basically it's that the gods show favor on the people when they approve of the leadership and times are good. When natural disasters, economic problems, pandemic, and social unrest hit the country, the gods have withdrawn the Mandate of Heaven and there are rumblings about regime change. China was hit with some severe flooding two years ago, along with COVID and unrest in Hong Kong. An economic crash caused by international sanctions would probably push the populous over the edge.

I may have some details about the Mandate of Heaven wrong. I am coming at this as an outsider, but that's my understanding of it.

In any case, the Chinese are probably looking at this situation figuring Taiwan is going to remain a long term goal.

Today, it's generally accepted that Chiang Kai-shek's autocratic behavior and ruthlessness towards his own people was a big contributing factor in how Mao Zedong was able to gain the popular support he did.
It is true that if Chiang was not so ruthless, there would have been a possiblity the CCP could have coexisted with the KMT before WW2 (as the founder of the ROC tried to facilitate), but alas, that didn't happen.
Chiang actually was very close to completely winning the civil war and eliminating the CCP before the war with Japan (before then popular support for CCP was not strong). WW2 drained the KMT government of its military strength, and the impact of the war in terms of loss of population/economy led to hyperinflation, added with corruption in the government led to it losing a lot of popular support. After WW2, neither side trusted each other.
There is evidence Mao collaborated with the Japanese to drag on the war and wear down KMT forces.
Truth of Mao Zedong’s Collusion with the Japanese Army (1)
The Communists in China were substantially the underdogs as Chiang Kai-shek had all the support of the Allies behind him and weapons and equipment supplied by the Allies. But we all know how history went.
That's not quite how things turned out after the WW2. Although initially the CCP didn't get support from the Soviet Union (while Chiang did from the US), the turning point was when the Soviet Union handed the weapons they captured from Japan to the CCP. That made the two sides evenly matched in terms of equipment.
More details on how the CCP came into power here:
Chinese Communist Revolution - Wikipedia
Spies also played a huge role, as the CCP had spies at the highest levels of Chiang's government, allowing them access to top secret documents, for example Xianghui Xiong, who played a critical role in preventing the CCP leadership from being eliminated in 1947:
Xiong Xianghui - Wikipedia

Some other tidbits in the news.

The Ukrainians charged one of the peace negotiators Denys Kireev with treason for giving information to the Russians based on info fed to them by the Russian FSB. The FSB is leaking like a sieve. When authoritarians go bad, their underlings start leaking. He was executed.

It looks like the Russians pulled out of Kherson. The civilians were recorded walking up to the invading troops with their arms spread and the troops were retreating because they didn't want to shoot them.

In another city the Russians took they tried to do a photo op for the media back home by providing food for the locals. The locals just stood around and yelled at them.

I can't find it now, but it looks like the Russians also pulled out of one of the cities they held in the Donbas. The locals there were mildly pro-Russia before the war, but the invasion switched them hard for Ukraine. Remember just because somebody speaks Russian doesn't mean they are pro-Russia anymore than an Irish person speaking English makes them pro-English.

The Russian troop presence in the part of Donbas they held before the war is probably fairly thin, especially with the troop demands everywhere. The Russians were struggling in the south the first week of the war, but managed to pick up the pace the last week, that may have been due to a transfer of troops from Donbas. Now that the Donbas people are beginning to rebel, their choice is to pull out or get slaughtered in an insurgency campaign.

The Russians have also started using the OTR-21 Tochka which is an obsolete missile system that was in the process of being retired. Westerners have assumed Russia went into this war with about 500 modern short range rockets and they have probably used them up, so they are now using their obsolete inventory.

Here is the post about the train carrying civilian vehicles into the war

Those vehicles have the Russian military ID on them, the 'Z'. That's desperation.

Last edited:
Some other tidbits in the news.

The Ukrainians charged one of the peace negotiators Denys Kireev with treason for giving information to the Russians based on info fed to them by the Russian FSB. The FSB is leaking like a sieve. When authoritarians go bad, their underlings start leaking. He was executed.

It looks like the Russians pulled out of Kherson. The civilians were recorded walking up to the invading troops with their arms spread and the troops were retreating because they didn't want to shoot them.

In another city the Russians took they tried to do a photo op for the media back home by providing food for the locals. The locals just stood around and yelled at them.

I can't find it now, but it looks like the Russians also pulled out of one of the cities they held in the Donbas. The locals there were mildly pro-Russia before the war, but the invasion switched them hard for Ukraine. Remember just because somebody speaks Russian doesn't mean they are pro-Russia anymore than an Irish person speaking English makes them pro-English.

The Russian troop presence in the part of Donbas they held before the war is probably fairly thin, especially with the troop demands everywhere. The Russians were struggling in the south the first week of the war, but managed to pick up the pace the last week, that may have been due to a transfer of troops from Donbas. Now that the Donbas people are beginning to rebel, their choice is to pull out or get slaughtered in an insurgency campaign.

The Russians have also started using the OTR-21 Tochka which is an obsolete missile system that was in the process of being retired. Westerners have assumed Russia went into this war with about 500 modern short range rockets and they have probably used them up, so they are now using their obsolete inventory.

Here is the post about the train carrying civilian vehicles into the war

Those vehicles have the Russian military ID on them, the 'Z'. That's desperation.

All this is right, the Russian military is a total mess.
At the start of the invasion they didn't have enough trucks.
Trucks and convoys of all kinds were sent in with minimal protection, there were countless ambushes where trucks and other equipment has been destroyed.
Then there are trucks stuck in the mud, or stranded with a damaged tire.
They have deployed multiple airborne units behind lines, only for them to be destroyed.
They are out of missiles, etc.
If they don't do a deal soon, the Ukrainians will counter attack , close all the boarders, prevent any significant resupply, then progressively finish them off.

Last edited:
See this twitter thread below, if it is in any way accurate it strengthens my belief that Russians will gladly take a semi-reasonable deal with both hands.

Summary :-
  • The Russians only did slap-dash analysis on this scenario as they didn't think it was serious.
  • Nearly everyone was surprised by the invasion decision.
  • No single person pushes the red button.
  • They don't have a good replacement for Zelensky
  • If we don't occupy the replacement government will be overthrown in 10 minutes, 500,000 personal required to occupy.
  • They have lost contact with major divisions and don't know how many troops have died.
I now think the plane swap deal isn't a major risk, if this reported leak is true, US intelligence probably already knows all this, and more.

I think Ukraine wants to planes to help break sieges of cities, earlier or prevent them happening,

If the Russians agree to not bombard residential areas, no planes are needed.

If there is a ceasefire and on going negotiations, no planes are needed,

Logic suggests a deal is coming, because the problems with the invasion are major, The chance of a successful occupation close to zero, The chances of the Russian economy / society surviving long under the weight of sanctions zero...

Something for the Donbass region might allow Putin to spin the campaign as a success, at least to the domestic public.
The whole world knows the truth, but this might be enough to save face...

Putin is bluffing with a very poor poker hand, many in Russia know how bad their hand is. Hopefully common-sense will prevail.

If true this also confirms my suspicion that Syria might be the next domino to fall, hopefully that happens, and they get a decent government, long overdue.
When you look at how the war is going, a lot of this makes sense.

If you are afraid to report things truthfully up the chain of command, the leaders will have a really unrealistic view of the situation.

As Finns would say, this whole thing has been "ryssitty". Roughly could translate as Russianising the operation. "Ryssiä" is a term used for when you really fubar it. No, it's not in any dictionary.

Last edited:
When you look at how the war is going, a lot of this makes sense.

If you are afraid to report things truthfully up the chain of command, the leaders will have a really unrealistic view of the situation.

As Finns would say, this whole thing has been "ryssitty". Roughly could translate as Russianising the operation. "Ryssiä" is a term used for when you really fubar it. No, it's not in any dictionary.

Russia loosing badly and reverting to tactical nuclear weapons is a real concern.
However, allegations about Ukraine developing nuclear weapons are hopefully aimed at justifying massive army losses at home.
Overall I have always thought a deal is the best option, best not to make Putin too desperate.

Last edited:
The Ukrainians know this. Hold out and Russia will collapse militarily. Then they can get what they want at the negotiation table.

I thought the fixed wing aircraft were going to go to higher altitude to avoid the MANPADS, but instead the Russians have kept them below 1000 ft to avoid radar. Hitting a jet with a MANPAD is tough, but below 1000 ft they are vulnerable. If someone has a MANPAD ready to go and a jet appears close by, the operator only has to aim in the general direction of the jet and pull the trigger, the heat seeking mechanism does the rest.

Modern fighter make use of flares to confuse heat seeking weapons, but there is a limited supply on board and they can't just spray them constantly while in enemy airspace. If the plane is at altitude, they can detect the missile coming and have time to launch flares, but at low altitude they don't have any time to get warning.

The increase in shoot downs Saturday may have been because the Russians are sending more air missions (sorties) into Ukraine. More sorties means more opportunity to get shot down. The west has provided so many MANPADS now that it has de facto created a no fly zone.

The Russians may be sending more air sorties in because they are running out of rocket artillery ammunition. The Russians may not have had much supply at the beginning of the war and now lack the ability to make more.

The two sides are very, very far from any kind of deal. The Russians want Ukraine to be completely demilitarized and want them to decommission all their nuclear power reactors. Whether it's just Russian spin or Putin really is paranoid, but the talk in Russian media is that the Ukrainians had a nuclear weapons program and at minimum they were planning on making dirty bombs to set off in Russia.

The Ukrainians want their territory in Crimea and Donbas back.
[back a long time ago this stuff was my specialist subject, before I came into energy, and the principles have not changed].

Re missiles : Missiles of any type are not a perfect weapon, especially not MANPADS. A lot of MANPAD shots can be defeated by the targeted aircraft. It takes good operators to use MANPADS effectively. MANPADS are most dangerous against low and slow flyers, which is why the Su-25 Frogfoot and the helicopters are getting hit. That in turn is why the Russians are having to turn to the Su-34 Fullback in order to get reasonable accuracy from >1000-feet using dumb bombs, as that is the most viable aircraft with trained crews that the Russians have in their fleet. However the Su-34 cannot fly too high as it then becomes vulnerable to the Ukrainian Bukhs (which though they are the older Bukhs are still obviously capable), or vulnerable to the remnant Ukrainian airforce. It is because of that Ukrainian remnant airforce that the Russians are having to operate their medium/high-level missile systems such as the S-300 / S-400 (and their Bukhs), and there is quite a lot of anecdotal reporting that the Russians are having problems deconflicting their own missiles from their own aircraft. So basically the Russians are trying to attrite the Ukrainian air force enough that they can in time switch off the Russian missile systems, switch to medium-altitude bombing, and get out of range of the MANPAD threat, and accept the bombing accuracy loss, i.e. their tactics in Syria and Chechnya (Grozny). Hence the Ukrainians trying to get their hands on more aircraft - and I hope a way is found to enable that. One needs a heck of a lot of MANPADS to give widespread coverage as the practical engagement ranges/zones are very limited. The Ukrainians are doing a very good job in the circumstances with the resources they have. A very real issue is that the S300/400 and the Russian airbases are physically located in Russia and/or Belarus, so the Russians can big up the Ukrainian attacks on those sites as being aggressive in nature. (the same would be a big issue if NATO were to start dismantling the Russian IADS).

Re Budapest memorandum : Technically the UK and USA are fulfilling their obligations. Obviously the Russians are in breach. Morally the UK and USA (and France) have a duty to do a lot to assist, and one can make a case that just about enough is being done. Opinions on that vary. It is a very fine line.

Re no-fly zones : I perfectly understand why NATO does not wish to declare a no-fly zone, as that would make NATO a party to the conflict. And in the absence of a UN Security Council resolution it is difficult for NATO to act in this way, and of course Russia can (and has) vetoed a UN Secrity Council resolution. It would be possible for (say) UK/FR/USA to declare a no-fly zone but they would need agreement of (say) RO, HU, GR, TK to do so as they would need overfly rights to get their aircraft from their bases to Ukraine. So in practical terms declaring a no-fly zone that way inevitably snowballs and drags in all of NATO. Very difficult - as the Swedes and Fins are rapidly learning you cannot be under the NATO umbrella unless you are actually in NATO. Expect referendums in both those countries fairly soon after the dust settles. The security guarantuees that British politicians were giving to the Swedes a few days ago are of no more use than the Budapest memorandum imho.

Re peace negotiations and cease fires : we must be really careful about letting apparently reasonable demands be put forward that leave the Ukrainians in an untenable situation. And basically any occupation of Crimea, Donbass, etc is untenable, let along more territory. Complete and utter withdrawal is the minimum requirement. Also note that it is not just Ukraine in play here - the Russians have effectively already annexed Belarus, and are very obviously trying to create a situation where they also control Moldova as well as Ukraine.

Nobody has unlimited time and resources here. But be aware that the weather plays a part. From a Ukrainian perspective the worst thing would be for a warm dry Spring that dries the fields out and lets the Russian tracked vehicles cross the fields. At the moment the open landscape war is a tactical fight for - and very much constrained to only be along - the road and rail network. Lots of good soaking rain/sleet/warm-snow is best for the Ukrainians at the moment.

I don't think it will drag on for too long - worth reading this :

Last edited:
[back a long time ago this stuff was my specialist subject, before I came into energy, and the principles have not changed].

Re missiles : Missiles of any type are not a perfect weapon, especially not MANPADS. A lot of MANPAD shots can be defeated by the targeted aircraft. It takes good operators to use MANPADS effectively. MANPADS are most dangerous against low and slow flyers, which is why the Su-25 Frogfoot and the helicopters are getting hit. That in turn is why the Russians are having to turn to the Su-34 Fullback in order to get reasonable accuracy from >1000-feet using dumb bombs, as that is the most viable aircraft with trained crews that the Russians have in their fleet. However the Su-34 cannot fly too high as it then becomes vulnerable to the Ukrainian Bukhs (which though they are the older Bukhs are still obviously capable), or vulnerable to the remnant Ukrainian airforce. It is because of that Ukrainian remnant airforce that the Russians are having to operate their medium/high-level missile systems such as the S-300 / S-400 (and their Bukhs), and there is quite a lot of anecdotal reporting that the Russians are having problems deconflicting their own missiles from their own aircraft. So basically the Russians are trying to attrite the Ukrainian air force enough that they can in time switch off the Russian missile systems, switch to medium-altitude bombing, and get out of range of the MANPAD threat, and accept the bombing accuracy loss, i.e. their tactics in Syria and Chechnya (Grozny). Hence the Ukrainians trying to get their hands on more aircraft - and I hope a way is found to enable that. One needs a heck of a lot of MANPADS to give widespread coverage as the practical engagement ranges/zones are very limited. The Ukrainians are doing a very good job in the circumstances with the resources they have. A very real issue is that the S300/400 and the Russian airbases are physically located in Russia and/or Belarus, so the Russians can big up the Ukrainian attacks on those sites as being aggressive in nature. (the same would be a big issue if NATO were to start dismantling the Russian IADS).

Re Budapest memorandum : Technically the UK and USA are fulfilling their obligations. Obviously the Russians are in breach. Morally the UK and USA (and France) have a duty to do a lot to assist, and one can make a case that just about enough is being done. Opinions on that vary. It is a very fine line.

Re no-fly zones : I perfectly understand why NATO does not wish to declare a no-fly zone, as that would make NATO a party to the conflict. And in the absence of a UN Security Council resolution it is difficult for NATO to act in this way, and of course Russia can (and has) vetoed a UN Secrity Council resolution. It would be possible for (say) UK/FR/USA to declare a no-fly zone but they would need agreement of (say) RO, HU, GR, TK to do so as they would need overfly rights to get their aircraft from their bases to Ukraine. So in practical terms declaring a no-fly zone that way inevitably snowballs and drags in all of NATO. Very difficult - as the Swedes and Fins are rapidly learning you cannot be under the NATO umbrella unless you are actually in NATO. Expect referendums in both those countries fairly soon after the dust settles. The security guarantuees that British politicians were giving to the Swedes a few days ago are of no more use than the Budapest memorandum imho.

Re peace negotiations and cease fires : we must be really careful about letting apparently reasonable demands be put forward that leave the Ukrainians in an untenable situation. And basically any occupation of Crimea, Donbass, etc is untenable, let along more territory. Complete and utter withdrawal is the minimum requirement. Also note that it is not just Ukraine in play here - the Russians have effectively already annexed Belarus, and are very obviously trying to create a situation where they also control Moldova as well as Ukraine.

Nobody has unlimited time and resources here. But be aware that the weather plays a part. From a Ukrainian perspective the worst thing would be for a warm dry Spring that dries the fields out and lets the Russian tracked vehicles cross the fields. At the moment the open landscape war is a tactical fight for - and very much constrained to only be along - the road and rail network. Lots of good soaking rain/sleet/warm-snow is best for the Ukrainians at the moment.

See my post above, Putin seems deserate and unhinged, that was before the invasion degenerated into a farce.

That is possibly why Russian security services are leaking. They are trying to prevent a disaster.

Zelensky stated that Russian negoitators were starting to become more reasonable.
Cutting a deal is sometimes the best option.
I mean a deal both sides can live with.

I still think we should give them more planes.

You can't bomb accurately at high altitude with dumb bombs. The reason they are bombing low is that the bombs are dumb, the exact altitude is just a compromise due to the defense capabilities of the Ukraines. However, the reason they are so low to begin with is dumb bombs.

See my post above, Putin seems deserate and unhinged, that was before the invasion degenerated into a farce.

That is possibly why Russian security services are leaking. They are trying to prevent a disaster.

Zelensky stated that Russian negoitators were starting to become more reasonable.
Cutting a deal is sometimes the best option.
I mean a deal both sides can live with.

I still think we should give them more planes.
More planes and more logistical help and continued intelligence sharing. Whatever we can do to assist Ukraine with logistics will be a differentiator as the situation evolves.

You can't bomb accurately at high altitude with dumb bombs. The reason they are bombing low is that the bombs are dumb, the exact altitude is just a compromise due to the defense capabilities of the Ukraines. However, the reason they are so low to begin with is dumb bombs.
Yes, of course

But be aware that the weather plays a part. From a Ukrainian perspective the worst thing would be for a warm dry Spring that dries the fields out and lets the Russian tracked vehicles cross the fields. At the moment the open landscape war is a tactical fight for - and very much constrained to only be along - the road and rail network. Lots of good soaking rain/sleet/warm-snow is best for the Ukrainians at the moment.
Related to the fields ... some purposefully flood (Kyiv reservoir).

Last edited: