Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rural Owner: What Can I Expect From Tesla? Two Hours Away From Closest Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am waiting on the delivery of a Model S Plaid, which is approximately two weeks away. I am concerned about what I should expect from Tesla should my car need service. A few questions I have for those of you who are rural Tesla owners or who have experienced long-distance Tesla service:

1). Can I arrange a loaner vehicle in advance if my MSP needs overnight service? There are no Uber/Lyft services close to where I live.
2). Will Tesla mobile service drive two hours to service my car?
3). Do you have any tips for me?

Thanks so much in advance.

Joe

First of all, good luck. I lived in a more remote area than where I live now.

Tesla delivered my car to me. They still wanted me to use Uber even though they were far away. That would get me home but no luck going anywhere else. I finally hassled them enough to get a loaner car. YMMV of course.

When I service issues, they did dispatch a mobile tech to take care of it. Keep in mind though, this is rarely instant unless you are broken down. Even then you'll likely wait. Being farther away will just add to the wait.

As for tips, be prepared for massive depreciation. Even worse on a Plaid. If you are getting the one without parking sensors, the TeslaVision replacement is not up to snuff yet. Drove it in a friend's car and it is at best, a work in progress. Go buy a camera to put in the nose of the car. You will thank me later.

IF you have 21" tires, expected accelerated wear due to camber. Hopefully no driveshaft vibrations.

Did you get the yoke or wheel?

Reactions: CleanDemon
Thanks so much. I will be certain to request a loaner vehicle when I schedule my service. I hope if I can get them to commit to a loaner, they will follow through.

I am a recreational pilot, so I got the Yoke, but really, it is mostly for the novelty. I am confident that the yoke will work for the way I drive. I will not track this car, and the roads here in my area of North Carolina are fairly docile with respect to obtuse (think trigonometry here) turns, so I do not expect any significant difficulties.

I have been coming up to speed on some of the common MSP issues, including the camber issue. I am hopeful that there are no driveshaft issues. I am a gearhead mechanic, and with any luck, I will be able to fix most of the common issues. I am more worried about fit and finish issues than I am about the other, more mechanical issues, but perhaps I am naive. I am of course, concerned enough that I felt the need to post this thread. :)

Joe

First of all, good luck. I lived in a more remote area than where I live now.

Tesla delivered my car to me. They still wanted me to use Uber even though they were far away. That would get me home but no luck going anywhere else. I finally hassled them enough to get a loaner car. YMMV of course.

When I service issues, they did dispatch a mobile tech to take care of it. Keep in mind though, this is rarely instant unless you are broken down. Even then you'll likely wait. Being farther away will just add to the wait.

As for tips, be prepared for massive depreciation. Even worse on a Plaid. If you are getting the one without parking sensors, the TeslaVision replacement is not up to snuff yet. Drove it in a friend's car and it is at best, a work in progress. Go buy a camera to put in the nose of the car. You will thank me later.

IF you have 21" tires, expected accelerated wear due to camber. Hopefully no driveshaft vibrations.

Did you get the yoke or wheel?

I love in So-Cal and the nearest Tesla shop is a smidge over 2 hours from me and I er also doesn't operate near me.

Whenever I drop off my car I let them know in the chat that I'll need a loaner if they will be keeping the car overnight. And again when I drop off the car I talk to them and say if they will be keeping the car overnight I need a loaner.

Sometimes they aren't sure how long it'll take and give me Uber credits to chill out in the city and if they aren't gonna be don't by COB they call me and tell me to go to the enterprise shop they use to get a loaner.

I've never had an issue getting a loaner, however I have gotten stuck with a maserati once and that really sucked it was slow as hell but if I have an early appt and they are gonna give me a loaner I usually get a S or an X loaner from enterprise.

Basically don't be a dick and just let them know your distance situation and you'll be fine.

Reactions: PR0FESSOR
How long do you plan to own the car? There is a downward trajectory for Tesla service since they launched as a company. Here in Houston, now their policy is no loaner and no Uber credits if they expect the work to take less than 24 hours. Overnight doesn't play into the equation. They can game their own system by automatically marking the work as expecting to take less than 24 hours and revising it when it goes longer, but you are left in a lurch.

It's such a steep decline, whatever you are able to sweet talk them into now will like not work in a year or two. I am afraid to know what it will be like in 5 years.

1). Can I arrange a loaner vehicle in advance if my MSP needs overnight service? There are no Uber/Lyft services close to where I live.
2). Will Tesla mobile service drive two hours to service my car?
3). Do you have any tips for me?

It all depends on the Service Center and how the Service Advisor is feeling. They seem to be pretty good about Uber credits (are you sure there are no Uber, the seem to be literally everywhere).
You may have Mobile Service visit you. That depends on the issue and if Mobile Service is even available in your area.
All communications with Service will be done through the Tesla app. don't expect to be able to call anyone. You can request and respond through the app and many times they are able to accommodate request.

Just remember, you make their life hard, they can make your life harder. Make their life easy and the may makes yours better!

I'm near Atlanta and I'm over an hour away from a Service Center.

The great thing, the car's don't need much service. Much of the annual you can do yourself, if desired. That's about it.
Tires? Let me put it simply, Tesla Service Center are not tire stores. They will do it but they are expensive and don't want to. Other tire centers can often do a much better job.

I am very rural (live in the mountains in Colorado). Fortunately, I am only 1 hr away from a Service Center. I have a 22 model S Plaid and have had no issues - even on fit and finish. The service center has treated me very nicely in setting up appointments. I have been there 2 times. The first to get some replacement plastic pop pins. When I installed the powered frunk, one broke. They gave me a handful for free. The second is when the parts dept sold me the wrong TPM for my winter tires/wheels. They replaced the TPM and remounted the wheels with no charge.

I think it really depends on location and how much work the service center might see.

My only complaint is I wish they provided free car washes. Hate thinking that I will drop the car off at some point and dirt/mud may cause scratches as they work on it. Even my GMC dealer washes my 2008 truck if I drop by (even without requiring service).

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My experience is that it's completely dependent on your service center. So others experience may not mirror yours.

Bay Area in California almost never has loaners available and the service is absolutely awful with incompetent techs. Would rather poke my eyes out.

When I got my car serviced in Canada they gave me Uber credits until they could get a loaner charged up, and then switched me out. Much friendlier and more competent service.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I am four away from the service center. They have been pretty good about sending Mobile Service, although sometimes appointment take weeks to finalize. In my situation it has not been an issue. I have driven to the service center when necessary, and my wife drives me back. A bit of a nuisance. They offered me a loaner, which I didn't need. I wasn't going to be using the car for several weeks anyway as I was traveling.

There is no Uber within an hour of where I live.

I have had good luck while driving out of state of going to a service center and getting urgent things attended to the same day.

Works for me, but I know lots of folks would be upset.