Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumors---Scuttlebutt—and Speculations 100D ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
I waited patiently at 2016 year end for the 100D to be released and grab one with FUSC. That didn’t happen but the 100D did finally show its face. Then I kept going over all the rumors of the Model 3 reveal coming up and all the magical things Elon and his team are dreaming up and remembering him saying the Model S/X will always be in parity or better than the Model 3 and the earnings report in two weeks with live Q&A…. Soooooo

I am reaching that 50k mile mark and two years so it’s time to trade in EVie on a new HW2 model and a larger battery which hopefully will last us many many years. (we still have to take our BMWAH7Li on longer trips that don’t have any SC or DC charging stops yet and the 100D should do us just perfectly)

Some questions and thoughts to my Tesla family that follow even closer than I probably do:

1: Will HUD ever make it to our cars since FSD is the ultimate goal and the center screen can bring as much information plus some as would ever be needed? (Why would you need HUD with the center screen and the car fully driving itself)

2: Any rumors of what may be coming from the last (I think a couple of weeks ago) production line changes.

Ie: Seat Belt Changes from the IIHS report rating

Possibly head light changes

The wind noise due to the all glass roof being too high in the front behind the windshield

Upgraded battery pack design to allow for faster SC rates (rumors say up to 400kWh)

So TeslaFans what are your thoughts and ideas about what is around the corner.

Nail biting begins I do realize that Tesla continues to change design and updates continually so there is no GOOD time to buy…just interested in what you guys are speculating.

We've waited to order a replacement for our 4 year old S P85. The major features we wanted was the 70 miles additional range of the 100D and the AP 2.0 hardware with the potential for full self driving.

It's inevitable other features will be added, and like we did with the S P85, every time we'll likely go through the same process - initially disappointed, a short period of feature envy, and then settling back to enjoying the car we have with the features we wanted when we purchased the car.

The only major feature we would like to see is the ultrafast charging. But that really isn't that big a deal for us. At most, we might take one long road trip each year, and based on our experience with the 2500+ mile road trip we took last summer, it was much more relaxing to take 15-30 minute breaks every 2-3 hours while the car was charging.

HUD is interesting, but not as important as FSD. If/when FSD is working, we won't be using the dashboard as much. For the Model 3, if they install HUD, it may be more for cost reasons than as a feature improvement - since eliminating the dashboard console and replacing it with HUD is likely a cost savings, important for the lower priced Model 3.

My recommendation for anyone considering placing a Tesla order. If you want to wait for the latest and greatest features - since Tesla is continuously updating their cars, you'll never place an order. Instead of doing that, research to determine what additional features are likely coming in the next 12-24 months, and identify the most important features you want - and when those become available, place your order. That's why we were ready to pull the trigger on an S 100D on the first day it was available.

A HUD doesn't interest me personally but there are already a few aftermarket HUDs becoming available that may suit any capability you want from one.

I think it would take longer to deploy infrastructure to support 350+ kW charging than it would the cars to use it and AFAIK no Warp-chargers have been built. There also seems to be some contradiction to EM's statements (surprise). I assume the ability to charge at that rate will be tied to the new chemistry coming out of the gigafactory. However, I'm not sure if it came directly from EM, but most have surmised that the S/X won't see that technology until 3 production is well established and contracts with Panasonic slow down/expire or maybe Powerwall demand raises to consume those batteries. If this is the case, you can't achieve immediate parity. Like bob_p, I thoroughly enjoy the experience of taking more regular breaks throughout my trip so if it came out tomorrow I wouldn't be heartbroken.

We just had HW2 and fairly recently the bump to a 100 kWh pack that EM does not plan on exceeding capacity for a while. I don't foresee anything major for a while. Like you said, maybe a HUD and definitely more interior design changes to come.