Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotate tires or just get new ones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, thanks in advance on input.

I have 2022 Model Y. Headed into summer months in Socal, don't expect rain for next 5 months usually.
I have been very neglectful in tire rotation. Currently at 39K miles.

Front tires tread is around 6-7 while back is around 4-5.

Should I rotate, move back tires up front. Or just get new tires?

thanks again.

Hi, thanks in advance on input.

I have 2022 Model Y. Headed into summer months in Socal, don't expect rain for next 5 months usually.
I have been very neglectful in tire rotation. Currently at 39K miles.

Front tires tread is around 6-7 while back is around 4-5.

Should I rotate, move back tires up front. Or just get new tires?

thanks again.
As a general rule, you SHOULD rotate your tires on a Tesla every 6,250 miles.

These cars roast tires. I’m on my 3rd set of tires on my Model Y after 55k miles - and that’s with doing my own rotations as per the recommendation.

If you don’t rotate, the rears will quickly get chewed up while your fronts remain barely worn.

Please, invest in a jack, pucks, torque wrench etc.. and do your own rotations! It only takes 20-30 mins and as far as I’m concerned, it’s instrumental in keeping your tires long lasting not to mention safe to drive on.

Rotate front to back and hold off on replacement until winter. 4-5 32nds is 100% totally fine for a SoCal summer. Replacing now is just throwing money away.

See where you’re at come ~November and make a decision then.
Yes.. I agree with this. However 4/32 can quickly become 2/32 which is bad. OP, keep an eye out on those rears! 2/32 is not safe to drive on!

Basically, the moment you feel the rear end “shimmy” on the freeway @ 75mph you know it’s too late.

Places like Discount Tire will rotation tires for free, so there is no excuse in not getting it done. When you are ready to buy a new set, if you get them from Discount Tire, you will get free balancing and if you purchase the tire replacement warranty you get a free tire replacement if the tire becomes non-serviceable (such as a nail in the sidewall).

thanks for the answers, will plan on rotation back to front soon, wait until fall to get new tires, this makes most sense to me.
I would follow @ScoobyDoo82’s recommendation of keeping an eye on it. Last thing you need is to find out you’re way past the what you feel safe just because you ended up driving a bit more than you expected by then.

On the flip side, it might last even longer. And since LA ”winters” aren't much of an issue like in other locales, you have less to need to change them by then.

As a general rule, you SHOULD rotate your tires on a Tesla every 6,250 miles.

These cars roast tires. I’m on my 3rd set of tires on my Model Y after 55k miles - and that’s with doing my own rotations as per the recommendation.

If you don’t rotate, the rears will quickly get chewed up while your fronts remain barely worn.

On the other hand, I have 43k miles on my original Contis. I rotated once at 18k. My tread wear is even and I have right at 6/32 left on all 4 tires.

My personal opinion is that rotating every 6250 miles is overkill in most cases. However, driving habits can contribute a lot to chewing up the rear tires.

On the other hand, I have 43k miles on my original Contis. I rotated once at 18k. My tread wear is even and I have right at 6/32 left on all 4 tires.

My personal opinion is that rotating every 6250 miles is overkill in most cases. However, driving habits can contribute a lot to chewing up the rear tires.
There is zero chance that all 4 tires are at 6/32 after 25k miles - regardless of how easy you are on the acceleration/driving habits. All dual motor 3/Y Tesla’s are primarily rear-drive dominant. Even if you’ve baby’d the car after 25k miles your rears will be more worn. I call BS.

There is zero chance that all 4 tires are at 6/32 after 25k miles - regardless of how easy you are on the acceleration/driving habits. All dual motor 3/Y Tesla’s are primarily rear-drive dominant. Even if you’ve baby’d the car after 25k miles your rears will be more worn. I call BS.
I thought this could be BS too when I first took my car in, but I had same exact tread on all my tires as well at 18K miles... measured both @ discount tire AND my own tool

Yes.. I agree with this. However 4/32 can quickly become 2/32 which is bad. OP, keep an eye out on those rears! 2/32 is not safe to drive on!

Basically, the moment you feel the rear end “shimmy” on the freeway @ 75mph you know it’s too late.
Actually 2/32” is perfectly safe to drive on dry pavement - the OP is in SoCal. Though I would replace once tread wear is there. Tread is only there to deal with rain, snow, wet pavement. You may notice racing tires have no tread, only racing tires for wet conditions even have tread.

Pirelli_2012-F1_Tyres_01.jpg

Last edited:

You can call whatever you like. It really doesn't matter to me.

But your statement that there is zero chance is flat out incorrect.

But your statement that there is zero chance is flat out incorrect.
I'll second this. I last checked my tread depth closing in on 21,000 miles- the fronts were at 6/32", and the rears still at 7/32".

It would absolutely be possible for someone to hit 25K with all four tires at 6/32" (we might still do it). And in the best of cases, if someone did mainly highway miles, on smooth roads, in cool weather, with a good alignment, and a non-aggressive driving style, I wouldn't be surprised if one could get substantially more than 25K.

For the benefit of others, here is my personal tire experience ....

Car new with 19" Continentals: Sep 25, 2021 @ 5 miles.
Flat tire (RR). Patched at Goodyear: Sep, 28, 2021 @ 470 miles.
Flat tire (LR). Plugged it myself in driveway: @ about 16,000 miles.
Rotated tires myself in driveway: Jun 20, 2022, @ 19,948 miles

Current state of tires in 32nds: Jul 8, 2023 @ 43,427 miles

LF: 6.25, 6.5, 6.5, 6.25
LR: 6.25, 6.5, 6.0, 6.5
RF: 6.0, 6.0, 6.0, 6.0
RR: 6.0, 6.0, 6.0, 6.0

I use a Godeson analog dial tread gauge (reads only in 32nds). And yes, it measures in fractions of a 32nd.

• Helpful
Reactions: Level 1