Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster car cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car Covers - Covercraft and Tesla Cover

For outdoors I use the Covercraft Custom Fit Car Cover: 2010 TESLA ROADSTER BASE WITH CUTOUTS WITH 2 MIRROR POCKETS (WeatherShield HP - PR Red) Size G2
P1010315.jpg

For indoors I use the Tesla Car Cover
P1010316.jpg

In the search for car covers, I found that there are quite a lot of available choices for material types:

Cover options for 2008 tesla roadster car

If one lives in Southern California, and thus doesn't expect particularly extreme weather conditions, would the reflectect or ultratect be enough? Or should I go all out for the weathershield HP/HD?

How is the size of the weathershield cover when stuffed into the trunk, would it benefit from a lighter material as I presume the other covers might be?

This car, by the way, will be parked outdoors a majority of the time, and is black (so temperature control is a large portion of why I'm getting the cover).

I attempted to post a reply here a few days ago asking about these car covers, but it included a link and therefore hasn't shown up because I'm a new account. I found a website which sells various covers for the roadster, one of which seems to be the covercraft cover mentioned above. I'm wondering if the WeatherShield is necessary, or if getting a lighter weight one might be okay for Southern California (not much very hard rain down here). The car will be parked outside while charging so the Tesla cover isn't going to work for me, also temperature considerations (one which keeps the car cool and protected from the sun) are of primary concern. Maybe the Noah or Ultratect or Reflectect? Does anyone have any opinions on covercraft covers other than the weathershield mentioned above?

Gust Guard for Outdoor Car Cover - Yes/No?

Great thread. I am in the market for a car cover for my newly purchased Roadster. In Hong Kong, so the rain is hard and the sun is intense. Going for the Weathershield HP, with cutouts.

Question - did anyone take the gust guard option? We also experience high winds here, so I thought they might be useful. But then I am concerned if they flap about and may do more harm than good.

Any thoughts from those who have or have not opted for the gust guard. A good option, or not worth the bother?

Many thanks.
Volta

Nice, but that one isn't waterproof is it?
Volta

Correct, the Tesla cover is not waterproof. The CoverCraft is water-resistant. However note that car covers are not waterproof and over time do allow moisture in. They're not good long-term solutions since they do hold moisture in. They are designed to breath but not ment to substitute a garage.

My Roadster lives outside in the elements and does very well. Having a carbon fiber body and aluminum frame helps out substantially. I don't really care too much about the paint, meaning its a car. Its my commuter, scratches are all part of a car aging and being used as well as appreciated. It always can be repainted. I've had a car that I was very anal about the paint and interior, it was more stress than anything. And when stressed you're more worried about the car than truly using and appreciating it.

I am concerned about heat and UV. That can abuse a car's finish fast as well as the interior. I do use my CoverCraft cover on my Roadster when I'm gone on a trip that's 1-2 weeks and I know it'll be exposed to the sun. The car cover will also help reduce the battery temp for that if you have the light gray cover it will reflect the sunlight which will reduce the pack's temp.

I bought the wind tie down kit for my cover but never used it. Its cheezy anyways, some rope and some grips that clamp onto the cove so you can pull it tighter. It does work if you look at what its suppose to do, but in windy conditions I'd opt to take my cover off.

The "shower cap" is what I use most, that keeps the sun out of the cockpit and the temps down on hot days. It also protects the soft-top from the UV's as well as from it being bleached by the sun.

Last edited:
Clothespins/clamps or paper binderclips work better, it's a bit of a pain to tighten/loosen the cords and if it's really windy, you can't be sure that it'll hold it down so you end up putting clips/etc to make sure the cover doesn't blow off.
It's basically a parachute so I use the clamps with rubber on them to prevent any scratches - 30x 2 inch Mini Metal Spring Clamps w Red Rubber Tips Tool Lot of 30 Pcs Pack | eBay

Great thread. I am in the market for a car cover for my newly purchased Roadster. In Hong Kong, so the rain is hard and the sun is intense. Going for the Weathershield HP, with cutouts.

Question - did anyone take the gust guard option? We also experience high winds here, so I thought they might be useful. But then I am concerned if they flap about and may do more harm than good.

Any thoughts from those who have or have not opted for the gust guard. A good option, or not worth the bother?

Many thanks.
Volta

Clothespins/clamps or paper binderclips work better, it's a bit of a pain to tighten/loosen the cords and if it's really windy, you can't be sure that it'll hold it down so you end up putting clips/etc to make sure the cover doesn't blow off.
It's basically a parachute so I use the clamps with rubber on them to prevent any scratches - 30x 2 inch Mini Metal Spring Clamps w Red Rubber Tips Tool Lot of 30 Pcs Pack | eBay

The Roadster cover may work better under windy conditions, reason being it has that front, top, side and rear cutouts that cars typically don't have. That helps the air to escape and helps limit the parachute effect to some degree. However they may allow air to push in where normally it doesn't, so there will still be some air captured in until finds its way out.

I have the Tesla Roadster cover and what can happen is that during a charge, the fan kicks in and blows through the front cutouts, making the cover billow out. If it's sufficiently windy and I didn't make sure that the front end was secure, it'll definitely come off.
I'm in the hills across from the Golden Gate Bridge so wind gusts can get over 50 mph/80kph - with rain you will definitely want the covercraft instead of the Tesla cover but that has cutouts as well.

The Roadster cover may work better under windy conditions, reason being it has that front, top, side and rear cutouts that cars typically don't have. That helps the air to escape and helps limit the parachute effect to some degree. However they may allow air to push in where normally it doesn't, so there will still be some air captured in until finds its way out.