Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster car cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Florida and plan on driving my roadster nearly every day (hey it does rain here!)
I was on the phone with Covercraft and they have the "Weathershield" product on sale (all of there roadster products have both vents and the charging door available).
They claim it is better than the NOAH cover (lighter, thinner, better "protection" (the guy claimed better over-all protection). It sounds good, but I am wondering why there is so much discussion about the NOAH product, but not much on the better line of fabric.

Also, does anyone have a cover they no longer use and want to part with?

thanks,
Jordan

I just ordered one brand new. I called cover craft and they have the front lower, front upper, and charger opening built into the cover. I need to send it back after I mark where to have a custom window put in to view the VMS while charging to get the status when the cover's on. They didn't want to make a mistake giving random measurements which sounds professional. It also has the two rear upper vent openings which are behind the doors. I don't know if they really needed to open it up there, it looks like just a forced air inlet while driving to offer additional cooling to the battery pack.

Great customer service from CoverCraft and I highly recommend!

I ordered mine from AutoBarn.com, they offer free shipping and you can find a 10% coupons once a month online by searching or in your mail if you've ordered from them in the past. so I added that for some extra savings. I went with the grey weatherguard, not the HD version.

I need to send it back after I mark where to have a custom window put in to view the VMS while charging to get the status when the cover's on.

A better solution might be OVMS : http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7716-OVMS-Installation?p=118436&viewfull=1#post118436

It's more money than a cutout in a cover, but it has a lot of other benefits.

While I'm here, I'm currently using Tesla's cover on my car when I park outside at work (at least when it's not raining). I wash it every couple of weeks or so, but it's holding up well after 11 months. I know it's billed as an indoor cover, but it seems to work pretty well. When it does wear out, what are my options? I like that the Tesla cover packs pretty small and has a soft interior. What is equivalent that might more outdoors oriented?

Sorry, my mistake.... its the WeatherShield model not WeatherGuard. I like the OVMS idea but not into the recurring data usage fees from the cell carrier. For now manually peaking in works for me. Thanks for the link!

Also the CoverCraft WeatherShield (not the HD version) is very compact when packed. I believe a person on the forum said I could fit into the soft top bag and its lightweight but durable. CoverCraft also told me I can throw it into the washing machine to remove the dust and dirt. That's key so that the small dirt particles don't hurt your paint in the wind acting like sandpaper. Mine should be showing up this week. Since I don't have a garage or carport the cover will be my primary outdoor protection from the sun and elements. I also bought a shelter logic portable garage in the 10' wide x 8' high x 15' long dimensions. Also went with the dome version since it appeared to be the strongest design (geometrically speaking). Came out to be around $323 total shipped from Home Depot online.

Last edited:
Great customer service from CoverCraft and I highly recommend!

I ordered mine from AutoBarn.com, they offer free shipping and you can find a 10% coupons once a month online by searching or in your mail if you've ordered from them in the past. so I added that for some extra savings. I went with the grey weatherguard, not the HD version.

Thanks for the tip - I ordered from AutoBarn.com, too. I just ordered the NOAH cover, I don't mind it being a bit bulky and I'm familiar with the NOAH material from previous car covers I've had. For now I'm lucky in that I can park in a garage at work, so I shouldn't need to use the car cover too often, but it will be good to have when I need it.

So I'm guessing you haven't actually touched this yet? I have this feeling that although it is more expensive than the Noah, it is thinner (like parachute material). The guy I spoke with at CoverCraft was pleasant, but not too helpful explaining the differences. I'd love to get some input from someone who actually has the WeatherSheild (non-HD, 'cause that's what I'm looking at also).

"So I'm guessing you haven't actually touched this yet? I have this feeling that although it is more expensive than the Noah, it is thinner (like parachute material)."

Yes I've touched it. CoverCraft was nice enough to send me out samples of the different material. The WeatherShield is like a lightweight parachute. Feel free to call or email CoverCraft if you are interested in having the sample material mailed out to you. It was really fast for me, two days to get the samples.

Feel free to call or email CoverCraft if you are interested in having the sample material mailed out to you.
Great suggestion! I called them and they are sending me samples of the Noah and WeatherSheild (not Heavy Duty) (and a couple of others...) I'll let you know how I make out. BTW, for what its worth, CoverCraft has an outlet and they have a 1/2 price special on the Non HD WeatherShield.

wiztecy;139355... I need to send it back after I mark where to have a custom window put in to view the . Great customer service from CoverCraft and I highly recommend! .[/QUOTE said:
I use my cover every day when I charge 110 I am always checking the range.

I went to Covercraft in Northridge and gave them the measurement for a flap that could see the VDS. I went to great pains to make sure the flap works for both the 1.5 and 2.Xs. by making a cardboard window template with a a near 3" hole. Tried it on both VDS cars. That was transferred to my cover and a flap was added.

They cut and seamed it while I waited and said they would keep the measurements on file.

Maybe have them check. Not sure if they made any after mine.

Thanks Eric, I did see your earlier post where you mentioned the whole flap design. I appreciate you mentioned it, I would have missed that important mod of the cover. I talked to Covercraft and they did indicate that had a measurement that was for the VMS that appeared to come from a 2.x with the center VMS location. They said they would rather have me mark the cover where I'd like the cutout for accuracy. I have to agree, I didn't know where the measurements would land for my left hand vms and I'd only get one shot at it. I wish they'd just add it in by default... possibly if they get enough requests for it they will.

Could you also elaborate more on where its located on your cover (any dimensions so I can picture it on mine) and a pic if you have one laying around?

Curious also if you have the cutouts for the vents located behind the driver/passenger doors? Any clue if these are really needed when covered? I could see possibly on a super hot day if there was heat building up under the car in around the battery pack.

I can shoot a picture and send it but not for a few days.

Actually any Driver Side window upper right placed hole will work with a 1.5 (left-hand VDS). It's the 2.x that is tricky cause you have to see around the steering wheel so placement is critical. Any DS window hole that would work with the 2.x would work with the 1.5s.

Yes mine has all the vent cutouts. Every one. I would not skimp in that dept. The 1.5's have the lesser cooling system already so I would not risk an overheat.

ETA
My contact was Jackie Dodd
Covercraft
Canoga Park

Last edited:
I love my Elemental Shower cap whch is a Lotus cover available from Sector111. It was developed for Lotus Elise by Brian Woods in England to protect cockpits from rain showers. It goes in in a flash and mush easier than the Tesla top. I keep it in a little bag tucked between the seats and throw it on each morning at work. I did not put the velcro tabs under the roll bar but rather use office binder clips to hold the back in place... works perfectly. I mostly use if for sun screening and keeping bugs out, but it has worked well in a rain shower also. Photos below.
P6243355.JPG
P6243356.JPG
P6243357.JPG
P6243358.JPG

I love my Elemental Shower cap whch is a Lotus cover available from Sector111.

I take it from the pictures that you have the shade top as well? Or are you just using the struts to hold up the cap? Or is that on the soft top?

My summer configuration is the shade top + the shower cap, and I haven't yet bothered to do anything with the rear of the cap as the car is inside at work and home - the weight of the velcro is enough to hold the cap in place in those cases. The shower cap goes on and comes off quickly, and tucks in a corner of the trunk nicely.

My CoverCraft cover came in for the Roadster and it looks great! It also has the vent in the rear, right at the lower rear diffuser but it appears a couple of inches off. (Vents: Front lower airdam, upper hood vent, rear upper vents behind doors, rear lower diffuser vent.) I'll call them to let them know they're off and see if they can make adjustments on future batches. Still lets air through. As for the VDS cutout, I may not need one. Since I have the 1.5 and my VDS is in the left side of the roadster I discovered I can peek at the display through the charge port.

All in all the cover fits like a sexy form fit dinner dress on the roadster :)