Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

You aren't a very trusting soul, are you? :D

Right before I started the trip, at home:
Roadster_StdToRng_Charge.jpg

At Paradise:
At_Paradise_Range.jpg

Back Home, Range:
Roadster_BackHome_Range.jpg

Back Home, Trip:
Roadster_BackHome_Trip.jpg

Yesterday I did a Range Mode charge of my 3.0 battery, The first since it was range mode charged at the Service Center the day I picked it up. Curious, I checked the SOC diagnostic display...I noticed the "kWhR" value of 78.63kWh.
Thanks Dave, very interesting!

Does anyone know if the "kWhR" figure of 78.63 shown on the VDS screen in Dave's post is the usable figure or the absolute total capacity of the battery? Given the "R80" badge, I assume the latter.

Does anyone know if the "kWhR" figure of 78.63 shown on the VDS screen in Dave's post is the usable figure or the absolute total capacity of the battery? Given the "R80" badge, I assume the latter.

I believe that it's simply an algorithmic attempt to quantify the energy currently stored in the battery.

I just took these pictures below. I've been out on errands this morning since my Roadster had Std Mode charged earlier, at 2:00am.

Range:
Roadster_Range.jpg

SOC:
Roadster_SOC.jpg

The fact that it showed a 78.63kWh value after a Range Mode charge is, I think, a good confirmation of the validity of the "R80" badging, but that's all I'm taking away from it.

We see significantly improvement in 0-60 miles time for the model S with battery upgrades of just a 11%
Did anybody already experienced the same when getting the R80 battery for the roadster? I can imagine that voltage drops less when making a 0-60 Sprint with the new pack and more then compensating the additional weight results in decreasing the dragstrip time?

I know for sure that you're 0-60 times will be more consistent and hold longer now that the ESS is larger for the reason it takes longer for the voltage to drop. I'd also presume we'd get a slight improvement in the sprint times as well unless Tesla is limiting that to be easy on the older electronics, but that's a guess.

One good experiment is to use the g-force / acceleration meter in the Roadster's VDS screen. A benchmark before and after the 3.0 install with a couple of good sprints on the same leg of road would be a good test.

I know for sure that you're 0-60 times will be more consistent and hold longer now that the ESS is larger for the reason it takes longer for the voltage to drop. I'd also presume we'd get a slight improvement in the sprint times as well unless Tesla is limiting that to be easy on the older electronics, but that's a guess.

One good experiment is to use the g-force / acceleration meter in the Roadster's VDS screen. A benchmark before and after the 3.0 install with a couple of good sprints on the same leg of road would be a good test.
Great idea, but does the VDS screen have enough resolution to display such a small change (one that's not felt already)? Will it display the difference between a regular and Sport model? I think the acceleration is in the logs, however, so the VMSParser would show it. Not on my regular PC right now, so I can't check.

I did this when I picked it up. IIRC, it showed 0.68g both before and after the upgrade. My bum-o-meter didn't feel any difference either.

So got call today from Rockville and sched for Oct 6. Ordered Sept 8. They say still a number of weeks for parts to get there they just wanted to book the appointment. Is there any consensus on best placement for the badge (Sport)? I did not see any pics. I'll record some numbers but not sure how to get weight simply.

Last edited: