Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I saw some of the twist plugs in a hotel parking lot in Klamath Falls Oregon on my trip in June. Would have been nice to use it over night. Might have saved me from having to go back to the Supercharger in the morning.

I did use a 5-15 on a light pole in the parking lot of our hotel in Elko NV which saved us from going back to top up at the Supercharger in the morning there. I also found some 5-15 on a parking lot light pole in Twin Falls but tried it and it wasn't powered up. It was later when the light turned on, but the spot had been taken by then.

Yes, we could have range charged at night but I prefer not to leave it sitting all night at 100%.

Is this what they look like? What is the connection on the other side of your adaptor? 5-15?

IMG_7205.jpg

Last edited:
You can purchase twist lock adapters. The only thing is you have to remember to turn down the amps in the car before you plug in.

Not sure which one you have in the picture. This one is for a 20 amp outlet.

NEMA 14-50R to L6-20P Twist-Lock Adapter
Thanks. I'm not sure either. I can see some writing around the receptacle but I can't make it out and I don't remember what it said.

Is this what they look like? What is the connection on the other side of your adaptor? 5-15?

Yes, I have that and a four prong twist lock. They were purchased in the RV section of an auto supply store. So, the other side has TT-30 making my other adapter (TT-30 to NEMA 14-50) a necessary go between. The four prong twist lock could deliver more power if it went straight to NEMA 14-50 but I want to keep thing cheap and compact.

Wyoming.jpg

Well, I hate to say this but the drive from Toronto, Canada to Casper, Wyoming was uneventful. Elon Musk and Telsa have made Superchargers so abundant that this was a routine drive.

The last time I attempted anything similar, there were still big gaps between Superchargers. That meant strategizing and rationing power. I expected to do the same pulling my trailer.

The closest I came to strategizing was when the Tesla route planner wanted me to leapfrog a charger, but I decided to stop anyway.

And so… that is what I took away from this drive. I resigned myself to stopping at every charger so that I could have a break. Knowing that, I hauled ass and paid no attention to keeping my power low. As such, my numbers are higher than expected and a hyper-miler could do better.

Totals:
820 kWh of power to go 1,706 miles at 481 Wh/mi (2,745km at 299 Wh/km) versus my lifetime average of 431 Wh/mi (268 Wh/km).

Other advice?

- Regarding Auto-Pilot with a trailer:
The car automatically engages “Trailer Mode” when you attach the trailer electric connection. According to the Owner’s Manual, Trailer Mode disables auto-pilot, increases the follow distance for Traffic Aware Cruise Control, and it locks suspension at “Standard” height. From my anecdotal experience, it also budgets more power in the Route Planning.

You can override this setting in the “Driving” menu. The Owner’s Manual says Tesla lets you turn off “Trailer Mode” in case you have something like a bike rack or storage bin attached (some of which have lights because they block your cars lights).

One could theoretically disable “Trailer Mode” while towing to re-activate auto-pilot. If one were to do this, it would be wise to disable auto-lowering and manually lock the suspension to standard. One would want to be even more attentive but one could drive for hours on auto-pilot with no issues… theoretically of course.

- The purchase of a TT-30 adapter was worthwhile. Why?
50 amp spots are meant for the huge RVs. Those spots are ugly and $15+ more per night. The abundance of Superchargers means a 30 amp charge is sufficient overnight to fill the gap. The 30 amp spots are also located nearer the ‘tent’ spots which are forested/scenic.

- It was nice to see some of the Superchargers supported by a specific business.
I came to love the “Hyvee” 24-hour grocery chain that hosted Superchargers in Illinois. They have fresh salad bars, soup, Chinese, pizza, and more.
And big props go to the “Thunder Road Grill” at Grand Island, Nebraska for offering all Tesla drivers a free appetizer.

- Blocking chargers with my trailer:
I was lucky and didn’t have to remove my trailer when charging. I’d always arrive to an empty bank of chargers (usually 8). If I could park on the end, I’d block two spots. Worst case, I’d block four spots. I would not wander far away but it is currently a long shot for 5 other Teslas to arrive while I was away.

So, that was the civilized, all highway drive. The next week puts me 500 miles, off road with few J1772s, unknown Nema 14-50s, and absolutely NO superchargers. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• FreeFood.jpg
    FreeFood.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Hyvee.jpg
    Hyvee.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 82
  • VariousChargers.jpg
    VariousChargers.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 86
LOL. I saw this photo posted on the manufacturer's Instagram last week and thought "awww, I won't be the first Model X".
What should one expect to pay for a trailer like this with the tent option. When I tried to search I found pricing anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 and the sites were not big on what was included for the price.

What should one expect to pay for a trailer like this with the tent option. When I tried to search I found pricing anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 and the sites were not big on what was included for the price.

They are $10,000 USD ($13,500 Canadian) new. I paid $8,500 Canadian for a used one.

If you are seeing new for $3,000, it is probably the "Sylvansport Go Easy." The 'easy' model is only a utility trailer. It has no tent option.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam and KJD
They are $10,000 USD ($13,500 Canadian) new. I paid $8,500 Canadian for a used one.

If you are seeing new for $3,000, it is probably the "Sylvansport Go Easy." The 'easy' model is only a utility trailer. It has no tent option.
the extra $7k just for a tent?

i would get this: Sylvan Sport Go-Easy Loaded Green Trailer

then just add a tent or two inside the trailer...

Last edited:
the extra $7k just for a tent?

i would get this: Sylvan Sport Go-Easy Loaded Green Trailer

then just add a tent or two inside the trailer...

That doesn't crank up. It is only a low, small trailer with 'roof racks.' The SylvanSport Go has an entire mechanism that cranks upwards. You can even load an ATV or Motorcycles in the "Go" model. The "easy" will hold some small boxes.

Reactions: KJD
Great video. You mention the tires being the limiting factor for "adventuring". Just curious what your plan was if you got a flat that was not amenable to plugging?

I'd probably cry for a little bit, ride my bike to where I got cellular reception, and then prepare my wallet for an expensive tow.

If the car was un-towable. I suppose, I'd have to leave the car where it sat, take the rim into the nearest service center, order a new tire, and put it back on the car whenever that arrived.

None of that was desirable and why I stopped when I did :)