Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise in MX vs. MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have input on the level of road noise in a MX compared to a MS? We have a P85D 19" wheels and the road noise is very annoying. It's time to start looking at new cars and my wife is very close to going with a Cayenne (test drove it and the road noise is less than in our P85D), but before we make the switch I was wondering if the MX has better road noise isolation.

Eclectic,

Here's my 2 cents on road noise, particularly in comparison with the Cayenne. The Model X is, in my opinion, much quieter than the Cayenne we had.

We had a 2015 Cayenne Diesel with 21" Turbo II Wheels. We used Pirelli Scorpion Winter XLs when it got cold and the OEM Yokohama Advans when it was warm (Yes, both were 21" sets). The Pirellis were actually quieter than the Yokohama's. The Cayenne was fairly loaded including Thermally and Noise Insulated Windows. We have two kids, purchased the car while we were in AZ, etc. Even with this feature, the Model X is much quieter. I'm not sure why, but everyone who has ridden in both vehicles with me agrees. Perhaps the Cayenne is quieter when both are using smaller wheels? Worth checking into if you're considering them.

I'm currently waiting delivery of a Model X 100D in early March and have been riding around in a loaner X P85D for the past two months (long story, but unrelated to the OP). I can honestly say the Cayenne was one of, if not the best vehicle we had ever owned. Feel free to PM me about the vehicle if you have any questions or concerns. Ultimately, we wanted more space with the two kids and the Model X is better for our current family needs.

Honestly, it's hard to go wrong with either car. FWIW, it took months of convincing to get my wife into an electric car. Once she took it for a drive, it was over. It was actually her idea to upgrade to the 22" wheels for the X, lol. Even with this, the ride comfort and noise were both better in the Tesla. She hasn't looked back or even mentioned the Porsche since then.

Again, great choices to have. Good luck!

Reactions: DIL and Eclectic
I think that the comparison partly depends on the test conditions. When road noise dominates, other cars may be quieter.
I generally find my wife's 2011 Lexus LS460 much quieter than my 2015 Model S.
Except when we are on a recently surfaced blacktop - then MS is much quieter, partly because of the lack of engine noise, even though LS's engine is much quieter than most cars I have sat in (I don't have much experience with other luxury cars).
MS is also quieter than LS when sitting idle - except when the AC comes on :).

Overall, I agree that Teslas could benefit from some more noise insulation.

I went for a service about the road noise. The technician said that the noise is within the spec and Tesla’s are noisier than other cars. She also said that most of it is wind noise coming from the huge windshield and the frameless windows and more than once said that she wishes Tesla used normal windshields.

She is wrong about the main culprit being the windshield. The noise I hate is being made by the tires on the road surface. Smooth surface - no noise, gravelly surface, yell to be heard in the car. Some of that noise may be leaking through the glass windshield, but, given the location of the tires, most of it has to be coming from through the "fire wall" and/or through the poor door/window seals.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I'm just wondering out loud...what if Tesla purposely reduced the amount of sound insulation because they worried that people would be freaked out at zero sound (electric motors=very little sound) when they initially designed the cars??? Maybe let in some road noise to keep people aware they were actually driving? Just a guess (and no doubt a poor one at that)!

I'm just wondering out loud...what if Tesla purposely reduced the amount of sound insulation because they worried that people would be freaked out at zero sound (electric motors=very little sound) when they initially designed the cars??? Maybe let in some road noise to keep people aware they were actually driving? Just a guess (and no doubt a poor one at that)!
i think the main reason would be weight reduction...?

i just hope that the redesigned S & X are going to blow my mind. :D (hopefully we see leaks and/or updated website by the end of next month and deliveries in June)

My Model X, delivered 6/2017 is the "Wind and Road" Noisiest vehicle I have owned in over 20 years, spoiled by Lexus and Porsche.

The lack of any soundproof insulation, large glass, and inadequate door and window seals makes it even louder than our 2014 Cayenne Diesel, by 7-10 dBs on the same highway stretch at the same speed of 75 MPH.

Comfortable dialogue is not possible (sometimes not a bad thing), but music volume is challenged to keep up.

Anybody find success by installation of anything????

Hmmm, I have had some wacky thoughts, but try to be careful not to post them in public...I have found best to keep such wondering quiet... but thanks for the chuckle...

The new ones aren't noticeably quieter than ours. Plus, the dated design is a problem for us, and we find Porsche acceleration to be, er, adequate. Not sure how anyone can complain that a Porsche is "sluggish", and we've owned a P85 and then a P85D, so we are well aware of how Tesla's accelerate from 0-60. I don't do a lot of 0-60 runs. I do, however, like to accelerate at speed, and I find the combination of an ICE and a multi speed transmission to be better suited to my preferences.

I loved the acceleration of my Porsche Cayenne diesel (408 ft/lbs), far better than any other vehicle ever driven... until the Tesla, while I never have driven a Porsche S - Turbo, but almost every ICE is "sluggish" compared to even a MX 90D.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
but almost every ICE is "sluggish" compared to even a MX 90D.

Yes, exactly that. Can't drive an ICE anymore because of that delay between the push on the "gas" and the actual move :) (Remember me switch from 286 to 386 or 486 or pentium...)

makes it even louder than our 2014 Cayenne Diesel, by 7-10 dBs on the same highway stretch at the same speed of 75 MPH

There is probably something here, My Tesla are the quitest car ever owned. It may be the tire or configuration of the road. We see so many different feeling here. (That said, the RWD Model S is quiter than any D (X or S))

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
We had wind leaking in through our back FWD window. I didn't realise that for a long time.

Perform the following test: have someone drive you at highway speeds, follow with your finger slowly the glass.
If you feel air movement, report it to your service center.
In our case I suspected they would realign the window but apparently they replaced the entire window.

It made a significant difference in noise at highway speeds and now we love our Model X even more :)