Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse made my car go forward...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continued testing and changed it up a bit:
Creep is on.
In park, apply brake. Car is on light INCLINE (gravity pulls backward)
Put car into drive.
Push gearstem up half for close to long enough to go into neutral but not quite. Finish pressing fully up and car goes into reverse.
Release brake.

Car moves forward against gravity

You are saying creep is going forwards while in R, even stronger than gravity pulling you back? (But this only happened 6 out of 80 times?)

Did you take any video? Did the screen flash “N” for a microsecond?
Did you verify it went into “R” on the screen all 80 times?

How many times did it take to get 80 trials? I assume sometimes you accidentally went to N? If you went to N did you just abort the test, or did you continue anyways and if so, what steps and what happened?

Doing this with creep off, where the accelerator could be used to go significant speed forwards while in “R” would be great to see a video of.

Last edited:
As for 80 tests, it was literally just testing. Back to back. Took about an hour and a half overall. Couldn't say if the screen flashed anything briefly, as confirmation was only done on "What is it now?" before disengaging brakes and moving, and then all attention was on surroundings.

It was very inconsistent and rare, so in QA terms we'd say there is a contributing factor that we haven't found yet. But I can't reproduce it anymore on 2019.32, so hopefully it's a moot point anyway. While I'm one to say "Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack", there comes a point at which reproduction using prior methods continues to fail enough for me to consider it not an issue. As long as it doesn't crop up in the future, I'm happy. ^.^

This thread seems to have some people up in arms. Like I said before, if there is a problem, it's better to find and fix than have it become a bigger one. Not everybody is a troll or a troublemaker when they find a problem. Take problems found as a way to improve and make things better.

Got in touch with a friend who has a model 3 and caught him before accepting the .32 upgrade.

Continued testing and changed it up a bit:
Creep is on.
In park, apply brake. Car is on light INCLINE (gravity pulls backward)
Put car into drive.
Push gearstem up half for close to long enough to go into neutral but not quite. Finish pressing fully up and car goes into reverse.
Release brake.

Car moves forward against gravity until brake is reapplied and re-released, then car moves backwards with creep and with gravity.

Reproduced 6 times out of 80 attempts, so there has to be a factor that is hit and miss.

Turn creep off.
Repeat steps above but use accelerator to remove hold.

Again car moves forward instead of backward. Release accelerator and car drifts backward. Reapply accelerator and car moves backward under power.

Reproduced three times out of 33 tries (The friend got sick of doing it after the third time it happened.

Upgraded car to .32.

No longer occurs in fifty more tests. I'd say that some of the "various bugs" fixed in .32 might include this, which honestly makes it a moot point, which is good. I'm happy to call it fixed unless somebody can provide a new set of directions to reproduce it at least somewhat reliably.

IMO:
"Don't use a feature of your car" doesn't feel like an appropriate answer. Either the feature should work consistently as expected, or it should not exist. If it does not work consistently as expected, that should be corrected or the feature removed.

We have a tremendous number of smart people in this forum, and awesome cars that just keep getting better. Better comes from improvements, not ostriching. Like somebody said, "Before you tell me to not worry about it and just enjoy the car...", though part of my enjoyment comes from helping find issues that I know can be fixed so that they do get fixed, and so that people are aware of them until they are.

Thank you for actually doing some extensive testing! I wish people would do more testing of possible issues before screaming about something that a lot of times either was just a fluke, or they just didn't understand what was going on.

Thank you for actually doing some extensive testing! I wish people would do more testing of possible issues before screaming about something that a lot of times either was just a fluke, or they just didn't understand what was going on.

I work in software support for a living. I find great value in testing to determine what the bajeebers is going on. ^.^ And... in RTFM. <.< *Goes to look up how to turn OFF Emissions Testing and Holiday Cheer modes without rebooting the UI.*