Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
His point is about the rear lights. If in the US they may need to install another set of secondary lights for when the trunk is open, then there are still 4 parts.

BMW iX for example has a second set of taillights inside to meet US regulations:
v4p65t5uwjlb1.jpeg

However, in Highland it appears they replaced the two bottom reflectors with lights, so that may meet the requirements, although it's not clear if it's mounted high enough.
qssu7gutujlb1.jpg

I already took care of that myself...lol

20230914_163520.jpg

Yep. I believe the reason for the one-piece tail light is alignment related. 2.5 years later and Tesla still can’t align the tail lights on their flagship Model S, for example. If you remove time and effort aligning the trunk with the outer tail light assembly, that's money saved.
They could have just moved all rear lighting off of the trunk lid onto the non-moving sides of the rear end of the car. Then they would not have had the extra expense of the bumper mounted rear lighting that needs to exist in case the car is driven with the trunk open.

They could have just moved all rear lighting off of the trunk lid onto the non-moving sides of the rear end of the car. Then they would not have had the extra expense of the bumper mounted rear lighting that needs to exist in case the car is driven with the trunk open.
That would make the lights a lot smaller (and it may fail to meet regulations) unless they make the trunk lid smaller, which would reduce cargo loading efficiency. Maybe they can work something out in the next platform change, but for a refresh like this, the current solution (lights that go with trunk lid) seems to work better (and other manufacturers do also even for completely new models).

Reactions: jboy210

They could have just placed lights behind the current tail lights.

That way - the lights would be higher. I don't like how low the highland lights are - when they are alone.

Reactions: Msjulie
That would make the lights a lot smaller (and it may fail to meet regulations) unless they make the trunk lid smaller, which would reduce cargo loading efficiency. Maybe they can work something out in the next platform change, but for a refresh like this, the current solution (lights that go with trunk lid) seems to work better (and other manufacturers do also even for completely new models).
On the current Model 3 (and Y), only the tail, brake, and turn lights not on the trunk (or hatch) are needed for regulatory compliance, so even if the lights on the trunk disappeared, there would not be a regulatory issue with the tail, brake, and turn lights. The reverse lights are on the trunk, but there is enough unused space in the non-trunk lights to move the reverse light there if they just removed the trunk lights.

Unlike the Lucid Air, the inclusion of the rear lighting on the trunk lid does not enable the Model 3 Highland to have a larger trunk opening.
watch-tesla-model-3-highland-dynamically-relocate-hazard-lights-when-the-trunk-opens_1.jpg

Lucid Air for comparison (also showing the rear lighting used when the trunk is open):
Lucid-Air-Trunk-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Making the cars weirder, less easy to use, less familiar, and having less features in general does not sound like a wining stratigy to bring in the non-early adopter crowd. Lower prices help, but the stalk removal is not saving more than $100 max. This is not the place to be removing things and turning people off. If anything, they desperately need BETTER stalks, with things like a wiper speed twist-control. That is what real product improvements look like, not this touch control wheel buttons garbage.

Also, how to you propose somebody 'try out' the stalkless design? Just put down $35-60k and hope for the best? All the fanbois say you have to give it a few weeks to get used to it, then you will 'love' it. Sorry, in no universe are most people going to do that if they have any strong aversion to it already. The only people who will already know their brain will convince them they like it, even if it objectively sucks.
Preach

Reactions: zoomer0056
Look at the red highland 3 labelled as 'before'... not the white 'after' abomination with cheap aftermarket clip-ons (that will soon flood Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and all jobber/resellers of MiC accessories once highland and juniper cars start to be manufactured and sold locally across North America).

The red car has the diffuser destined to come stock on the refreshed Performance/Sport/Plaid (or whatever Tesla decides to call the sportier highland 3, with the different seats, wheels, brakes, perhaps a tri-motor setup or at least the updated dual-motor setup).

Look at the red highland 3 labelled as 'before'... not the white 'after' abomination with cheap aftermarket clip-ons (that will soon flood Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and all jobber/resellers of MiC accessories once highland and juniper cars start to be manufactured and sold locally across North America).

The red car has the diffuser destined to come stock on the refreshed Performance/Sport/Plaid (or whatever Tesla decides to call the sportier highland 3, with the different seats, wheels, brakes, perhaps a tri-motor setup or at least the updated dual-motor setup).
No the red car has the same diffuser as what is already released on the “regular” highland.

It will not be trimotor until or unless MS Plaid is dced.

No the red car has the same diffuser as what is already released on the “regular” highland.
Really? With all the little fins ala Maxton Designs add-on for the vintage 3?

Dont see those either here:

Or at 3 min into this video:

The plastic valance on the vanilla models is simply akin to that found on the current-gen Y.

The 'sport' highland was said to have a diffuser down there (even if just for looks) which appears to be exactly what we see on the red car shared above.

We will all know in a few weeks/months when Tesla finally releases some specs on more parts catalog details for the top trim for the highland lift.

Really? With all the little fins ala Maxton Designs add-on for the vintage 3?

Dont see those either here:

Or at 3 min into this video:

The plastic valance on the vanilla models is simply akin to that found on the current-gen Y.

The 'sport' highland was said to have a diffuser down there (even if just for looks) which appears to be exactly what we see on the red car shared above.

We will all know in a few weeks/months when Tesla finally releases some specs on more parts catalog details for the top trim for the highland lift.
It's hard to see at other angles, but actually if you look at the picture I posted upthread, you can see the tiny fins on the standard car:
qssu7gutujlb1.jpg

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

Hi guy, new to the group! I currently lease a 2021 Model Y LR MSM. Has there been any definitive news on when we will be able to order the 2024 Model 3 “Highland”? I keep reading hopefully first qtr of 2024.

With that said I’m looking at getting a Model 3 but can’t decide between a long range or performance? No matter which one I get I want to slap on the Tsportline 20’s as I’m in Florida. I really wanted the MSM color or black but now since MSM is free it looks like we will be inundated with them. Thoughts?!?!

Hi guy, new to the group! I currently lease a 2021 Model Y LR MSM. Has there been any definitive news on when we will be able to order the 2024 Model 3 “Highland”? I keep reading hopefully first qtr of 2024.

With that said I’m looking at getting a Model 3 but can’t decide between a long range or performance? No matter which one I get I want to slap on the Tsportline 20’s as I’m in Florida. I really wanted the MSM color or black but now since MSM is free it looks like we will be inundated with them. Thoughts?!?!
I'm beginning to wonder if Highland in North America will be a 2025 release. The Highland M3P has not been released anywhere yet.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
You make a lot of claims that are not factual. You need to do your research. Please look up sigmoid curve of adoption of disruptive technology. Please see here. World EV Sales Now Equal 18% Of World Auto Sales - CleanTechnica).

Part of the problem is you're assuming that where things are in the United States and Europe is an accurate index of the world. It's not. China is the largest car market and it is racing to electrification faster than anybody else. That's pulling the global average up. And the United States is way behind both Europe and China so if you're going on US statistics you're again being misled. Please please get educated!
I've noticed that Americans really oppose change or new technology. Asia has always been the forefront of new tech and development. Walkmans, VHSs, DVD, LaserDisc, MiniDisc, fast trains, maglev, efficient mass transit, etc, etc. So many tech that didn't pick up in the states but people in other countries use and adopt.