Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Responses to NAIAS questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the post Brian.

I'm a little perplexed as to why such a tehnologically advanced car would not have options for blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control, or heads up display. These features are becoming increasingly more prevalent in the luxury sedan market. I guess we can't have it all!

Go back and look at when Mercedes/Audi/Lexus introduce those features. They almost always are incorporated mid-life into a mature platform or into a minor reskin. Products live or die based on risk management. Model S is one of the most ambition projects ever in auto development. Getting the powertrain and chassis dynamics right is where they need to focus.

Go back and look at when Mercedes/Audi/Lexus introduce those features. They almost always are incorporated mid-life into a mature platform or into a minor reskin. Products live or die based on risk management. Model S is one of the most ambition projects ever in auto development. Getting the powertrain and chassis dynamics right is where they need to focus.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Those technologies came out after those cars were designed and being produced. In this case, they existed prior to the Model S. I didn't state or imply that these options should exist at the expense of the more obvious important elements of the car that you mentioned. These pieces are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure there is a wealth of tehnical know-how at Tesla that a team could have put this together. Like I said...I guess we can't have it all! But, we are allowed to want it all!

Last edited:
I think the point is that Tesla should focus on Model S execution, and THEN, once the platform is stable and mature, they can introduce additional features. Imagine if they rushed all those features in at the beginning and had a crapload of bugs or had to push back delivery? They'll come, but there are far more important things to worry about for now...

...like auto-retracting door handles :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Those technologies came out after those cars were designed and being produced. In this case, they existed prior to the Model S. I didn't state or imply that these options should exist at the expense of the more obvious important elements of the car that you mentioned. These pieces are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure there is a wealth of tehnical know-how at Tesla that a team could have put this together. Like I said...I guess we can't have it all! But, we are allowed to want it all!

I think you just perceive that the technologies came out later. Generally these things are developed by suppliers like Bosch, TRW, Johnson Control, Continental, etc. They are demoed and marketed to car companies for anywhere from 3-10 years before they become commercial. A major car company will spend 2+ years integrating and testing a new feature like that even if it available off the shelf before they start.

Tesla is having no problem meeting sales goals with the options they have. More fluff is just asking for trouble.

Interesting, it cuts the other way for me; this large range on the air suspension, plus the active-drive benefits in handling, have locked in my decision to get the air suspension (unless test drives prove otherwise).

Me also. Don't forget Load leveling and better aerodynamics also. Much more useful than the twin chargers!

GSP

I agree as well. Tesla can not afford to mess the Model S launch or have many recalls. Imagine if Tesla has to delay the launch by 6 months due to problems integrating the active cruise control, blind spot detection, heads up display...etc or has to recall the first 1,000 car due to problems with those systems. I'd guess the number of people not ordering the Model S because it doesn't have one of those features is small compared to the number of people getting the Model S because of what it has with its electric drivetrain.

It's a matter of scale and cost, I'm guessing. The big guns such as BMW, MB, Lexus and others can cut costs (and get better deals with component suppliers) with scale and probably also do not expect to make too much of a margin (8% or so, someone said elsewhere on this forum?!) on their cars. Tesla needs to cut costs where it can and aim to make that 25% margin on the Model S that'll help their growth strategy. Needless to say, these "froth-on-the-top" features would probably be expensive for them and eat into the margin.

Thanks, Brian, for chasing these down! Your post helped me punt on the Air Suspension for sure.

NVidea said in a video posted from CES about the 2 Tegras in every Model S that they are working with Tesla to integrate the Tegra-driven displays with "Driver Safety" features. I also talked to an engineer at the factory visit in October who said adaptive cruise control is being worked on for a future version of the Model S. He said "we have to get all of our core functionality working, first". They have access to all the Mercedes versions of ACC, Blind Spot, Lane Changing Warning, Heads-Up, etc. (Bosch?) since they can use any Benz part they want. If think the hold-up is they have to integrate the existing hardware with their custom display panels. Also, they couldn't afford any bugs causing somebody to rear-end someone if the adaptive cruise control failed, for example. Not in version 1.0 of the product!

P.S. I have all these features in my 2011 E350 Bluetec Sedan, and I will miss some of them (mostly the adaptive cruise control). But the trade-off is worth it to me to never have to visit a gas station again, plus the 0-60 @ 4.4 secs will be a blast at every freeway on ramp! :biggrin:

It's very disappointing to hear that there will be no memory seat functionality, especially when you are paying $70-$100k for a car. Yes, I understand you can't have everything but even cars in the lower price range of under $30k have this feature and it's not new technology. You would think they can incorporate it into the touchscreen operations since it can control just about everything else.

It's very disappointing to hear that there will be no memory seat functionality, especially when you are paying $70-$100k for a car. Yes, I understand you can't have everything but even cars in the lower price range of under $30k have this feature and it's not new technology. You would think they can incorporate it into the touchscreen operations since it can control just about everything else.

Seat Memory is available as part of the "Nappa Leather" option; see item 3 in the first post on this thread.

Thanks for the highly informative and detailed information!

The only question he punted on was about the Signature downgrades, which I suspect has been "kicked upstairs".

Looks like I may have to get WiFi at home in order to upload things to the car. (I have hardwired Ethernet at home.)

Wireless access points aren't too expensive these days - my house is mostly hardwired, but if I have wireless issues in the garage I'll just put another AP in there.

Though it might have been cool if Ethernet was plumbed along with the other data wires in the charger cable....

/Mitch.

Yeah but... come on... For a $50k+ car, couldn't you get seat memory as standard? It's not like leather is required to chuck that in? </grumpyrant>

We still don't know officially if seat position memory isn't standard, but at least you have quite a bit of warning that it might not be. I certainly wouldn't buy a car with electrically adjusted seats without memory unless I was going to be the only driver.

I started to add a wireless router to my home but I was holding the router as it was trying to establish its connection and it made my arm go numb! so I didn't put it in. Even when I set it down I could feel it, not quite like electricity flowing through you but a stranger feeling. No wifi 4 me ;<

Uh, that seems impossible. You sure you weren't being electrocuted or something? There's no way a wireless router puts out anywhere near enough RF energy to do something like that.