Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Responding to the "Rich Man's Car" Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suggest the Volt and the Leaf are good alternatives until the Gen 3 is available. Not only are their new prices affordable to new car buyers, but two year old used ones are also available.

Other alternatives available nationwide are the Smart ED and the Ford Focus Electric, but for most people the Volt or Leaf will be better. In California there is quite a selection of EVs to choose from while you wait for the Gen 3.

GSP

I've heard the roadster called "rich boy's toy", so "rich man's car" seems to be Tesla owners are growing up :)

Gen III is the answer. Model S is half the price of the roadster, and Gen III will be half again. It is just gonna take some time to get there.

I sometimes respond with an answer such as this:

“It’s somewhat expensive, but you’re right, not everyone plans ahead like we did. We drove the same car for 15 years while saving for a new car. That’s how we purchase almost everything.”

Our friends, family, and neighbors then recall that we drove a 1998 minivan until 2013. Some thought we were poor.
(I like to call it frugal.)

I am quick to tell people I drove a '99 Chrysler Cirrus until the bearings failed for the second time, then went two weeks without a car until my Model S showed up. I saved for a very long time, same as you, eAdopter. My car payment is about $30 a month more than that trusty ol' Chysler and a year faster. I used to drive to business lunch meetings and park a fair bit off, or even fake needing to make a phone call before getting to my car so nobody would know I was driving a car that had blistering rust on every metal body panel except the roof.
Now, I occasionally get mistreated for having a premium car.

I have been posting all the good news that keeps flowing on Tesla and one repeated thorn in my side are the people complaining that your average Joe can't afford a Tesla. Interesting that it happens mostly on my FB page although it has happened on my Twitter as well. Yesterday when I was posted about the great safety ratings, these comments were made "another car for the rich to afford..." and "At 60 grand let's get back to reality for the masses okay?" so this is what I wrote on my wall today and already people are getting mad for my response: https://www.facebook.com/leilanimunter/posts/10151804592924371 I would be interested to hear other ways you deal with this type of criticism.

You're response is totally appropriate. I think we do have to realize though that it's a car lots of folks would love to have but can't afford. Right now, it is a rich (wo)man's car. That's the bitter truth and there is no way around it. So folks have to wait until Tesla makes an affordable option.

I suspect the the "affordable option" will still end up being $45,000 and people will howl... You factor in the gas savings and $45,000 starts to make sense for upper middle class people, but I digress...

The truth is Ford, GM, Honda, or Toyota are going to be the ones that bring electric cars to the mass market - I suspect. I don't ever see Tesla becoming anything but a luxury car maker because that's what they're good at. They will have cars from the 40s to the 100s much like BMW or Mercedes. I don't think bespoke cars really fits the $20,000 car market. We'll see...

The truth is Ford, GM, Honda, or Toyota are going to be the ones that bring electric cars to the mass market - I suspect. I don't ever see Tesla becoming anything but a luxury car maker because that's what they're good at. They will have cars from the 40s to the 100s much like BMW or Mercedes. I don't think bespoke cars really fits the $20,000 car market. We'll see...

The fly in the ointment here is that when you talk about a $40K car you're referring to a $40K ICE car which means the purchaser not only has to pay for the car but also has to pay a considerable amount for fuel (even more if they have a lot of fun with it). Some numbers, which unfortunately haven't been updated in forever, are here.

For me I could careless what others think.

I worked hard for my money, no one gave it to me. Govt does everything they can to take it all, so what I can keep I will buy whatever I want and not apologize to anyone.

No different than probably what people say when I drive my 911.

If you can afford it, but it (or anything you want).

Didn't know we have to worry about what others think.

Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

Your writing is excellent as usual. Another thing I add is that Tesla's first car was $120K and their 2nd car is now $70K and they promise the next one will be $35K. They just have to wait for batteries and get to mass production to get the prices down.

Oh, and I usually include refrigerators to the list of "formally expensive" appliances. I think it's good to have one thing they can't imagine living without.

To piggyback on vfx's comment, something that has been quite tangible for me, is realizing that the Roadster I drive now was a $146k sticker car (not all options taken). If you load up a Model S and can't stop checking boxes, you get to about $120k.

The Roadster will always have a special place in history and its own unique driving experience, but the Model S is a flat out more capable and usable car - it addresses a much wider market. It's also faster in some measures than a 2.5 Roadster Sport (no fair!), and it's about 25%(?) cheaper.

Tesla has been talking about the Secret Master Plan for years and years. And we're seeing it play out before our eyes. We only have two data points (Roadster, Model S), but they've shown up exactly as originally plotted in the Secret Master Plan.

It's happening; it's working.

To piggyback on vfx's comment, something that has been quite tangible for me, is realizing that the Roadster I drive now was a $146k sticker car (not all options taken). If you load up a Model S and can't stop checking boxes, you get to about $120k.

The Roadster will always have a special place in history and its own unique driving experience, but the Model S is a flat out more capable and usable car - it addresses a much wider market. It's also faster in some measures than a 2.5 Roadster Sport (no fair!), and it's about 25%(?) cheaper.

Tesla has been talking about the Secret Master Plan for years and years. And we're seeing it play out before our eyes. We only have two data points (Roadster, Model S), but they've shown up exactly as originally plotted in the Secret Master Plan.

It's happening; it's working.

The caveat was that the Model S was supposed to start at $50,000. It ended up starting at 60 and now 64 and really you have to get the tech package so now you're 68. Huge difference in potential market between 50 and 70...

So I feel the car has ended up being much more expensive to produce than the master plan. This is no real surprise for a new car company, much less one with a novel fuel source.

In the end, price will dictate mass consumer acceptance more than anything else. Tesla produces their cars in the most expensive part of the country. In the end, Ford/Gm/whoever will crush them in price should they ever decide to make full electrics.

- - - Updated - - -

For me I could careless what others think.

I worked hard for my money, no one gave it to me. Govt does everything they can to take it all, so what I can keep I will buy whatever I want and not apologize to anyone.

No different than probably what people say when I drive my 911.

If you can afford it, but it (or anything you want).

Didn't know we have to worry about what others think.

Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

Well keep in mind the OP, and many of your fellow owners, consider ourselves ambassadors for electric cars. So dropping a bit of 'tude like you are may be fine for this forum, but not so much for general consumption. You want to be respectful and realize not everyone has been fortunate enough to make the money we make. When they say it's a rich man's car you just say - for now perhaps, but in 3-4 years they'll have cheaper cars that might be better, giving the iphone example. Then you give folks something to be excited about rather than just rub their nose in it.

I think what the OP wrote on fb hit the nail on the head.

My 2 cents.

Well keep in mind the OP, and many of your fellow owners, consider ourselves ambassadors for electric cars. So dropping a bit of 'tude like you are may be fine for this forum, but not so much for general consumption. You want to be respectful and realize not everyone has been fortunate enough to make the money we make.

Who's rubbing anyone's nose. I simply saying I do not apologize what what I have--gesshh. I didn't come from much and made, saved and continue to prosper in life--what's wrong with that? I pay way more in taxes than I should, and I don't rub my nose in anyone's face, I was just merely commenting that I don't care what anyone else thinks about what kind of car I own. If someone wants to take a gamble in life, open a business, put their entire life savings on the line and become successful--is that wrong? If so, maybe complain to Elon--I think he did the same.

"You want to be respectful and realize not everyone has been fortunate enough to make the money we make" - Oh brother--are you kidding me. "Fortunate" is what YOU make it--some do some don't.

Trust me, I'm supporting the economy plenty, so I will NOT apologize for what I own (which doesn't mean faulting--it means NOT apologizing--big difference).

Last edited:
Then you get the woman I parked next to at a concert yesterday. She proclaimed loudly "What a waste of money. That car raises pretentiousness to a new level." When I didn't respond, she repeated it louder. I ignored her and walked to the concert entrance. I was a little concerned that she would do something like key my car. Probably should have taken a picture of her license plate.

Then you get the woman I parked next to at a concert yesterday. She proclaimed loudly "What a waste of money. That car raises pretentiousness to a new level." When I didn't respond, she repeated it louder. I ignored her and walked to the concert entrance. I was a little concerned that she would do something like key my car. Probably should have taken a picture of her license plate.

I would have laughed at her. They don't do that down here in Texas--at least if they don't want to get into a verbal fight or worse.

I sometimes respond with an answer such as this:

“It’s somewhat expensive, but you’re right, not everyone plans ahead like we did. We drove the same car for 15 years while saving for a new car. That’s how we purchase almost everything.”

Our friends, family, and neighbors then recall that we drove a 1998 minivan until 2013. Some thought we were poor.
(I like to call it frugal.)

Then the lights come on as they think about it and some will add a comment such as “you could have paid-off your mortgage with that money”.

We respond: “Did that too…years ago. We also saved enough to send both kids to private college.”

All on one modest income, with no financial help from anyone.

My point is this:
Save. Almost every middle-class American can afford a Model S. Most people simply didn’t take the long-term steps that were necessary.
You give me hope that America's not "done". Especially since you're hopefully impressing this wisdom on the young'uns.

That, sir, is brilliant! Only, next time, snap a photo of the critic and the car. Say nothing. It should scare the heck out of just about anyone who is acting out like that. It will also change their behavior. Make sure you maintain eye contact the whole time. When you do that, it's unexpected, it is clearly a form of documentation, and I can think of nothing more intimidating than accountability.

You might hit the point of the person acting frightened and demanding you delete the photograph. Creepy and silent. Points!

Here is a suggestion:

Think long term. And, at the rate sales are going, not very long-term, either. It appears that in a short while, Teslas may be so ubiquitous that there really, truly, will be little unique, little special about them at all. I remember when my colleagues first started wearing...wow! a DIGITAL watch! Holy cow!

Remember that this is Mr. Musk's Grand Secret Plan. And we all should hope it so succeeds. If so, no one will be making "Rich Man's" comments about them at all.

Never feel bad for your success. Be humble and grateful about it but I would never apologize for success. I've been in my VW Golf going on 14 years now. Had it through college, grad school, wedding, kids, and it's coming close to 200k miles. In that timespan, I've had some friends and family members go through 4 cars. I think the wait and fixed focus on getting the Tesla makes it even better.
Life is short. It is amazing how much you can achieve by planning ahead with clear goals.

I never feel bad that I am able to own a Model S. The only worry I have is someone with an ax to grind doing something stupid or irrational. I think it's truly best to not engage someone who is asking highly personal or inflammatory questions. Generally, the less they have to respond to, the better.

...next time, snap a photo of the critic and the car. Say nothing. It should scare the heck out of just about anyone who is acting out like that...

Love this idea!

Fun response option.

Her: "What a waste of money. That car raises pretentiousness to a new level."
Answer:

"If I knew whta that meant I would be angry...or flattered, not sure which."

You handled that with aplomb. In that situation I'm not entirely sure I could have avoided the use of an expletive.

Unfortunately, there are always those who will grind that ax...and key your car. Had mine keyed. Thank goodness for the XPEL...only minimally visible damage after it self healed.

Remind me to say out of Seattle :smile: Wow, I've had high end cars for the past 12 years and never been keyed. What the heck are people so angry about. That you drive an expensive EV?