Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request: Detailed LED Headlight Pictures/Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm all for the "prettiness" and controllability of LED headlights.
They are indeed also more efficient than xenon lamps but not as much as you might think.

LED has one major drawback however is that they consist of multiple devices ... so if one fails you have a compromised light ... that is 10x more expensive to fix.
So, LED yes, but I want to see them covered with a full 8 year warranty and not just a 50,000 mile warranty, otherwise folks will end up with some scary repair $1000 bills not just $10 for a bulb.

They are indeed also more efficient than xenon lamps but not as much as you might think.

LED has one major drawback however is that they consist of multiple devices ... so if one fails you have a compromised light ... that is 10x more expensive to fix.
So, LED yes, but I want to see them covered with a full 8 year warranty and not just a 50,000 mile warranty, otherwise folks will end up with some scary repair $1000 bills not just $10 for a bulb.

I can't recall the last time I was able to replace anything but a blinker bulb as an individual unit. And that blinker bulb was definitely more than $10. Probably the last time I could replace a headlight bulb was on my 1976 Ford Mustang II

It's physically possible to design a product with separate, replaceable LED modules. Just a little trickier and less convenient than making a single sealed unit, and you don't get to charge exorbitant fees for new assemblies when they go bad anymore.

tesla-model-x-led-headlights001.JPG
tesla-model-x-led-headlights002.JPG
tesla-model-x-led-headlights003.JPG
tesla-model-x-led-headlights004.JPG
tesla-model-x-led-headlights005.JPG
tesla-model-x-led-headlights006.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
Wow, those are bright! Thanks. I like the photos with the Model X glaring at me out of the dark. :biggrin:

The design of the headlights themselves aren't as glitzy as other high-end vehicles' LED headlamps. Much more minimalistic (Tesla-style). Sure do the job, though.

P.S. Why are people from Canada the only ones commenting on the headlight thread? This could be a very strange demographic study ...

• Funny
Reactions: Marcos
My review: the Model X's are the brightest and richest headlights that I've ever seen in a passenger automobile. The auto high beam functionality is pretty rock-solid, although I have noticed that it does not auto-dim for some motorcycles and cars with one headlamp burned out. My wife thinks they're too bright (she was injured in the Indiana State Fair stage collapse in 2011, with persistent post-concussion vision problems) and doesn't use the high beams at all, and I agree that you don't really need the high beams on the Model X even on the darkest roads if they bother you.

The low-beam LEDs on my Model X are not nearly as bright as those on the Model S, and they are aimed too close in, especially on the left side. If it is possible to adjust them I will be getting that done as soon as the Reno service center opens.

The Rocklin service center adjusted my low-beam headlights yesterday. It only took 5 minutes and now they are perfect. It was more of an alignment issue than a brightness problem.

As for washer sprayers, they're not necessary. The added height and way the car has been aerodynamically sculpted seems to keep bugs and dirt off the headlights to a much greater degree than Model S.

The Rocklin service center adjusted my low-beam headlights yesterday. It only took 5 minutes and now they are perfect. It was more of an alignment issue than a brightness problem.

As for washer sprayers, they're not necessary. The added height and way the car has been aerodynamically sculpted seems to keep bugs and dirt off the headlights to a much greater degree than Model S.

Yeah, in Nevada! Around here driving down the road for 10 minutes means liquid salt spray covers the entire car including the headlights, making the beam pattern almost irrelevant.

Add another reason to why "Northeastern sales" aren't doing as well as Tesla would think.