Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Onboard Charger Gen3 2017 MS75D...My Experience (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're gonna keep saying that without sending a part #? Or photo of the lid?
pic attached. i see it as gen2...

thanks all.
I will likely go with service mode and swap for a another master. My question is how do I know what I get is configured as master (assuming I don't get it new which comes as master)? I would like to avoid reconfiguring a slave via tool box. Still debating if I should gamble with an used one or just get a new one sold by Tesla (w/o warranty).

Attachments

• charger.jpg
    charger.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 121
tldr: If you posted photos of the outside we would have been able to tell you it was Gen2. Your internals look exactly the same as a Gen3, which has no 50amp fuses in them. Buy a new charger and be done with it.

When I google "Tesla Gen 2 Onboard" charger, I get these results...These don't have the fuses.
View attachment 923889
This is probably what you have but your internals look exactly the same as a Gen 3. You only posted internal photos so that's why everyone thought Gen3. While you may be able to figure out which charging bank is bad, I don't know if replacing one bank is going to work. Maybe if you got another doner charger with exactly the same PN and firmware, but at that point, why not just replace the charger itself. It's like $300-500 on ebay.

Hell...here's one for $400, Brand New in Packaging.

When I Google "Tesla Gen 3 Onboard Charger", I get this...which is exactly what my 2017MS charger looks like
View attachment 923890
Thanks, I doubt that's new for $400...

More onboard charger gen 2 pics
Your last picture shows two 30 A fuses and marking on the circuit board says,
"Replace Fuses Only With Same Type and Rating Fuse"
"F1&F2-F30AH500V"
"F3&F3-HEV30AH450V".

The two circled are F3 & F4. I don't see the other two. Look for them in the case below where you have taken out the board, or inline on wires.

IMG_5839 copy.png

Last edited:
Your last picture shows two 30 A fuses and marking on the circuit board says,
"Replace Fuses Only With Same Type and Rating Fuse"
"F1&F2-F30AH500V"
"F3&F3-HEV30AH450V".

The two circled are F3 & F4. I don't see the other two. Look for them in the case below where you have taken out the board, or inline on wires.

View attachment 926204
Thanks! I ended up buying a new one from Tesla. To take that module out we had to break a lot of stuff apart. At that time it looked almost impossible to access all that w/o breaking something...

I replaced the onboard charger on my 90d. Everything went well but I can't get the firmware to install correctly. I've tried several times but it fails at 60% and I have several BMS/GTW errors. The battery is on charge whilst installing the update. Both the existing and replacement chargers are XS 1-1. I've double-checked all the connections to ensure everything is connected properly. What could be wrong?

IMG_7249 (1).jpg

I replaced the onboard charger on my 90d. Everything went well but I can't get the firmware to install correctly. I've tried several times but it fails at 60% and I have several BMS/GTW errors. The battery is on charge whilst installing the update. Both the existing and replacement chargers are XS 1-1. I've double-checked all the connections to ensure everything is connected properly. What could be wrong?
I'm guessing the firmware update is failing at the charger update step? You may have to watch it inside the car...it tells you what system it's updating as it moves along.
Did you do a full software redeploy?
Where did you get the "new" charger from? It's possible you got a bum charger if it's used.

It might help a little if you can send photos of the old and new charger for comparison.

Reactions: Zeemo
I'm guessing the firmware update is failing at the charger update step? You may have to watch it inside the car...it tells you what system it's updating as it moves along.
Did you do a full software redeploy?
Where did you get the "new" charger from? It's possible you got a bum charger if it's used.

It might help a little if you can send photos of the old and new charger for comparison.
I'm assuming it's failing at the charger update step. On mine it doesn't say what system it's updating, just a progress bar.
Yes, a full software redeploy
Purchased from eBay (from a breaker).

Old and replacement charger photos are below.

New unit 4.jpeg
New Unit 5.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg
IMG_7299.jpg
IMG_7302.jpg
new unit 2.jpeg

Attachments

• New unit 3.jpeg
    New unit 3.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: Alexbv
I'm assuming it's failing at the charger update step. On mine it doesn't say what system it's updating, just a progress bar.
Yes, a full software redeploy
Purchased from eBay (from a breaker).

Old and replacement charger photos are below.

View attachment 929240View attachment 929241

View attachment 929233View attachment 929234View attachment 929235View attachment 929237

Great photos and detail! I'm not super familiar with the 3-phase units. One potential issue I see is that you're old unit is XS1-1 and the new unit is XS3-1. I know you said they were both XS1-1 but you may be looking at the wrong etching. Let me know if I'm incorrect here.

I have a 2016 Model X with 72A onboard charger that seems to be failing. Getting unable to charge warning on all level 2 chargers but car still charges fine upto 48A. It goes upto 61A in beginning and then settles at 48A.

Home charger video 240V/30A

Tesla Destination Charger 240V/72a

Is it onboard charger issue or thermocouple temprature sensor issue as i see amps going upto 61?
How long can it work before failing completely if i dont want to spend money right now?
Can the Amps fluctuation impact battery if i keep on using it until it die completely?
I am in Canada. I dont think there is anyone here except Tesla who can fix it.
Are there any instructions available for model X?
Any companies in USA who can fix it? I am in Toronto. I can drive to NY or Boston if i can get it fixed for cheaper than Tesla.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 Model X with 72A onboard charger that seems to be failing. Getting unable to charge warning on all level 2 chargers but car still charges fine upto 48A. It goes upto 61A in beginning and then settles at 48A.

Is it onboard charger issue or thermocouple temprature sensor issue as i see amps going upto 61?
How long can it work before failing completely if i dont want to spend money right now?
Can the Amps fluctuation impact battery if i keep on using it until it die completely?
I am in Canada. I dont think there is anyone here except Tesla who can fix it.
Are there any instructions available for model X?
Any companies in USA who can fix it? I am in Toronto. I can drive to NY or Boston if i can get it fixed for cheaper than Tesla.

Yours is slightly different than a Model S. It sounds like 1 or 2 stages (24amps each) on your charger is on its way out. Have Tesla diagnose to find out for sure. It's probably a $3k USD fix. I doubt the amp flux is going to do anything bad to the battery. Just software limit the amps to 23 amps and you should be good, temporarily.

I assume the step of going to a SC or approved body shop allows the car to enter service mode via location?

Also I’m curious if you’ve torn in to the charger, I have a 2016 X and i Can supercharge fine but my home charger and wall charger both start to work fail within a few minutes with the red ring on the charge port and error CHG_f083. I thought maybe I could replace fuses like a gen1 on board charger but it looks like you’re saying that’s not possible. I watched a couple Rich Rebuild videos and he took apart both a 48a and 72a charger and I could see the fuses in his video, did you discover there aren’t any fuses now?

Thanks in advance.
You can enter into service mode at any location. Was wondering why you had to drive back and forth. I got the same error coming up, charging at 16mls/hr instead of 38.... On a late 2016 MS 75D. Had to replace a lot of parts on it already, now this. Frustrating and adding up. I guess I will wait until it completely dies... Great presentation!! Thx

Reactions: dbldwn02
You can enter into service mode at any location. Was wondering why you had to drive back and forth. I got the same error coming up, charging at 16mls/hr instead of 38.... On a late 2016 MS 75D. Had to replace a lot of parts on it already, now this. Frustrating and adding up. I guess I will wait until it completely dies... Great presentation!! Thx
The firmware I was on, at the time, was Geo Fenced to service centers. I had to be in the parking lot. I tried entering "service" multiple times in my garage and it didn't do anything. The newer firmware may allow it now. I also have MCU1 so that be what's preventing me as well. Not sure.