Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update.... had the system foam cleaned at Tesla SC. Smell gone. The smell in mine got so bad that it started smelling like ammonia. I don't know what they did, what procedure the followed or anything like that. What I do know is they charged me 300 bucks for that service.

Which to me is bullshit. It's a 2022 S.... I shouldn't be having this issue at all. Never once experienced this issue with my Audi and it cost half as much as this Tesla and the service was 10 times better.

Update.... had the system foam cleaned at Tesla SC. Smell gone. The smell in mine got so bad that it started smelling like ammonia. I don't know what they did, what procedure the followed or anything like that. What I do know is they charged me 300 bucks for that service.

Which to me is bullshit. It's a 2022 S.... I shouldn't be having this issue at all. Never once experienced this issue with my Audi and it cost half as much as this Tesla and the service was 10 times better.
I would assume something like this would be done under warranty or charges zeroed as gesture from Tesla... Audi and most other dealers would do for sure.

I haven't done it, but here's a suggestion.

The cabin filter is placed before the evaporator coil. This picture shows the direction of the airflow, so you know which way the evaporator coil is located from the cabin filter.

View attachment 916434

If you take the filter out and cover the hole with the filter removed and put the Kool It hose down the ducting in the direction of airflow, you can turn the fan on and continuously spray the foam so that it travels to the coil and covers it.

To make it easier for current and future treatments, you could drill a small hole into the plastic cabin filter cover to insert the hose, and then plug the small hole afterwards with a rubber stopper, or even some duct or electrical tape from the inside. The blower is upstream of the filter, so the cabin filter area is positively pressured and dry so the tape will stay in place when put on the inside. Some evaporator cleaners come with those same instructions and rubber plugs to do exactly that for treating the coil, so it's not some radical idea.
It’s not there. I would strongly suggest not doing that.

sigh.........another update.......... smell is back. This is getting stupid. The only good thing is, after the ac is running for a bit, the smell does go away, where before it just blew smelly air. Now, its stinks for the first few minutes the air is on, then it goes away for the rest of the ride. EITHER WAY.... its a damn 2022, this shouldnt be doing this. I think the design is screwed up or something. Stuff like this makes it easier for me to start looking at different EVs coming out from other more well established auto makers.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
sigh.........another update.......... smell is back. This is getting stupid. The only good thing is, after the ac is running for a bit, the smell does go away, where before it just blew smelly air. Now, its stinks for the first few minutes the air is on, then it goes away for the rest of the ride. EITHER WAY.... its a damn 2022, this shouldnt be doing this. I think the design is screwed up or something. Stuff like this makes it easier for me to start looking at different EVs coming out from other more well established auto makers.
It’s common on everything. I am working on a fix, I will let all here know and make a YT vid. I believe the fix will be removal of the front heap filter and spraying coil cleaner in from the hood.
Yes bad design. The 3/y is even worse.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
It’s common on everything. I am working on a fix, I will let all here know and make a YT vid. I believe the fix will be removal of the front heap filter and spraying coil cleaner in from the hood.
Yes bad design. The 3/y is even worse.
There’s this service instruction (1810) called evaporator thermister remove / replace. Have you seen that one?

Spraying the cleaner through the thermister hole?