Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Supercharger in San Diego North County?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Last year (September 2021) 18 stalls of supercharging were closed in the San Diego North County for no apparent reason. There was a sign there that said new superchargers would replace it soon in I think it was Del Mar. But I cannot find any information on this anywhere.

Does anyone have more information about this?

Where can I go to find out what superchargers are planned for in my area.

It's like pulling teeth!

Thanks!

Where can I go to find out what superchargers are planned for in my area.
Tesla's "Find Us" map for general info on where Tesla may be working towards new superchargers in a region. But the future locations on that map aren't exact spots.

If you want more precise info, then supercharge.info and particularly their map (which shows locations that are open, those under construction, and where we've identified that Tesla is working towards building permits) is going to be your best bet. But this is a crowd-sourced repository, so it isn't official.

1645227611525.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Thank you. I have already checked those, but I only see a construction site in Torrey Hills. Nothing about Del Mar. Nothing about why the Del Mar Heights was permanently closed in two years (something I have never seen before). There's always this vacuum north of highway 56; plain as day on the map. So how about this: How does one go about making a suggestion for a location for a new supercharger site? How does one go about that?

Upvote 0
Again, thanks. I did see that before, but there was no explanation as to the why of it. Doesn't matter anymore. I'm just trying to figure out where the one they referred to was going to be built. I remember it said "Del Mar", so I'm not sure that means "Torrey Hills".

Do you know how can make a request for a new supercharger site? I know a location that would be ideal that is actually north of highway 56 that I would like to recommend, but I have no idea how one goes about such a thing. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Tesla has a page for people to fill out info on prospective sites for superchargers. From the comments I've seen from people who have used it, I don't think many ever hear back from Tesla. But, it's the only way I know of currently: Host a Supercharger | Tesla
You can also search records for other supercharger sites in permit databases. Some of those permits have email contacts for Tesla employees who apply for the permits. Might be a way to go direct higher up the food chain.

Upvote 0
You can also search records for other supercharger sites in permit databases. Some of those permits have email contacts for Tesla employees who apply for the permits. Might be a way to go direct higher up the food chain.
I generally think it isn't cool to cold call/contact a company's employees about customer issues if they aren't in customer facing roles (or, in this case, about business ideas if they aren't in a business development role). I've experienced this in former work positions and have only ever felt it was annoying to deal with when it happened to me, so I won't do it or encourage others to do it. Tesla explicitly provides a method for the public to contact them with location suggestions, that's where they want such information going.

Upvote 0
I generally think it isn't cool to cold call/contact a company's employees about customer issues if they aren't in customer facing roles (or, in this case, about business ideas if they aren't in a business development role). I've experienced this in former work positions and have only ever felt it was annoying to deal with when it happened to me, so I won't do it or encourage others to do it. Tesla explicitly provides a method for the public to contact them with location suggestions, that's where they want such information going.
While I agree it is annoying to deal with customers when you aren't in a customer facing role, in this case, they are putting their email on public documents. If Tesla doesn't want these people contacted, they should have a general SC email address that has a person dedicated to forwarding emails to people when the need arises, or work with the cities/counties to ensure that information is not made public. And current feedback is that the avenues provided for customer feedback are unanswered and maybe even unmonitored which is in essence a big FU to anyone who wants to contact them regarding SCs for any reason. Instead, we bombard public servants asking about information that Tesla should be gladly sharing with us. One they have a permit approved, they should put the exact address and estimated quarter of completion on the map. Generic year and city center can be the status quo for sites with no permit approval. Then we wouldn't need to hunt for sites or seek answers from Tesla. I understand the need for secrecy before a permit is approved but once it is approved it becomes public information, why not share that with you customers? If there was regular information exchange happening through said avenues, I wouldn't have suggested emailing the contacts directly.

Upvote 0
Instead, we bombard public servants asking about information that Tesla should be gladly sharing with us.
This is qualitatively different as, regardless of their position, they are a representative of the local government and that government has a positive obligation to make information public, e.g. via Freedom of Information Act (or whatever the particular state version of FOIA is called for that jurisdiction) applications. There's obviously no such obligation on private businesses and, in fact, Tesla has very clearly set a policy going in the other direction and actively works to deny sources of early information to the public.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Upvote 0
This is qualitatively different as, regardless of their position, they are a representative of the local government and that government has a positive obligation to make information public, e.g. via Freedom of Information Act (or whatever the particular state version of FOIA is called for that jurisdiction) applications. There's obviously no such obligation on private businesses and, in fact, Tesla has very clearly set a policy going in the other direction and actively works to deny sources of early information to the public.
Last comment before we get spanked for off topic. Teslas policy is crap. Sure it would take the fun out of speculating and searching (don’t know what Marco would do with all his spare time…) but if they have permits in hand, what is the harm in releasing the info and not making people jump through hoops to get it? And actually engage your customers when they ask for a specific location. At least reach out and thank them for the information. Explain the process (we look at your GPS and charge data). Tell them there aren’t enough data pints yet and maybe ask them to get some local businesses to support, not just demand a charger in a new location.

Upvote 0