Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement of Alpine IVA-NAV-10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the NAV? Are they still using their outdated POIs and no traffic for Nav? Once they integrate Google maps and Waze , they will finally be on par with free programs on a smartphone. Will check out a replacement at some point as the USB can't keep the iPhone charged while Google maps is on.

There's a newer version out now, the 957. Here's a link to the manual. I don't yet know what the differences are.

My unit is essentially their flagship 928HD scaled down from an 8" display (which wouldn't fit) into a 7" display.
There is traffic for the Nav, a "free lifetime subscription via NAVTEQ," and you can set the thing to suggest alternates based on traffic even while you're driving. That came up once so far, but I haven't delved into it yet.
The 3D feature is pretty cool, with different "height" settings.
I don't know how recent the POI database is, nor if that's updateable in the future. It has 6 million entries, they say.
The Nav uses its built-in gyro sensor and accelerometer to fill-in for the GPS when that signal is weak (tall buildings?).
There's a speed pulse connection for more accurate speed reporting.
The unit by default warns you verbally and visually when you exceed the speed limit for the road you're on. That's the first thing I turned off.
It has a Pandora button that seems to connect to the Pandora app on your phone. It's handy/safer to not have to go to your phone to switch between your on-phone music and Pandora, plus it let's you have different sound profiles.
I haven't gotten used to the Nav entry yet. It's more featured than the IVA-NAV-10, but I haven't decided if it's better yet.
There are setting for brightness and contrast for the rear camera. You can adjust the red/yellow/green lines/cones (and even turn them on/off individually). The rear camera on Roadster is mounted so low that you end up with the red line at the bottom of the screen.
For installation, it's almost all self-contained now. Whereas the IVA-NAV-10 had separate modules for HD radio, bluetooth connectivity, and Sirius radio (at least), for this one only Sirius is a separate module. So, there's lots more free space on the inside sides of your dash. I've been told by a few Tesla techs that where those units are mounted in the stock Roadster setup sometimes get splash up water and that's why they sometimes fail.

The unit does support the iPhone 5 and 5s, except that you can't control videos from them via the unit. So, lightning connector functionality may not be complete (but might be in the 957HD). Dealing with large libraries on the phone is supposedly much better, and you have on-unit control and search of all the functions I could think of.
I don't know if the 927HD charges via USB at 2 amps or 1 amp yet. Anyone know if there's an iphone app for that?

Now, does anyone know how to download custom welcome screens to these newer Alpine units? There are built-in options for button colors and such (which is nice if you have a red or blue car, for instance), but I haven't read anything about loading a jpeg or png image on an sd card for upload.

Might be a good option. iPhone support and Siri eyes free support would be nice. Not sure if upgrading is worth it for me until true Google Maps integration is present. Was not happy with user interface on original IVA NAV 10 model and outdated POIs requiring the phone anyway. I always have to phone with me so not a big deal I guess but if you spend $1,500 it should at least be on par with a $500 phone and a free program.

Last edited:
Can't believe I forgot the two best things about the new unit over the Roadster stock Alpine:

1) You can set for each bluetooth device whether to use bluetooth for phone or music audio separately. No more unplugging and replugging the iphone on startup.
2) The volume control starts working much more quickly. No more blasting yourself in the morning because you had it loud as you drove home the night before.

As for Google maps, note that I've been in areas without cellular reception and if so, you can't start or change a route unless you've cached that section beforehand (see How to use Google Maps offline mode on iOS, Android - CNET for details). And since the cache is cleared every 30 days, you not only have to do it in advance, you can't do it too far in advance.

Last edited:
BTW, I had asked the installer how hard it was to swap in the Alpine INE-927HD for the IVA-NAV-10. He said it was almost completely plug-and-play, except for one wire that needed to be soldered. I don't remember what wire that was (reverse, speed?), but if anyone it going to swap on their own and wants to know let me know and I'll ask again.

@Smorgasbord:
Are you still happy with the 927/8HD unit.
My NAV-10 stock unit just crashed and Alpine wants me to send it to them for a fix...........NOT!
If I need to take it out then it should make a nice speed bump as I replace it with an upgrade. I want the rear camera so the Kenwood unit is out for me. Did you install a front camera when you got the unit? Could it be DIY or is an Alpine shop a better idea?

@Smorgasbord:
My NAV-10 stock unit just crashed and Alpine wants me to send it to them for a fix...........NOT!
If I need to take it out then it should make a nice speed bump as I replace it with an upgrade. I want the rear camera so the Kenwood unit is out for me. Did you install a front camera when you got the unit? Could it be DIY or is an Alpine shop a better idea?
I would not let the proprietary rear camera with the Alpine dissuade you from looking at other units. I now have the Kenwood DNX691HD installed and it works great with the Alpine rear camera using this add-on circuit described these posts above:
Replacement of Alpine IVA-NAV-10 - Page 2 and Replacement of Alpine IVA-NAV-10 - Page 2
powerAdapter.jpg

@Smorgasbord:

It's a good unit. Not great. The Favorites screen is a big step forward. Live traffic is nice, but I haven't figured out what the right settings are - it seems to suggest things that won't save time. It's very picky about settings - you often need to both be in Park and have the Parking Brake on to access settings, even for what should be simple things like choosing a different EQ preset.

But doesn't have the two bugs that bugged me the most of the original:
- Can't change volume right after startup
- Pairs using Bluetooth for phone calls but wired for charging and music

Also, the built-in Pandora is nice to have, and the noise reduction for phone calls is way better. Still not good enough with the top down, but with the soft top on and speeds under 65 MPH you can actually be understood. I did not install a front camera.

How about this? Should be a drop in replacement and has CarPlay. Would rather get a Pioneer after how crappy the original Alpine was.

The Alpine iLX-007 was announced just last week
Alpine iLX-007

It seems this is purely CarPlay and has nothing else (Sirius...etc)

Last edited:
So I bought myself a new car stereo which has the standard ISO connector. It also comes with it's own gps antenna, microphone, USB, 3G and Wifi. Basically, I only need to connect speakers, power, dimming, parking brake and antenna. What connectors can I expect to find in my 2.5 with the Alpine headunit? I don't need the backup camera anymore, so that one is not a problem.

So I bought myself a new car stereo which has the standard ISO connector. It also comes with it's own gps antenna, microphone, USB, 3G and Wifi. Basically, I only need to connect speakers, power, dimming, parking brake and antenna. What connectors can I expect to find in my 2.5 with the Alpine headunit? I don't need the backup camera anymore, so that one is not a problem.

Great looking stereo , please share some pictures and experiences with us once you got it installed.