Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced tires on my 2022 MX Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And go with which all season then? Guessing you didn't notice much difference switching to a non-Tesla spec tire when it comes to noise?

I ditched the foam in our X, Y, and 3. We couldn't tell a difference re: noise.

Our 3 has Michelin all seasons, but the worst weather that car sees is an occasional rain. I had dedicated summer/winter tires for the X and Y because I think all seasons are a compromise that are simply a compromise.

Reactions: Tulipo
I ditched the foam in our X, Y, and 3. We couldn't tell a difference re: noise.

Our 3 has Michelin all seasons, but the worst weather that car sees is an occasional rain. I had dedicated summer/winter tires for the X and Y because I think all seasons are a compromise that are simply a compromise.
Appreciate the feedback.

I agree on the all seasons being a compromise. Hard to justify a dedicated winter and summer setup in the dc/nova area. Winters are usually not that bad snow wise but it does get cold. The summer tires on the X skip in the cold.

Our MYP is also on the stock summer tires (21.5k miles and still at 6/32) but I’ll be changing those to the PS AS4. Not many other options on the stock 21s for that car but surprisingly a lot more options for the 22s on the x.

I really would love to just get the dsw06 as they are proven great tires but reading the OPs experience and another thread where the OP had the Michelins has me second guessing. Wish I could try them all out to really see if I can tell a difference before I commit!

Appreciate the feedback.

I agree on the all seasons being a compromise. Hard to justify a dedicated winter and summer setup in the dc/nova area. Winters are usually not that bad snow wise but it does get cold. The summer tires on the X skip in the cold.

Our MYP is also on the stock summer tires (21.5k miles and still at 6/32) but I’ll be changing those to the PS AS4. Not many other options on the stock 21s for that car but surprisingly a lot more options for the 22s on the x.

I really would love to just get the dsw06 as they are proven great tires but reading the OPs experience and another thread where the OP had the Michelins has me second guessing. Wish I could try them all out to really see if I can tell a difference before I commit!

I live in CA, so probably more temperate than where you live. Winter tires are not only for snow, but perform under 45-50 degrees. I don't remember the exact temp, so you'll want to double check. That being said, it's we are talking about ideals. I've driven summer tires in the snow and while terrible, I survived.

The DSW06 is a good tire, but I think Michelin makes better tire.

i got the Conti DWS 06's all weather and they have a lot of road noise. I'm keeping them for now but will be getting tires with foam on the next go around.
Thanks for confirming. Honestly, that was my whole worry. My priorities in a tire are, in order:

1) All Weather Performance. I'll sacrifice some dry/summer performance not to have to worry come winter.
2) Road noise.
3) Tread life.

I'm less worried about range because I rarely take very long trips. I'll post an update once I get the Pirelli's installed.

Reactions: SunnySideUp
Thanks for confirming. Honestly, that was my whole worry. My priorities in a tire are, in order:

1) All Weather Performance. I'll sacrifice some dry/summer performance not to have to worry come winter.
2) Road noise.
3) Tread life.

I'm less worried about range because I rarely take very long trips. I'll post an update once I get the Pirelli's installed.
The tread pattern is going to affect noise more than foam. The tire compound is going to affect tire wear, but your alignment will have the greatest effect on the wear.

Hi @chudiddy,

So, I'm looking at needing to replace at least my rear tires on my 2022 Model X Plaid with the 22" wheels. Here's the weird thing. I have 12800 miles on my car and the front tires have plenty of tread on them. I can probably easily get to 20K+ miles. The rears are almost slicks now though. I'm flabbergasted. I have the OEM Continental SportContact 6's and was thinking about going with the DWS All Weather because here in the DC area snow and ice are definitely a concern.

I was worried about the road noise from the DWS's though because of their lack of foam. Now that you have had your tires for a while, would you make the same choice again? I don't want more road noise for sure. Is it annoying enough to avoid the tires without the noise reduction foam?

Anyone, else reading this have any insight? I'm debating between 2 x SportContact 6's for the rears or all 4 new DWS All Weathers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I was there. Go with the Pirelli Scorpion A/S that come on the 22" X non-plaids. They are just are fine. They are no where near sport Continental SportContact 6 grippy. They do squeal around corners but its a give an take.

I tried Michelin AS 4's without foam... no thanks. Without the foam they drone at city and low highway speeds. The fronts especially. They sound like an empty room drone. Its strange. I took discount tire manager for a ride he didnt believe me.

I was there. Go with the Pirelli Scorpion A/S that come on the 22" X non-plaids. They are just are fine. They are no where near sport Continental SportContact 6 grippy. They do squeal around corners but its a give an take.

I tried Michelin AS 4's without foam... no thanks. Without the foam they drone at city and low highway speeds. The fronts especially. They sound like an empty room drone. Its strange. I took discount tire manager for a ride he didnt believe me.
The other tire I’m considering are the new Hankook iON EVO AS SUV tires. These are available in the stock 22 inch size but not sure if they would handle the plaid power as well as the Pirelli. Definitely seems like the Pirelli are safe bets.

Reactions: signalbobby
The tread pattern is going to affect noise more than foam. The tire compound is going to affect tire wear, but your alignment will have the greatest effect on the wear.
I'm genuinely curious about your source here. I do agree that tread pattern affects road noise. That makes intuitive sense as well. I wasn't sure about the foam, so I asked the question.

As for wear, alignment shouldn't affect how fast your tread wears unless the alignment is out. If it is, then that affects the size of the tire's contact patch on the road and causes uneven distribution of the load, which would cause premature wear on certain areas of the tire. If we control for proper alignment and compare two tires, they can and often do have different wear characteristics, right? In fact, the Pirelli Scorpions have a 500 treadwear rating while the Continental SportContact 6's I replaced have a 240. Now, I understand that those ratings can be "off" because of the methodology of testing, but that is still a pretty wide disparity.

It also makes intuitive sense that summer tires with softer tire compounds would wear faster. The softer the tire, the more it sticks to the road, and, I suppose, the more you leave on the road where it stuck.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say, and I truly appreciate your input and this discussion, but from the wording of your post, it sounds like you are saying that the reason that my Continentals became slicks within 12800 miles was less because they are a softer tire compound and more because of alignment issues.

One point to note, the alignment actually wasn't too bad. There was a bit of correction required but nothing terrible. I'll post the alignment results shortly.

Thanks again for your input, I do appreciate how helpful everyone has been.

So, I got the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S, and I am happy with them. They are comfortable and quiet. I don't notice any more road noise than the SportContact 6s. I did notice that the old front tires would skip when I turned out of the driveway and in a few other situations. I thought there was something wrong with my suspension at first, lol. Looking back on it, that mostly happened on very cold days with temps in the 20s and 30s. @Tulipo's comment made me realize what was probably going on with those summer tires. I'm not having that issue now, for sure.

I've never run separate summer and winter tires, but then I never had the instant torque that electric cars give you. I've run all seasons on my cars forever. I had an E39 M5, which was RWD, and I never felt like the A/S didn't have enough grip. I'm still trying to see how much of a compromise I've made going to All Seasons vs Summer tires, but I do think it was the right call for now, especially with the weather turning here in the NOVA/DC area.

If it turns out to be too big of a difference and if I can figure out the storage space issue, I might look into getting a separate set of winter and summer wheels and tires at some point.

I'll try to update my impressions as things develop. @Tulipo I'm in Fairfax, right next to Centreville. If you are curious about how the Pirellis sound/feel, I'd be happy to meet up.

Thanks again, everyone.

So, I got the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S, and I am happy with them. They are comfortable and quiet. I don't notice any more road noise than the SportContact 6s. I did notice that the old front tires would skip when I turned out of the driveway and in a few other situations. I thought there was something wrong with my suspension at first, lol. Looking back on it, that mostly happened on very cold days with temps in the 20s and 30s. @Tulipo's comment made me realize what was probably going on with those summer tires. I'm not having that issue now, for sure.

I've never run separate summer and winter tires, but then I never had the instant torque that electric cars give you. I've run all seasons on my cars forever. I had an E39 M5, which was RWD, and I never felt like the A/S didn't have enough grip. I'm still trying to see how much of a compromise I've made going to All Seasons vs Summer tires, but I do think it was the right call for now, especially with the weather turning here in the NOVA/DC area.

If it turns out to be too big of a difference and if I can figure out the storage space issue, I might look into getting a separate set of winter and summer wheels and tires at some point.

I'll try to update my impressions as things develop. @Tulipo I'm in Fairfax, right next to Centreville. If you are curious about how the Pirellis sound/feel, I'd be happy to meet up.

Thanks again, everyone.
I’m in Herndon so I’m very close. Might take you up on that offer when the time comes. Thanks!

Please update this thread with your thoughts on the pirellis as you accumulate more miles.

I'm genuinely curious about your source here. I do agree that tread pattern affects road noise. That makes intuitive sense as well. I wasn't sure about the foam, so I asked the question.

As for wear, alignment shouldn't affect how fast your tread wears unless the alignment is out. If it is, then that affects the size of the tire's contact patch on the road and causes uneven distribution of the load, which would cause premature wear on certain areas of the tire. If we control for proper alignment and compare two tires, they can and often do have different wear characteristics, right? In fact, the Pirelli Scorpions have a 500 treadwear rating while the Continental SportContact 6's I replaced have a 240. Now, I understand that those ratings can be "off" because of the methodology of testing, but that is still a pretty wide disparity.

It also makes intuitive sense that summer tires with softer tire compounds would wear faster. The softer the tire, the more it sticks to the road, and, I suppose, the more you leave on the road where it stuck.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say, and I truly appreciate your input and this discussion, but from the wording of your post, it sounds like you are saying that the reason that my Continentals became slicks within 12800 miles was less because they are a softer tire compound and more because of alignment issues.

One point to note, the alignment actually wasn't too bad. There was a bit of correction required but nothing terrible. I'll post the alignment results shortly.

Thanks again for your input, I do appreciate how helpful everyone has been.

Re: the foam, we replaced the foam Michelins on our 3 with the same tire, without foam. Neither myself or my partner could hear a difference. It's not objective, but there are others who have had similar experiences.

Re: the alignment, the MS/MX are notorious for uncorrectable factory alignments that destroy rear tires. I don't know what the numbers look like, but I think they skew in the direction of chewing through rears in 10kish miles. There are a few threads about this.

If, in an ideal world the S/X had reasonable toe and camber values. Yes, tire compound is going to be an important factor in tire wear.

I don't remember what you wrote, but if you're saying that you tires need to be replaced in 13k miles I think it's an alignment issue. Photos would help here. Where the tires have worn will give more insight. IMO, your compound isn't at play here. On my X I rotated a set of summer tires every 4.5-5k miles (there's a thread where I tracked the wear values every rotation) and they were coming up on 30k miles.

Re: the foam, we replaced the foam Michelins on our 3 with the same tire, without foam. Neither myself or my partner could hear a difference. It's not objective, but there are others who have had similar experiences.

Re: the alignment, the MS/MX are notorious for uncorrectable factory alignments that destroy rear tires. I don't know what the numbers look like, but I think they skew in the direction of chewing through rears in 10kish miles. There are a few threads about this.

If, in an ideal world the S/X had reasonable toe and camber values. Yes, tire compound is going to be an important factor in tire wear.

I don't remember what you wrote, but if you're saying that you tires need to be replaced in 13k miles I think it's an alignment issue. Photos would help here. Where the tires have worn will give more insight. IMO, your compound isn't at play here. On my X I rotated a set of summer tires every 4.5-5k miles (there's a thread where I tracked the wear values every rotation) and they were coming up on 30k miles.
I'm not sure where I put my alignment results, I'll post when I find it. But yeah, unfortunately, I'm not able to rotate because the wheels are staggered. I don't have pictures of the tires, the shop tossed them before I could get pictures of them. Sigh. When I looked, however, they seemed mostly even, though maybe a tad more worn in the center. I dunno. We'll see how these do I guess. But yeah, 12,800 miles and poof. I'm not driving like a maniac either.. At least I don't think I am. sigh

I have heard that about the aggressive camber on the Xs.. Hmm.