Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if that's a high volume request. Sometimes I prefer to leave my car unplugged since I barely drove it and it's nearly topped off. I'm thinking some things might still be best left to the humans.

Whereas it's one of the things I like best about running VisibleTesla: every night at 11pm it checks to see if my car is plugged in, and if not emails me.

There are occasions I choose to leave it not plugged in, but I'd rather dismiss a harmless notification occasionally, than to not realize I hadn't plugged in, and be stuck without sufficient range the next morning... a much larger imposition.

Given that Tesla's recommendation is to leave the car plugged in when parked if at all possible, I suspect this feature would be welcomed by many.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who helped sign the birthday card for my brother. He never owned a car before and a Tesla is his dream car. So it makes a lot of sense for me to gift him one for his birthday. It's still not too late to sign the virtual birthday card.

Whereas it's one of the things I like best about running VisibleTesla: every night at 11pm it checks to see if my car is plugged in, and if not emails me.

There are occasions I choose to leave it not plugged in, but I'd rather dismiss a harmless notification occasionally, than to not realize I hadn't plugged in, and be stuck without sufficient range the next morning... a much larger imposition.

Given that Tesla's recommendation is to leave the car plugged in when parked if at all possible, I suspect this feature would be welcomed by many.

In Remote S 3.0, you can set the minimum SOC % before the notification is sent. This way, it will not bug you if you have enough charge but is not plugged in. You guys should really see what amazing possibilities you can do with background scheduling.

Thanks to everyone who helped sign the birthday card for my brother. He never owned a car before and a Tesla is his dream car. So it makes a lot of sense for me to gift him one for his birthday. It's still not too late to sign the virtual birthday card.

I would if I had a Facebook account... but I'm fully behind you and think it's very generous of you to offer your bro any Tesla he wants! I'd be very surprised if he didn't go for a fully-loaded P85D ;-)

Is there anyone here who didn't buy Remote S because of the price? I'm thinking about releasing a spin off app that will be free and will have a new, simpler interface (possibly less advanced features and ad-driven).

so is there any interest in that or did everyone here buy the Remote S app and don't need a free version?

Is there anyone here who didn't buy Remote S because of the price? I'm thinking about releasing a spin off app that will be free and will have a new, simpler interface (possibly less advanced features and ad-driven).

The price made me think twice (and wait a few weeks of reading reviews here) before buying. I think it's fair to say that there are very few Model S owners who would have trouble affording the app, but probably many who aren't sure if it offers value to them.

So a free version of the full features, either time-limited or with obnoxious ads that can be made to go away by paying the price would seem to be more applicable than a cut-down version (as a cut-down version doesn't really let you tell whether the full features offer value).

And if you do offer anything ad-driven, please offer a buy-out option! I really hate ads in a tool I use regularly, especially on a small screen.

Using max cool has twice set off the car alarm. Don't understand why.

By this I mean going in to the "advanced menu" and toggling "Max cool on" which vents the roof and puts HVAC on Lo at fan speed 11.

The alarm stops when you unlock the car even from the app.

Last edited:
In Remote S 3.0, you can set the minimum SOC % before the notification is sent. This way, it will not bug you if you have enough charge but is not plugged in. You guys should really see what amazing possibilities you can do with background scheduling.

Sounds good... the remote scheduling interface looks well thought out.

I actually haven't bought it yet, not because of price, but because thus far I don't have an Apple watch, and there isn't anything I currently need that I'm not already doing with either the existing App or VT on my desktop.

But I'm following and interested, and am considering for purchase.

Thanks for all the development effort, and I echo the sentiments for a speedy recovery for you...

so is there any interest in that or did everyone here buy the Remote S app and don't need a free version?
I would be shocked if, given the reviews, model S, and future model X owners, would not purchase the app because of price. As to the free app. I would prefer to use the TM app than sign on to an app that contains ads.

My 2c for what it's worth. I've been using your app since it came out and find the following:

Positives:
- seems to be faster connectivity to the car (starts up faster and refreshes faster than the native app)
- like the additional functions available to the user that the native app doesn't offer

Negatives:
- the user interface seems dated/archaic. Like it's trying to do too much on one screen. The Tesla native app has a beautiful interface. I would like to see a more "Apple-like" experience rather than so many small buttons on one screen.

Thanks again for making this - obviously you have a keen eye for providing people with things they need and making money doing so. Good for you and I wish you continued success!

The price made me think twice (and wait a few weeks of reading reviews here) before buying. I think it's fair to say that there are very few Model S owners who would have trouble affording the app, but probably many who aren't sure if it offers value to them.

So a free version of the full features, either time-limited or with obnoxious ads that can be made to go away by paying the price would seem to be more applicable than a cut-down version (as a cut-down version doesn't really let you tell whether the full features offer value).

And if you do offer anything ad-driven, please offer a buy-out option! I really hate ads in a tool I use regularly, especially on a small screen.
I agree with this.

Using max cool has twice set off the car alarm. Don't understand why.

By this I mean going in to the "advanced menu" and toggling "Max cool on" which vents the roof and puts HVAC on Lo at fan speed 11.

The alarm stops when you unlock the car even from the app.
I have heard of this before when someone simply opened the roof and the alarm went off. I think it has to do with the roof venting during Max Cool. Was it raining when it happened? Maybe it alarmed because the roof opened in the rain and the car was warning you.

- - - Updated - - -

My 2c for what it's worth. I've been using your app since it came out and find the following:

Positives:
- seems to be faster connectivity to the car (starts up faster and refreshes faster than the native app)
- like the additional functions available to the user that the native app doesn't offer

Negatives:
- the user interface seems dated/archaic. Like it's trying to do too much on one screen. The Tesla native app has a beautiful interface. I would like to see a more "Apple-like" experience rather than so many small buttons on one screen.

Thanks again for making this - obviously you have a keen eye for providing people with things they need and making money doing so. Good for you and I wish you continued success!

the negative can be a positive to someone else like me who wants all the info in one screen. But I understand why it's a negative to people who want clutter-free interfaces. That is why I have plans to work on a new interface for my spin off app that would be more similar to what you are saying. This way users have a choice of either the advanced Remote S app or the simplified Remote S spin off app.

I have a Samsung gear s. So far no apps for the tesla ? Can you help?

Rego: no, it wasn't raining or windy either. It was just on two different hot summer days. Could the max fan + vented roof create enough air movement that it sets off the motion sensors??? Or vibrations setting off the alarm?

I've never had this happen from just turning on HVAC or from venting the roof, only from your max cool combo.

Rego: no, it wasn't raining or windy either. It was just on two different hot summer days. Could the max fan + vented roof create enough air movement that it sets off the motion sensors??? Or vibrations setting off the alarm?

I've never had this happen from just turning on HVAC or from venting the roof, only from your max cool combo.

it happened to someone who opened his roof all the way, so it definitely is related to the roof opening. You might have figured it out. Can you watch the car next time and repeat the max cool process and see if the Alarm goes off regular? If so, the simple fix would be to just unlock and the door.

If I were you, and I suggested this before, I'd create the iOS and android version of EV trip planner. Not to take away from that author's accomplishments (it a young man), it hasn't had any enhancements for a long time, and a mobile version I'm sure would be preferred by many. Combined with access to Tesla's API, you could offer many features that we've discussed on TMC, such as alerting the driver via the app when they have reached sufficient charge to get to the next SC, with whatever margin they wish. Plus you could support all chargers, not just Tesla's SCs. Feature rich and useful, you could charge $20 or even more imho. Sign me up for the beta..

It's basically Tesla's trip planner but it would actually work and you could plan your trip from anywhere, not just sitting in the car. Do it well and I bet tesla would ask to license it.

If I were you, and I suggested this before, I'd create the iOS and android version of EV trip planner. Not to take away from that author's accomplishments (it a young man), it hasn't had any enhancements for a long time, and a mobile version I'm sure would be preferred by many. Combined with access to Tesla's API, you could offer many features that we've discussed on TMC, such as alerting the driver via the app when they have reached sufficient charge to get to the next SC, with whatever margin they wish. Plus you could support all chargers, not just Tesla's SCs. Feature rich and useful, you could charge $20 or even more imho. Sign me up for the beta..

It's basically Tesla's trip planner but it would actually work and you could plan your trip from anywhere, not just sitting in the car. Do it well and I bet tesla would ask to license it.

I had plans for this

Status
Not open for further replies.