Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relative handling of 85, 85D, P85, P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind, P85+ had fairly basic tire setup
Narrow Michelin PS2 tires is just not a match for MS
P85D gets some help from the front motor to deal with this issue
Ever since i put 20inch PSS tires (see sig), car became completely different animal
It's a lot better than BMW 5-er or Audi S6 i had
And with low air suspension setting it is absolutely awesome

Keep in mind, P85+ had fairly basic tire setup
Narrow Michelin PS2 tires is just not a match for MS
P85D gets some help from the front motor to deal with this issue
Ever since i put 20inch PSS tires (see sig), car became completely different animal
It's a lot better than BMW 5-er or Audi S6 i had

this too!

mine are 19" though. run at ~35psi and it is a different car

The P85+ showed a huge improvement in handling and "planted" feeling over the P85 that I drove. The 85D I drove recently, prior to this latest performance update, felt much more tossable in the corners; with the front wheel gripping in the corners to pull the front end under control and out really fast!

The DS I drove with told me he could not detect a difference in handling between his extensive drives in the D and PD. At the time, I didn't think much of it, but I do notice now that after TM's latest order page revision, the "sport tuned suspension" blurb has been taken out of the PD's description where it seemed to be a key differentiator with the D before (along with gobs more power, of course). Hmmmmm...

I've driven a P85+ for a year and a half and P85D for about a month now. For me P85D is as a big improvement. It seems to roll less when cornering and has a tighter steering feel. I was surprised by how compliant it was at a race track. No surprises at all. I could nearly point the wheel where I want to go and keep the accelerator at 100% - no thinking required (especially when the heat limiter kicks in, but that's another story).

Last edited:
"I was going to say that I think the P85 needs more front camber and maybe a bigger sway bar. The outside edges of my fronts are slick from hard cornering.
also it is pretty close to an M3 equivalent in autocross for comparison"

Did I mention Zex is my hero :)